Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

1988 Allegro 31 ft, Rebuild as Tiny House or ??

I've been out of the loop for quite a while. I had a lot of fun day camping just down the road from home for a few years, then let it sit for more years. Finally pushed into doing something with what I've got or let her go to highest bidder. Would like some input from my pals here at irv2...

She's a 31 foot with 390 carb type ford engine. Only 31,000 + miles on her. After long sleep I got her running, with less trouble than I had expected. Here's what was wrong...
Gas tank rusty, no holes but gas unusable. I temporarily solved this by hanging a lawnmower gas tank on the front bumper, added elec fuel pump, shutoff, filter, and ran 10 ft gas hose to the engine, connecting it to where the original line from the back hooked up.

New battery and it started right up, but the carb was so bad it just dumped the gas all over the engine. Also, one of the plug wires broke and just layed there sparking... oops!

So, rebuilt the carb, replaced the plug wires and tried again. She started with no issues this time, good oil pressure, quiet as a new car, not a rattle or a clunk to be heard. Amazing, that ancient 390!

Next was to move it to a better place to work on it and not be in the way. Took a few 37 pt turns to get it away from the garage, which drove me nutzo because the belts were squealing so bad, and the breaks are a bit low peddle, but it drove the hundred feet or so with no other issues, other than running a bit rough. Guess needs a good tuneup?

Power train seems strong and quiet, but the roof has been leaking and there's a bit of ceiling damage from the front back about 6 feet, but the flooring feels ok. The roof is one piece metal front to back and I believe the leaks are from around the vents and the joint between the fiberglass front cap and the roof. Tires, tho old in years, are full tread, no cracks, holding air as new. The 3-way fridge was replaced with a 19cu ft? home type, the stove and micro work fine, and I had added pressure tank to water system. No problems w genny or other electrical systems.

So here's my question... do I sell as-is, needing at least 3k to be happy, fix it first, then sell it, or gut it and rebuild like a tiny home, more for back yard use than travelling???

I'm guessing tuneup, belts, new or restored gas tank may cost me 1k, repairs to ceiling maybe 500.00. It might be an adventure, but not sure which way I'd want to go. I'm 73 now, still can do stuff, but rather get the kids to help when needed.

So, what kind of pipe dreams are floating around that you might share with me?

Thanks for taking the time to think about it, at least.
Allegroman.
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

You could try posting an ad on Craigslist. Be sure to include lots of pictures and include an accurate narrative that notes both the good and bad. Might get your $3,000 price. However, I'd repair the roof leak before trying to sell.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

We do because we can. It sounds like you’ve got the mechanism for keeping you around to see 75.

Tags
allegro, rebuild