Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1989 Holiday Rambler M-33RB, 454 Chevy, body/chassis - ?

New to the forum, first RV, needs lots of TLC. Where/how do I find mechanical (and some body) parts? (And advice) (What information is going to get me the parts I need? Just the engine info?) And maybe an owner's manual for the model at least near the right year?

I haven't been in to a parts place yet, but I've done some online looking and even Holiday Rambler doesn't cover the year. I have a mechanic who is going to help me out and will refresh me on my basics, but I'm not going to feel safe about investing much more into it until I have a better sense of how to go about locating parts and such.

For instance: the dual fans on the radiator don't seem to work, certainly not properly. And there are two vacuum lines that seem new, but not attached to anything, male ends only, at the front of the engine. (I haven't had the chance to crawl under it yet to do any investigating.)

Meanwhile, based on what I see (now! wish I had been able to look closer before! lol) I have concerns about what has been/needs to be done within the electrical system and would really LOVE to have some diagrams!

I figure to remodel (rather than restore) the interior, so I'm not overly concerned about the interior. (Except I have a feeling a former owner did some electrical work and other changes that I'm a little concerned to dig into, but it will be an education, and that's good.)

What forum, site, service, resources are there to look for the advice and knowledge I'm going to need?

Thanks in advance!
SoupsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't imagine any other place to be for info than right here!
As for the Fans, I don't know about HR specifically, but on the 89 P30 I had those were controlled from a pressure switch on the dash ac unit under the front cover on the passenger side attached to the drier, as the pressure in the system rose the fans would cycle on, that ac uses r12 from the factory, it may be low on freon. The primary cooling for the 454 is from the engine fan.

As for body parts, there are many sources, Google RV salvage, there may be one in your area, that HR model number and year may be all you'll need to locate parts.

HERE too https://www.irv2.com/forums/groups/3...ners+club.html

You can download a manual here https://www.holidayrambler.com/owner.../owner-manuals
it looks like a 1990 manual is available on line
Old 12-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm in Midlothian BTW, right down Hwy 67 from you
Old 12-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupsOn View Post
New to the forum, first RV, needs lots of TLC. Where/how do I find mechanical (and some body) parts? (And advice) (What information is going to get me the parts I need? Just the engine info?) And maybe an owner's manual for the model at least near the right year?

I haven't been in to a parts place yet, but I've done some online looking and even Holiday Rambler doesn't cover the year. I have a mechanic who is going to help me out and will refresh me on my basics, but I'm not going to feel safe about investing much more into it until I have a better sense of how to go about locating parts and such.

For instance: the dual fans on the radiator don't seem to work, certainly not properly. And there are two vacuum lines that seem new, but not attached to anything, male ends only, at the front of the engine. (I haven't had the chance to crawl under it yet to do any investigating.)

Meanwhile, based on what I see (now! wish I had been able to look closer before! lol) I have concerns about what has been/needs to be done within the electrical system and would really LOVE to have some diagrams!

I figure to remodel (rather than restore) the interior, so I'm not overly concerned about the interior. (Except I have a feeling a former owner did some electrical work and other changes that I'm a little concerned to dig into, but it will be an education, and that's good.)

What forum, site, service, resources are there to look for the advice and knowledge I'm going to need?

Thanks in advance!
Right now I'm sure it seem like a mess, with that being said take things one step at a time...one system. Your chassis is a p32 not anything more nor less..now there are a few variations in schocks and brakes or suspension parts related directly to weight..I can tell you there will be a few confusing moments and there are a lot of opinions out there.

But fear not the p32 is a very very basic truck chassis, for now forget HR and focus on Chev p32..There are thousands of on line and local parts stores to work with.

I should mention p32 is a tech term for the chassis...99.99 % of all parts stores recognize it as P30 group..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cid+v8,1059409

As to these vacumm lines for example...first they are a mess..mightmare...just a pain speaking formyself useless material...Now if you take the time to watch how there connected you will notice one thing in common. Always they are connected to a vacuum source. As long as they are connected to a vacuum source things are ok...and to be frank it does not matter which the source is...

One big issue would be a carbed version or throttle body injection...Carbed engines to need a few vac lines that are specific....and they are no big deal to locate. Just a little patience and asking questions can turn on the lites so to speak. I once worked with a party from the UK...he finally stated there is hope...yep lol i will never forget that there is hope.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

The electric fans are to cool the AC condensor, the engine is cooled by the mechanical fan driven off the water pump. I'd bet the AC needs to be charged at least if not major work, I wouldn't bother with it until you get the engine and chassis roadworthy.

1989 has a carb, they made a very few TBI 1989 chassis late in the model year but they were used for 1990 motorhomes.

If the manual posted above doesn't help you the chassis is essentially the same as a 3500/1 ton. Even pickup manuals will get you about 90% there, the chassis parts will just be heavier.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #6

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
I can't imagine any other place to be for info than right here!
Thanks to your reply and all the others that have already posted, I AM feeling more confident already. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Still have tons of questions and lots of learning to do, but at least I have HOPE, knowing that I can reach out for and find help along the way. (Now to decipher the vocabulary that I still don't know! lol)

@Jyrocharlie, Sounds like we're practically neighbors! I'm like literally just up the road from you :-)

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm in Midlothian BTW, right down Hwy 67 from you
i'm in Alvarado
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool. Neighbors. We need to get together some time!
Old 12-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://imgur.com/a/YsDtzrY
1986 454 vac lines
Old 12-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Cool. Neighbors. We need to get together some time!
That sounds like a great idea!! Looks like @whem2fish is nearby, too.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
i'm in Alvarado
Great! Nice to meet you!

Do you by chance have a listing on OfferUp for RV doors? I (thought I) sent a message to someone in Alvaredo a day or two ago. Haven't heard anything back.

Point being, it's great to know I have neighbors, aNd, if you have RV doors to sell, I'm looking to replace my door and screen assembly!

Well, maybe I could get by with replacing the entire lock and latch, but it needs complete parts on both sides of the door and a new threshold. I figure for the right price I'd rather start fresh.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #12

Update on the lovely beast:
My mechanic is going to be able to come to me today so I don't have to move it.
Bought a new battery and installed yesterday. That immediately helped a couple things: it started right up and happy and the AC fans on the radiator went right to work. Hopefully there are no underlying alternator/generator problems and that will be that.

I then crawled under it for the first time and being less intimidated is a good thing.

The exhaust pipe has a nickel size hole making a heck of a racket, but no reason to think it's more than that.

There's a particular pinging catch in the engine noise cycle. Might be just the need for fluid. Hopefully not more serious. But could be. I would say it sounded like it could be the flywheel, but as I've said, I'm out of practice. (And I've decided there's a lot that's okay about that! haha!)

I'm pretty sure it was fresh brake fluid leaking on the ground. I had set the parking brake for the first time. It accepted 24oz of brake fluid when I first filled it. So that's part of what leads me to that assumption there's a significant leak somewhere.
So that's where that part is.

If a new battery, fresh fluids and filters, new hoses and some spot welding - and some brake system work - can make her mechanically solid, I'll be ready to start getting serious about the rest.

Thank you all again for your help and encouragement!
Old 12-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #13

A few things of consideration.

1. Is this engine truly a carb.
2. Does your vehicle need to go thru deq before being lisc.
3. Are the air pumps functioning in the AIR system...
4. When your mech starts it up and the engine is warm, pull the vacuum line off the vacuum advance can. Does the idle change? if not hook it up and off again several times. listen close for idle rpm changes.

All of the above should be checked and verified, Now if you do not have to have your emission system checked breathe a big sigh of relief..

Below is a diagram..you may well have two air pumps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proxy.gif
Views:	102
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	311707  
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #14

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyezOpen View Post
A few things of consideration.

1. Is this engine truly a carb.
2. Does your vehicle need to go thru deq before being lisc.
3. Are the air pumps functioning in the AIR system...
4. When your mech starts it up and the engine is warm, pull the vacuum line off the vacuum advance can. Does the idle change? if not hook it up and off again several times. listen close for idle rpm changes.

All of the above should be checked and verified, Now if you do not have to have your emission system checked breathe a big sigh of relief..

Below is a diagram..you may well have two air pumps

Thanks for the diagram! I am printing/saving and creating digital and paper files of everything.

Definitely carb.

Licensing in Illinois, so no emissions test req.

One significant find of the day: the spark plug wire that had been eaten through by engine oil and was essentially hanging in the air, totally non-functional! That explains why it was 'missing' ! Ha! Yes, I heard it, so I feel good about being right. And yes, a complete tune-up is definitely in order.

however, after seeing her today, the jury is still out as to whether I'm going to be the one who saves her. The brand new battery was dead and it wouldn't jump (!). Of course, it was down to freezing last night, but still. Clearly some unknown item is switched on/ drawing from the battery. We have to get her started so he can (hopefully!) track down the culprit drawing down the battery. He teaches electrical systems, and it is a high experience/confidence area, for which I am incredibly grateful.

I learned that in my haste to do Anything to make it better last week, I put brake fluid into the power steering. Apparently the systems are interconnected and it doesn't even USE brake fluid!(?) Who knew there was such a thing! NOT one of my finest moments. That's what I get for being in a rush and assuming the (well-intentioned, non-mechanic) person giving me advice (not here on iRV2!) knew enough. Instead of waiting for a mechanic to walk me through what I'm looking at. Sigh. It looked right and made sense at the time. Nothing like creating unnecessary extra work.
At least it's known. Ugh. I hate knowing just enough to be dangerous! bugger

Tags
454, chassis, chevy, holiday rambler