Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

1987 E-350 460 change to G3 alternator?

Hi
I知 considering changing to a G3 alternator to handle more load at idle. I hear that I値l lose my amp gauge function but is there some way to get around that? Also any pros and cons in doing this change? Also, how do I eliminate the amp gauge if required?
Thx
Bruce
maynardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #2

You mean a "3G" I expect. I'm big on 3G's and put them in all my Fords that didn't have one from the factory.

I've not kept an ammeter though. I don't like them nor the limited information they convey (in stock form anyway). The ones I've dealt I simply bypassed and/or replaced them with voltmeters.
Depends on what alternator you have now. If you have a "large case" 1G then you want a box like this: https://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/

If you have a 2G (I doubt) then Google swapping to a 3G is a lot easier.

If you have a Leece-neville or something than I don't know but someone out there will.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:31 AM   #3

I haven稚 checked what I have but according to what I致e read, it should be a 2G. I値l have to look when I get home. Is there a replacement voltmeter that would fit in my 1987 E-350 instrument cluster instead of the ammeter or are you alluding to an under dash mount one.
I was thinking of possibly shunting the ammeter with a high power resistor so that it still would provide proportional indication of a positive charge vs. discharge. What do you think?
Thx
maynardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #4

I don't know of a gauge that will swap into your cluster (would be nice!) but I recalled about seeing someone mention converting and ammeter and found the mention. Also happens happens to be in the middle of a bunch of excellent 2g to 3g swap info.
Here: 3G Conversion - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used a 140 amp one wire 1g upgrade powermaster, no issues , on my other 94 RV I had the 215 amp big body... worked sweet ,used their regulater all guages worked
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator