Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
1991 Rockwood Class A. Model unknown

I'm new to this forum(and to RVs in general) and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but. I recently bought this old 1991 vintage Rockwood and I'm unable to determine what the model number is. there is a mfg plate on the outside by the door but it is so worn that nothing can be read off of it. Did they place info in other places in their RVs?

The user's manual just says it's for the 2000 series.

I will likely have lots of questions for various upcoming projects as I'm going to be living out of this thing pretty much full time parked in a single location. Would I want to ask in the vintage section or in the general motorhome section for that sort of thing?

Here's some pictures:

You can see a fully gallery with more pictures at gallery
wschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi wschaub and Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like a pretty nice older coach so congratulations.

I don't think knowing the model number will be of any value other than just knowing. Does the title say anything helpful as far as Model?
Really, the most important stuff you'll need to know is for the various appliances and systems and ALL the RV manufacturers used the same sources so the make and model of the coach is mostly unimportant when needing parts or repairs. If you don't have the individual manuals for the Fridge, Furnace, water heater, etc. you'll want to locate the ID tag on each item and then Google that information. Most manuals and repair/troubleshooting info can be found online. Wiring and plumbing diagrams will be non-existent.

This website link should get you started:
Service Documents and Manuals
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thankfully I do have a big box with manuals for pretty much everything.

I still need to get the furnace cleaned and serviced and flush and test out the water system, as well as take out the range/oven and get it cleaned out really well since mice had been nesting in it. I also have 2 replacement roof vents waiting to be installed.

The roof itself is pretty good being originally a fibreglass roof upgraded to a rubber roof on top of that and so far it doesn't seem like any of the seals have failed.

Once I get better income again I plan to build a pole roof over it so I don't have to worry so much about any seals going bad.

it looks like there has been some minor water damage in the past that i may or may not get fixed. As far as I'm concerned for 4k I got a living space that survived being moved 30 miles to its current location where it likely will live out its useful life.

If I end up getting paid good money I may work on some of the mechanical issues and get it road worthy again. I'm not entirely sure if anyone would want to buy and older coach like this that is a bit beat up though.

The brakes are shot pretty much and need a bit of work and I think the air bags in the suspension are either dry rotted or the hoses connected to them are so I don't plan to do anything other than live out of it parked at the farm really.

The worst part so far has been clean up and some hasty caulking of windows that were leaking badly since it had been parked under a roof for years and most of the gaskets had weathered badly. I think the worst has been cleaning up after the mice that had gotten into it in perhaps the last 2 or 3 years. You wouldn't think a small RV would have all of that surface area to clean but there's a lot more hidden nooks and crannies than I ever expected and that's where most of the nasty pest related mess was hiding waiting for me to discover.

I have it at least good enough to sleep in now but I have a lot more I want to get done before winter.

My plan for winter is to replace all the furnace vent hose the mice ruined and to lift the furnace out and have it serviced/cleaned by the local RV dealer. In addition to that I plan on taking the inside cover off the duo-therm brisk-air unit and likely remove more damn dobber nests and install a heat strip kit. and use the heat strip in addition to a cube heater as a backup to the LP gas heat.

I also plan on getting about 5 boxes of d-con and stuffing them in all the various hidden spaces I got nasty surprises in. Any advice on keeping mice out other than that that I can implement before the end of summer?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

I can help a little; we also had a 1991 Rockwood but it was painted slightly differently (and was a 30')

Yours appears to be a Regency 2701 (not positive on the model number) -- it's 27 foot. I can't tell if it's a Ford or Chevy chassis, but there's functionally there's little difference. We found it to be a good coach with no real surprises; everything is more or less standard.

I don't recall the size of the fresh/grey/black tanks.

If you look at

Index of /~thumper/rockwood

there are some pictures of our unit we took when we sold it.

Steve
Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have the Chevy chassis according to my big pile of manuals.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had the same MH. It has a 11200 lb. Chevy P30 chassis that was uprated to 12K by Rockwood. There should be an ID plate under the dash near the brake pedal. We owned ours for about 5 years before we upgraded to the MH in our signature. Rockwood went out of business many years ago (Maybe 1997?, so factory support is non-existent. The Rockwood name was resurrected and they now make pop-ups and small trailers.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info I will take a look for it sometime soon. it's mainly curiosity and perhaps a little obsessiveness on my part that I want to know it since it was never on any of the titles. just the vin number.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Still no luck finding an alternate mfg plate but I do think I found out where the majority of the mice were getting in.

it's just under the console on the floor close to the gas and brake pedals. it looks like it was foam covered with some kind of rubber but now it's just a hole that goes outside and possibly into the engine compartment. What do you think is the best way to seal it?

there appears to be a slightly nibbled wire going out through it that I think might be to the headlights. I was thinking of using a can of "great stuff" however I'm worried some of it may drip down into the engine compartment and pose a fire hazard if it heats up on some engine part while the engine is running. What do you think?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
For mice, you can stuff steel wood into holes and mice will not eat that stuff.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you look at the picture? steel wool would short that wire for sure. I also want to make it insulated against the cold in the winter as well. (at least as good as the original material would have done)

Should I start a new thread for things like this or just add to this one?

Tags
class a