Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #15

Jeez let us know when you make it home! That sounds so awful
ChazMikels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #16

I got about 30 min down road and engine started making horrible noise. After removing both valve covers I unfortunately have bent rods on both sides and valve fell down. I ordered gaskets and am about to tear into it. This is the actual reason I lost oil pressure so I replaced oil pump for nothing. Replacing oil pump was actually easy but unnecessary. I did drain the old gas out and put new gas in with gas treatment as I couldn't get all old gas out without dropping tank. I'm assuming the bad gas is the reason fuel pump stopped working too as the reason generator wasn't working as well. I disconnected fuel line to tank and gravity fed gas to generator which works great.
Blissfull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You go Girl ! I have confidence you will manage this problem as you have the others . Sorry you are doing it under the circumstances you are in ! I have done many repairs on the side of the road or in Ice covered parking lots in the 25 years I drove 18 wheelers . Good Luck and God Bless !

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Pretty sure I DID offer solutions to the problem. Based my personal experiences with the exact same problem but nevermind and moving on.

I've seen people use some extra diesel or kerosene as engine flushes. Also some commercial stuff labeled "engine flush" that seemed suspiciously very much like a can of kerosene. Though those have some effect I've gotten where I prefer to use a quart of Dexron III/Mercon added to the crankcase. Automatic transmission fluid is almost a 10W oil so you don't have to worry about diluting the viscosity of the engine so much. Key to it though is that such transmission fluid has a boatload of "detergents" in it. So instead of just rinsing it's actually scrubs things a bit.
But these days most engines run so clean the need for oil flushes is kind of a thing of the past. Except for extraordinary circumstances, like a boat engine having gone underwater as brought up before or when dealing antiquated machinery.
Doesn't mean you can't do it if you just want to though.
We agree, and a point here. Have you ever seen a tranny gummed up? And someone will respond yes of course.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #19

This isn't that bad of a job to do....just time consuming as all heck. I recently just had to do EXACTLY the same thing to my 91. bad gas from sitting for year had the intake valves gummed up, and caused about all of the push rods to bend. Engine missed like crazy.
If you pull the intake manifold off, you can see all the pushrods and lifters easily. I ended up pulling off my heads, cleaned the valves, replaced the valve seats, replaced all the pushrods, cleaned everything like crazy, replaced every gasket along the way. Took me a whole weekend.
Thing runs very well and smooth now. Cost me less than maybe $400? to do it all. I replaced the thermostat, and upper radiator hose/heater hoses too.
I recommend replacing as much as you can afford to since the thing will be massively apart doing this...

Let me know if you need any help or advise ..its all still fresh in my head from doing it about 2 months ago...
MtylerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #20

Here are pics of how bad mine were:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6010.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	308483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6120.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	308484  

Name:	IMG_6122.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	308485  
MtylerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While you have the heads off take the heads to a professional for a valve job. They will check for bent valves, clean up and re-grind the valve seats and the valves and make the heads basically new again. They will also replace the valve stem seals for you and re-install the valve springs.

Call around to get some prices. Be sure you find a shop that does good honest work.

When you reassemble use quality seals and gaskets everywhere!

Presuming that is all your problems it should run well.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #22

I have tore into it and it's ugly. Like yours?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Bent pushrod and bad gas? Been there and done that. The crud in the fuel goes through OK when started up and ran. But when the engine is shut off and it cools down, the crud can set up in a valve guide like superglue. It glues the valve in place. Then next time you turn the engine over that valve is NOT going to move and something has to give. The weak link is the pushrod. If you just replace it, it will just get bent again. Probably immediately.

In my case I bent about four pushrods. The fix for me was to pull the cylinder heads and disassemble the valves. Not all of them were stuck. The stuck ones I had to heat up pretty hot with a propane torch and then tap them out with a hammer. Basically all I did was clean the valves and guides by hand and with carburetor cleaner. Since things were apart I lapped the valves and treated everything to new gaskets and valve stem seals.

Your options? I don't know. I knew my way around an engine when it happened to me. Gotchas I can think of.
The exhaust manifold bolts tend to be difficult and often just break right off.
When you get down to taking the heads off, those suckers are quite heavy and in an awkward place to lift up and out.
To disassemble you need one of a couple of types of valve spring tool. This is one type I favor. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Another is actually a bit easier to use when heads off the engines. https://www.toolplanet.com/product/8...hoCvSkQAvD_BwE
One may be available at your parts store tool loan program.
To reassemble you have to have a torque wrench for the cylinder head bolts if nothing else. Best to torque the intake too. The rest of the required tools are normal socket and wrenches mostly.
Gasket are expensive locally, especially head gaskets. Rock Auto tends to have much much better prices on head gaskets at the least.

All doable by a newbie who can turn a wrench a bit. Just have to take care expect that help might be needed with exhaust manifold bolt issues and actually removing the heads.

It MIGHT be possible the disassemble the valve from the top to where you can use heat and (HIGHLY FLAMMABLE) carburetor cleaner to get the stuck valve(s) loose. If you've a mind to try. You'd want to feed some soft nylon rope into the spark plug hole to keep the valve from dropping if/when it came loose. Commonly called "rope trick", you can look it up. They sell an "air hold" tool that does the same thing but I don't trust one myself.

Now that you're scared to death, you might want to have a looksee and make sure you in fact have a stuck valve. Compare the one with the bent pushrod with another. Take the rocker arm loose enough to get at the top of the valve and spring. Depending on your preference or what you have to work with, pry the valve down. IE. compress the spring a bit. Not a lot, just enough to get an idea how much pressure it takes. Now do the same thing on the suspected stuck one.
Alternative to prying is a judicious bonk with a hammer instead. You can feel the "bounce" or not. A brass hammer is preferred, the ends of your valve aren't something you want to be bashing up. If you can hammer a nail into a board, you can bonk a valve stem.

If a valve is stuck like I believe, it's not Ford's fault. This can happen to any brand of engine.
I had several stuck valves and more bent pushrods. I had to disassemble everything and remove heads as well. While cleaning everything and about to put the heads back on I notice I have a broken piston. Pieces literally broken off which I have no clue where they went. Still on side of road! So I'm putting it all back together anyways and will drive it home"hopefully" on 7 cylinders. I will fix the piston from the bottom "I think". Will have to research on how to fix that, later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	received_223403062489773.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	310725  
Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #24

You will need to remove the bottom of the connecting rod from the bottom but the piston will come out the top of the cylinder. This will necessitate removing the head again. Watch for a ridge at the top of the cylinder which may make piston removal difficult. With the low mileage you may not have have one. You will be able to feel it with your fingernail if you do. There are tools made called ridge reamer that will take the ridge out. The look like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lisle-Ri...9&gclsrc=3p.ds

Your local auto parts store may have one you can rent or borrow. You will also need a ring compressor which you can also rent or borrow. This is not a small job but if you've removed and replaced the heads well within your capabilities. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #25

That's an oh sh*t! It's kind of iffy replacing just one piston in an engine. But I can't lie and say I haven't done it. The piston won't come out from the bottom. It won't clear the crank shaft. You have to deal with it now or pull the head again later. I hate it for you, this engine is beating you up more than a little.

A friend of mine years ago have a Ford 351W. It had burnt valves or something in one cylinder, he never bothered to find out. Basically one cylinder had no compression and was "dead". He drove it like that three years that I know of and I have to admit that if you didn't know, the only difference you could really tell was that it didn't have a very smooth idle.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #26

I am not tearing into this thing again. Everything is heavy and my hands are very tired. If I don't get it finished tonight the owner of truck stop is going to have it towed. He didn't find it too funny when I asked if he wanted my address for tow truck driver. I'm not going to have time to hook up all the smog crap. Im definitely selling this thing to recoup at least half my money. I got a buyer already and I know what to look for in my next purchase.

Tags
dolphin, ford, motor