Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #71

Overall Clarion opinion

Let me try and unpack that.

Top view is that it is a take off of the Winnebego LeSharo, I had one, but this one on steroids. That is same floor plan, no expanding bathroom, and perhaps lower clear water, about 15 gal. with Clarion. My Clarion weighs about 8800# unloaded.

The elements of design were class leading and still think it looks up to date. Long term it has it's challenges.
-The utilities are standard RV from the time, the rear axle is German and no longer supported (must replace with a Dexter if necessary or want the same design),
-the front door and no draft don't age well, carpet (mine) is best to remove if Florida vehicle (my mistake...rust),
- drivetrain is good except for rebuild of front axle, 16.5" wheels was a bad idea (replaced mine with 16" steel rims), btw the accelerator module needs replacement after time (engine won't accelerate or gasps on hills)
-driver heads up station at front is great design
-who had heated mirrors and both electric back in '91 ??
-the body strength, construction, and concept even now...peerless
-the interior shades and screens (awesome concept) fatigue over time and need careful mgt' (UV is heartless)
-Transfer case, as mentioned before, is a custom and as I understand (never dove in here) a chain installed in this application to drive the front axle
- View and window design was ahead of it's time and still beautiful and lovely for journeys
- Coachmen build quality is poor, whenever SS was used...koodos, most brackets and mounts are not secured well, nut certs not used in ceiling frames (should have been), interior panels/doors were not secured for long term use though hardware is generally great
- front seats and all, for the period, ...peerless
- exterior storage and features, again is futuristic and might be the reason I'd buy again
- towing .... don't
- 38 gallon gas tank (nice)

Overall if there is a 30 year old RV worth a refurb, this is it. Once you get the chassis in order, see an earlier post, it is happy at 62 mph and gets 9 mpg in the mountains and 13 mpg (texas is mostly flat). I've been in downpours on journeys and never roof leaks or water coming in. Dark tint drivers and passenger side windows for sun and rear traffic projector beams.

Hope I've covered most points. BTW I think a 10k or less price is just right for mechanically fine, unless it was garaged and one owner. Also, I would prefer the cloth, '91 vintage, over leather, I like breathing. I think original was about 74K and todays price is 144k.

cheers,
buffalo bob
BBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #72

Nice Clarion PL! Trying to source a new front window and curb door window, SAFELITE says its cannot be found. I'm going to search deep state next. How about the triple insulation windows??? Tell me more if possible. I wonder if rear brake shoes have a common US retrofit. I have to secure my front top control panel assembly, poor factory secure to ceiling. Happy travels. Bob
Old 06-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #73

Just about ready to hit the road after getting about 3/4 of the reno finished. I need some help (info) regarding the awning. My 1992 Clarion has a Celebrity Rachet Awning by Omniawn - Omni Products Inc out of Orlando FL. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it. Any help or suggestions would be grateful.
Thanks in advance
Bob
Cdntraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:12 AM   #74

There are release pins on either side square post boom. They might be stuck on release. BTW Safelite can still source the front windshield for the Coachmen Clarion. About $2k though.
Cheers and post your mpg please.
BBob
Old 07-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #75

Post Clarion by Coachman, another MPG anecdote

Mayhaps this data/trivia will be of use/interest to someone
Acquired a Clarion about a decade or so back, took a trip Oregon to Montana
and back, taking scrupulous mileage records for the entire 1,267 mile trip.
Prolly 75% Highway (but winding two lane a great deal of time, and some
backroad winding excursions) Final averaged MPG for trip= 12.7
For a wallowing whale with an automatic, this was not too disappointing.
After that trip, I had to do the 'tag axle' dance. A shop in Grants Pass replaced it with a Dexter, everything worked/works, except the e-brake, which is no fault of the shop, I traced to stuck pass side cable, a shiteshow to put it mildly. Saw funky things in the brakes, the crossover bar that runs the e-brake between the shoes was cut and welded to make it longer(?), I don't know if this was the shop adapting or an original Coachmen workaround which wouldn't surprise me, there seems to be some 'beta' level craftsmanship in the thing.
I also experienced 'side door frame sag'. If you have this, you know of what I speak, I accomplished an at least partial remedy for this issue, I won't take
space on it unless someone really wants to know. $2,000 dollar windshield
sounds horrifying, the rear axle and the windshield always struck me as the
'timebombs' on the vehicle, now I see y'all talking about front axle weirdness, too. By the by, I was informed (don't remember how) that the
front is a Dana 50, which is scornfully described as a "Dana 60 housing with
a Dana44 third member in it. I'm thinking if one drove conservatively, it
shouldn't break
duncan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #76

Red face

Thanks Duncan,

Interesting mpg, mine needs to grow up. I've got 16" wheels now and and LT 265, I think, tires. I hover about 10mpg but live in the mountains.

My rear axle, original, has spring over shocks to lift rear since sag, and so far don't have the shiftyness but stability has never been great. I think the narrow front track is not helping here nor the lack of a rear sway bar. I will install front air bags to level the now raked coach.

My new windshield was 2K and a great enhancement on the original delaminating and cracked one. Originally they used a butyl seal and now a urethane one.

Still must resecure my front overhead (sagging) and finish 3 way fridge in old wardrobe. The extra 28 gallon water where old fridge was is a must have though. I'll post photos when interior refinish is complete. The carpet has to go to invite any females though. Next I must fix a vacuum leak that causes an engine lite after several stop starts. Idle after long hiway drive is not very smooth. A tune up with dual platinum or better plugs is probably a good idea also.

cheers,
BBob
Old 07-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #77

Wheel Size?

I purchased a 92 Clarion in Dec 2021. Great RV - but HATE the bias ply 16.5 wheels.

Struggling to find the right size wheel. Can anyone confirm what the wheels come from? 8 lug / 6.5??

Anyone put 17" wheels on theirs as opposed to 16".

If I was to search for the wheels, what do these come from? F250?
agbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #78

Don’t know if anyone’s addressed this or brought it up. But does anyone know how to prevent the famous death role or sway from these RVs. I’ve been told it’s my swaybar. I’ve been told it’s my torsion axle I’ve been told it’s the bushings I’ve been told it’s the shocks how do I fix the south sway. RV hits 55 can’t stay on the road sways all over the place help help help what do I do James
Rover61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:42 AM   #79

CLARiiON rear axle

CLARiiON rear axle
First point, confirm at a good tire store that all four tires are wearing properly. Why 91 CLARiiON had a left rear tire who’s outer tire thread was wearing more than the rest. I have 16 inch rims and replaced all four tires and the where a problem went away as well as some driving difficulty at speed. Note that I don’t drive over 62 generally due to optimal torque for engine at speed.
Second point, DEXT ER is a torsion axle company and if you contact them they will send you an order form with instructions to measure your rear end mount points pivot angle etc. to send you a replacing rear axle complete assembly.
Third point, often not discussed on this German torsion rear axle there are Zürich fittings on the ends, front side, that need to be lubricated. I think I put 10 or 15 full pumps of red grease in these. The upside of the original axle is that they have them and I believe, never disassembled this, must have bearings on the pivot ends of this original axle. Beyond this I would take it to a truck axle or spring company to confirm that the vertical operation of this axle does not have a pitch indicating it needs to be replaced. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:05 PM   #80

Clarion Rear Axle

Good advice BBob
Mine had BROKEN LEAFS in it.
Those original axles are kinda like
the old VW transverse front springs
a stack of leaf springs clamped inna
tube. They can and will break
Will definitely mess up your ride
Dexter axle is the fix but if you
are DIY, you'll be cutting and welding
and cursing. It aint a bolt in.
duncan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #81

Front CVs

I'm thinking about a 91 Clarion. Has anyone solved the replacement CV problem? Or is it best to avoid Clarion all together?
Foot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:13 AM   #82

Hi Foot,

See post #69 on this blog for CV joint link. If you are not a bit of a car guy then I would not recommend this RV. However if you know your way around a chassis and engine this is worth the time investment. The body is incredibly strong and well done and the chassis is a known reliable truck with fuel injection.
Good luck!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:12 AM   #83

Would anyone know the manufacturer and source of the exterior passenger mirror for a '92 Clarion?
kfenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:10 AM   #84

Headlights and door sag

I own #182, doing a cross country trip and just trying to colate part info. Anyone know what the headlights are from? Also, how do i fix door sag?
KarlN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, coachmen