Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 11:37 PM   #1

1987 Imperial33 In Depth Restoration

Hello to everyone!
Am posting to add my new ownership of my motor home and it's restoration process.

In Oct. I was lucky enough to acquire a VERY well preserved 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 that had been in storage for 18 years.
Oh what a project this has been so far!

Started out by scrubbing down every inch of the exterior from top to bottom then applying Plasticote to all the roof seams.
Next came getting the old Chev 454 to live again. The fuel tank was dropped under the rig waiting for a new fuel pump so I replaced the pump and regulator and bolted it back up.
After a little fiddling, she fired right up but with exhaust leaks and a miss.
So, I went for a complete tune up and oil change after warming it up several times.

Since the new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and about a can of carb cleaner she runs like a top.
Next was to go after the exhaust leaks. Since I assumed that I would end up with multiple broken bolts and a big headache trying to remove the headers and install new gaskets, I opted to clean the leaky spots as good as I could, then I "paddle squeezed" JB Weld into the voids and waited 24. NO MORE EXHAUST LEAKS!
Next move was to remove all the EGR power robbing, breakdown producing crap including the TWO air pumps.
HIGHLY recommended. I can see the engine again!

That's all for now. The story has much more content before I'm caught up to date.
87Imperial33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #2

Need some pics!!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Welcome you approach should be interesting, i was given a 83 that was stored for just about 15 yrs and it is being restored as we speak. As noted pics are in order. One thing about those older Ramblers is there design it timeless...well kinda that is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_124709.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	279075  
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #4

Pics are great!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

I took just a few before and after exterior cleaning. These are the best ones.
I could post more but I'm trying to conserve data.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	279206  
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Exhaust manifold/ EGR delete tip.

Back to removing the EGR crap.
A neat trick that works perfectly for cheaply plugging the air tube inlets on the headers/manifold.
I used old spark plugs after (carefully) breaking the ceramic insulators completely away. Then just fill the center and threads with JB Weld and hammer into the holes!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Imperial33 View Post
Back to removing the EGR crap.
A neat trick that works perfectly for cheaply plugging the air tube inlets on the headers/manifold.
I used old spark plugs after (carefully) breaking the ceramic insulators completely away. Then just fill the center and threads with JB Weld and hammer into the holes!
Innovative that is for sure...they also make plugs i will post the exact plugs later on...As to renovation...below is a pic of the after effects of Louise's haircut so to speak. She is being given a whole new wardrobe....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180924_175948.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	279250  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #8

Now THAT'S an interior project!
I was super lucky to have no leaks so all the oak is perfect. Dumped 2 bottles of lemon oil on it and replaced all the little felt pads so they look and sound like new.
Bathroom fan exploded the first time I fired it up. UV takes it's toll. Made an aluminum fan and glued it on the old hub. Doesn't move as much air but it was a free fix as an alternative to replacing the entire housing plus fan.

My next big interior project is 86ing the carpet and installing bamboo.
Might take out the over cab bed too.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #9

Pulling the carpet can be a big job only due to the fact in this 83 the installers went nuts with a staple gun...meaning there were staples every 6" of the entire floor edges not too much of anything in the center. I finally had the other half grab the carpet and pull while I had an angle grinder just cutting it out like butter. That can be hazardous but it greatly improved the process and cleaned up all those old staples quite nicely.

I've too also removed the overhead drop-down bed, it is a heavy cumbersome old thing that is for sure...One odd thing I have experienced with this RV is using light colors and how much it changes the character of the living space. I used a soft brown floor I now wish I had used a light almost white oak type of flooring...So much so it might just happen.LOL crazy yes but flooring is a very minor cost in the grand scheme of things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200326_192057.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	279321  
Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #10

Here's an example of what my bedroom mood lighting looks like since I've gone 100% LED. These are orange strip lights. More like embers than the original "disco" look.

(I like the idea on the light colored flooring)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	279331  
Old 03-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Imperial33 View Post
Here's an example of what my bedroom mood lighting looks like since I've gone 100% LED. These are orange strip lights. More like embers than the original "disco" look.

(I like the idea on the light colored flooring)

LOL, you and the admiral would get along quite well, she too has an affinity for strip lighting. It looks good great mood lighting stuff. Your cabinetry is it real wood? The wood in the 83 is pressboard...It is quite solid but pressboard...and I do like that roof style. Perhaps next yr I will convert to that style of roof...to many projects going on at once to start another.

As to the flooring, I never thought a light color would look right...but I'm telling you it would look fantastic in the Imperial design..well maybe just make it more alive inside.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
LOL, you and the admiral would get along quite well, she too has an affinity for strip lighting. It looks good great mood lighting stuff. Your cabinetry is it real wood? The wood in the 83 is pressboard...It is quite solid but pressboard...and I do like that roof style. Perhaps next yr I will convert to that style of roof...to many projects going on at once to start another.

As to the flooring, I never thought a light color would look right...but I'm telling you it would look fantastic in the Imperial design..well maybe just make it more alive inside.

All the woodwork is solid oak. Very nicely crafted as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:31 AM   #13

Just got my 87 Imp 30 thou miles but LIVED in So pretty filthy inside Found receipts for Heads and Transmission No wonder Eng temp Gauge doesn't work So paperwork said work was done 800 miles ago Just drove it to my house from lot 7 miles Engine sounded great Trans also as I lost the brake pedal so yanked it down to 1st gear at 30 an it slowed it right down ! Ha ! Still had original tires on it ! The front bags don't hold air but still handled ok on bumps ! SOOOO Here's a stupid question !!! When plugging in to 120 ... Is there any procedure to go thru ? Breakers to flip ? Prayers to say ! I'm a good mechanic and former occupant Safety Engineer so very understanding about most issues ! BUT no manuals ! So it's advice I'm gonna have to rely on ! Outdoors Rules ! Everyone please be safe !
Montaquilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #14

When you plug in to shore power, it should show on the above door indicator panel. Then all your indoor lighting and fans, etc. should work.

You might need to have a fully charged gen/coach battery in place for shore power to work properly but I haven't tested that.

I'm actually hooked up to a hot neutral but there are no issues with anything.

Tags
restoration