Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 03:22 AM   #1

1988 Class A bad alternator

My alternator is bad and it's so old there are no replacements available for it. It's apparently so old that my chassis guy's rebuild shop told him "good luck finding someone who'll rebuild that thing".

Meanwhile, my 88 Elite Coach 36' Detroit diesel pusher is sitting at the shop. The shop is researching options and we'll be talking more today, and that's why I'm here. I find it hard to believe that it's impossible for a new alternator to be installed at least with modified mounts. There has to be an alternator out there with sufficient power to get the job done, right? Have any of you found a solution to this issue or have any ideas I could pass along to the shop? Unfortunately I'm not very educated yet in the mechanical side of these things.

This alternator is the first step of a list of doable repairs and upgrades this vintage beauty needs in order to start a new life. I can't give up on it just because somebody said they don't make them anymore. Maybe there's an alternator rebuild shop somewhere that specializes in this kind of thing? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Traygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #2

Traygar,

I used to do boat work. I have never seen an alternator that could not be rebuilt or replaced. If all else fails, look up a company called "Balmar". If they don't show a listing on their catalog page, give them a call.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Traygar,

I used to do boat work. I have never seen an alternator that could not be rebuilt or replaced. If all else fails, look up a company called "Balmar". If they don't show a listing on their catalog page, give them a call.

Frank
Thank you - I forwarded the Balmar website link to my chassis shop. I played around with their configurator and it looks like they make some possible replacements.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #4

Most alternator "rebuilds" are just 2 bearings and brushes. You could do it yourself with hand tools...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #5

Do you any info for alt. I can find old generators or alternators and gen. to alt conversions for antique tractors. I know there has been supply chain issues but haven't heard of alternator shortage. No shortage of places sell in them.
I have more rare 200amp Hehr Powerline alternator but it can be replaced with Leese Neville or Delco with same frame.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #6

"good luck finding someone who'll rebuild that thing". That's mechanic talk for I don't want to work on this because it might entail real work. I agree that there is probably someone out there that can rebuild any alternator ever made. Keep looking and good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #7

Check around on ebay.. for alternator rebuilding service.. I have seen small American business that rebuild alternator.. can't recall their names.. but they show their phone number..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #8

Sounds silly, 1988 isn't THAT old. Not like a 1930's Hupmobile or something. Around here in Spartanburg all the odd things wash up at a place called Hugh Mull's Rebuilders. A small one man shop but I've not heard of him being afraid of any alternator or starter yet. That's all he does.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #9

A Detroit Diesel probably has a Delco alternator. It should be real easy to get rebuilt. You need to get the manufacturer and model number and look online.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:16 AM   #10

I think you just have to find the right shop. We have a shop named Trail Generator that has been here 50+ years with the same guys working there. I took my old Alternator that was not producing anymore and they tried to disassemble it and every bolt they touched snapped off. Luckily they have a ton of old bodies/frames (mine is 160A) and they just matched up what they needed and built me one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
A Detroit Diesel probably has a Delco alternator. It should be real easy to get rebuilt. You need to get the manufacturer and model number and look online.
^^^This^^^

Can you post a pic of the alternator?
Old 10-29-2021, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
^^^This^^^

Can you post a pic of the alternator?
Yes I'll try to get that, thanks. It's still at the shop while they're checking on some other issues, so it may take a little while to get to it. Fortunately it's not far from where I live so l will try to get over there soon as possible and take some pics. Or maybe I can get them to do it and send to me.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Sounds silly, 1988 isn't THAT old. Not like a 1930's Hupmobile or something. Around here in Spartanburg all the odd things wash up at a place called Hugh Mull's Rebuilders. A small one man shop but I've not heard of him being afraid of any alternator or starter yet. That's all he does.
Thanks for that - I'll forward that info to my shop. Spartanburg isn't too far from me. Just about 1 1/2 hours drive, and my work often takes me within half that distance.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I looked up Hugh Mull's and gave them a call. The guy I spoke with told me it shouldn't be a problem. I'm going this afternoon to pick up the alternator and send them pictures and model info. I'm not sure whether I'll ship it to them or drive the 1 1/2 hours, but I'm happy that at least the idea of rebuilding it didn't seem to scare them. I'll keep y'all posted on the results as I go. Thanks again to you and the others for all the tips.

Tags
alternator, class a