Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

1991 Holiday Ramber Construction

Good Day!

I am considering traveling a distance to buy a Vintage Holiday Rambler Class C. Does anyone know what these coaches are made of? I believe it has a one piece roof but I am not certain of the sides. Can someone help who has seen one of these in person?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holidayrambler.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	179052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23891.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	179053  

Name:	IMG_23901.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	179054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_23911.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	179055  

Name:	IMG_23921.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	179056  
4running is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, don't have an answer but that looks in pretty good shape especially considering it's age.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Wow, don't have an answer but that looks in pretty good shape especially considering it's age.

Any opinions on the roof?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

I have a 1988 model and it is all aluminum frame and the roof is all aluminum. Never had a roof leak. Mine has the seam tape over the joints where the front and rear cap meets like yours too.
Zoom45
Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #5

The sides are aluminum too. The rear cap and the front of the sleeper over the cab are fiberglass.
Zoom45
Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom45 View Post
I have a 1988 model and it is all aluminum frame and the roof is all aluminum. Never had a roof leak. Mine has the seam tape over the joints where the front and rear cap meets like yours too.
Zoom45

Hi,

Just to clarify the internal frame structure is aluminum, and the roof and sides are aluminum as well?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom45 View Post
The sides are aluminum too. The rear cap and the front of the sleeper over the cab are fiberglass.
Zoom45
Got it! Thanks!

I am guessing you have been pleased with its construction over the years?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

It had 26,000 when I got it. Only trouble was the converter came apart internally stopping up the exhaust which made it lose power when running but it would cool off then run again. I fixed that and have installed new tires and fuel pumps. It also had 3 broken exhaust studs on the manifold so I had to fix that too. The body hasn't been any trouble except the decals were in bad shape so I'm taking them off and painting it now. All the appliances work. I'm happy with it but it's always little things to fix on it since it is pretty old.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

My 91 HR is 37 feet so all I can say is can I have the spare tire door? LOL
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
SMB

Roof and sides as previously outlined. Looks like the roof was sealed with Enturabond tape (spelling) which lasts for a long time, pray you don't have to remove it. From pics they look solid, and dry.
My '96 was similar story, 28K miles when bought, later took 6,700 mile circle tour with no mechanical or coach problems.

Enjoy.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #11

Did you buy it??!
The rear end looks exactly like my 37 ft class A sans spare tire door which I am going to make a new one with a panel of the diamond tread sheet metal they have at Home Depot and 2 hinges and a slide lock with padlock ability.

If it hasn't been used all along or for a very long time, you'll be replacing tires and pretty much anything else made of rubber. My brake lines waited until I arrived at the mechanics a week after driving her from Plano, TX to OKC where they literally crumbled between his fingers!!
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #12

Ditto on replacing rubber lines. Start at the fuel tank and work forward. My '84 is all aluminum from frame to roof. It has never leaked and still shines up nice. The decals are not cracked or peeling. I've had some engine carburetor problems, nothing major. Be sure to locate any gas line filters and replace them. You may or may not have an electric fuel pump. Mine did not and I added one.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
4running,

We looked at a lot of MH's prior to purchasing ours 3 yrs ago. I walked each roof. Every inch of it. Some we did not buy because the roof was mushy. It gave when you walked on it. When kneeling down and pushing on it you could feel the give which meant the roof was damaged underneath. Weak spot. A leaky roof is the doom of your RV.

I would do this with any RV you are looking at. A roof can be recoated, replaced, but when there are soft spots it goes a whole lot deeper. The costs rises with deeper repairs.

I check my roof twice a year, Spring and Fall, and reseal anything that is questionable. Our roof is good and I expect it to last for many years yet. When we do have to have it redone, we will have a company do it as I have no interest and not the tools to handle the job.

We maintain everything on the rig. Constant maintenance because we don't want damage due to lack of care. I have heard that removing the Eternabond tape is a nightmare so look up threads here for info on it.

Did you purchase it? Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

That coach looks to be in outstanding condition for it's age, the tape used on the roof joints is called tar tape and can be removed with any petroleum based solvent and replaced with Eternabond tape if needed thou yours looks to be in fantastic shape.