Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #29

I'm looking at an M2 right now with a Mercedes engine it has a really nice 28' box on the back with a hydraulic lift but I'm trying to work at a deal with out the box or lift. It's a regular cab with Allison automatic transmission the only problem is it has 650,000 miles but if i can get it for under 6k I'll just run it till it dies then swap engines. It will also need a heck of a frame chop

FW related, how much do you guys pay for registering your RV every year? I find it crazy that here in Colorado this FW is almost 30 years old and the tags still cost $100
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
In Ohio, it is $35/year plus some counties have a $5 to $15 local tax. My 1ton dually is $86 /year for non commercial plus any county tax.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #31

Well my fourth of July camping plan didn't happen as I've been way too busy with my business which also means I haven't touched the thing since I installed the tv. But I'm going to have to use it this upcoming week so I've been busting my butt trying to get as much finished as possible. The past three days I've been building cabinet doors and I'm already sick of it Although I'm really happy with the way the entire thing has turned out. So here's a picture of the cabinets FINALLY with doors on them

Tomorrow I should have all the doors hung on the opposite side so more pics to come
Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #32

Well I've been so busy that I forgot to post up some pics.

Still need the kitchen sink and the rock veneer backsplash in the kitchen and then the entire bottom of the fw is finished. Then I will start on the bath (with tile surround) and the bedroom.

Oh and might as well post the "fun" I had with others not knowing how to park. This story is full of bad language

And behind my 6.4
Old 08-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #33

Here's a picture of where I was "camping" for that week. The fw is right at the point of the red arrow directly in the center of the picture. This picture also shows our nice orange river
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking very nice! You should be proud! Rail!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #35

So now I'm back at it looking for a tow pig and for the past few months I've been all over the board lookating at m2's, f450's and fl trucks. I think I may end up with an fl truck as the prices are a lot cheaper than the m2 trucks and I don't know if the f450 has the really "cool" factor I'm going for Now that I've kind of narrowed my search wht is the best engine/transmission combo I should be Looking for? I probably will end up going with a flatbed and blacking the truck out. Here's a rough photoshop of what I'm looking to do.

I mainly want it to pull this.

I will also post some picture of this trailer considering it falls in the vintage section and I will be putting a weekender living quarters in the nose.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #36

Hard to beat the 8.3L 6ct Cummins with any trans
Allison MD3060 if it's an auto
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #37

For the engine that's what I was leaning towards. Hows the aftermarket for those engines? Are there any easy upgrades for that engine to get more power out of it?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #38

Okay so I guess I will post some pictures of the progress I've made on this trailer and what still needs to be done to it.
It's a 1993 trail-et 4 horse face to face trailer with a 4' tack on the front. It has a rear ramp and a side ramp (important feature for me). These trailers for there time I think were years ahead of the market with how they were made. It's a steel frame with aluminum skin and fiberglass roof all the walls are also insulated. I purchased it for $3000 plus my 2 horse straight load trailer I was selling. Even in the condition it was in I think I got a smokin deal. And of course I had the final product pictured in my head and most people though I was crazy because how is "this" going to turn into something that will turn heads. This was a few hours after picking it up, I also found out it had two broken windows and wasn't real happy that, that wasn't disclosed to me before driving 3 hours to buy it.

A few days later I started to tackle this project. I started stripping the paint off this beast. I think I ended up using about 5 gallons of stripper. This process was extremely cool and burnt the hell out of your hands if you weren't wearing gloves.

Once all the paint was removed the hardest part of the entire project was about to begin. Well it isn't hard it's soooooooo time consuming. Polishing. I used three different wheels with three different rouges and two passes with each wheel. I have a couple hundred hours in polishing.
It immediately starts getting shiny after the first pass.

I have tons of polishing pictures but here are a few.

I used chemical guys metal wax as the last step.

I picked up new wheels and tires for it off craigslist for $500 because those rusty old school steel rims weren't going to cut it. Tires and wheels were a year old with a couple hundred miles on them off of a toy hauler.

After I took a break from polishing my life away I got back at it and chopped the side ramp and back ramp off. The side ramp had to go because I wanted a full length ramp without the little door on top and the rear ramp had to go because I wanted it to be flush inside the trailer because I need to build a top section to completely enclose the trailer.

Then it was time to skin the ramps and install the back windows.

Then we got some paint on it.

After the paint dried I trimmed out the back in 2" aluminum flat stock, installed the 3/4" clear led marker lights and the clear led tail lights.

After I painted it I decided to close in the lower part of the neck so that's why there is a random white piece of sheet metal in the front.

Diamond plate installation to close in the neck.

It will be getting two doors, one that drops down and one that opens up.
And now we're all caught up. The two broken windows are being fixed as we speak and I also installed the radio antenna and the outdoor speakers.

Next post will explain what's left to do.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #39

Trailer rebuild

Enjoying your pictures and story. Very nice work!!
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcox1 View Post
For the engine that's what I was leaning towards. Hows the aftermarket for those engines? Are there any easy upgrades for that engine to get more power out of it?
First, install a pyrometer so any mods don't burn your pistons.

Give it more fuel--grind the fuel stop plate.
Let it wind up a little more--2,800 or 3,000rpm governor spring
Give it more air--better breathing intake
Let it breathe better--larger exhaust
Give it even more fuel--p-pump tuning
Give it more air - bigger, freer-breathing turbo. Higher pressures =/= better economy and power. Look for a slightly larger turbo. You're less concerned about lag and more about getting more air to the engine, let it run cooler and burn ALL the fuel you're sending to it.

You can go crazy from there, but you'll quickly get into "I need an expensive transmission upgrade to handle it" territory.

Oh yeah, and add big tow mirrors. Everyone knows that big tow mirrors add 50hp to a 'Cummings'.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #41

Plus the big C on the back window is good for another 50hp So pretty much normal engine mods can be done to. I just wasn't sure how the aftermarket was.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #42

I bet that truck you are thinking of getting is going to ride like a rock compared to a pickup truck, don't you?

Tags
coachmen