Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #1

1996 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 37RW Overhaul

Hello, This is the first of many informative posts regarding my general overhaul of our 1996 Itasca Suncruiser 37RW. This will also be my first thread on this site, forgive me if my etiquette is not up to standards.

We purchased this MH from a couple that had it setup at a permeant campsite in northern PA. Needless to say its been sitting at a lot for the last 5-8 years with no travel on the roadways. It needs some love and component replacement to get it up to my standards to be a enjoyable and safe machine.

I have already started on some major replacement of components such as the air supply/reservoir system , complete replacement of all air bags on the drive and tag axle, engine drive accessories, tires, wheel balancing systems , new roof application, and much more. I will update this thread and I go in hopes of giving information to anyone in need.
Sczygelski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 04:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looking forward to hearing/seeing your progress.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #3

how to determine

Just curious are you replacing those things based on inspected condition or just being proactive (except the old tires).
Old 10-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. More than a few here have brought some older coaches "back to life". If you haven't noticed already, there's a Winnebago/Itasca specific section with some pretty knowledgeable folks in it. Here- https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You're off to a good start. I'll be looking forward to your progress reports as well. You didn't mention the chassis that sits under her, but if Ford, we also have a Ford forum within these pages that will be an excellent reference. Best of luck. BTW, I have the 97 model year of the 37RW.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:29 AM   #6

I am replacing multiple components just based on visual and technical inspection. The air system all appeared to work okay once I gave it 12vdc power. However upon inspection the main air tank reservoir has corrosion from the inside out, and has a few small pin holes, the electric air pump is undersized IMO and does not have a quick fill time and is not a 100% rated duty pump, the air bags all hold air but are showing clear signs of case rubber failure (old age and degradation from UV). I had no issues finding the main air springs for the drive axle, however the tag axle is another story. I am replacing the alternator and drive belts for peace of mind, they look and operate okay but are prone to failure due to age.

I'll have much more to update on!
Old 10-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
You're off to a good start. I'll be looking forward to your progress reports as well. You didn't mention the chassis that sits under her, but if Ford, we also have a Ford forum within these pages that will be an excellent reference. Best of luck. BTW, I have the 97 model year of the 37RW.

It is in fact a F53 Chassis. The literature with the MH indicates its a 1996 F53, however my VIN and title indicates it is a late model 1995 year. The 460 runs great at the moment, I have a few exhaust leaks downstream of the manifolds that i need to address but nothing affecting performance
Old 10-08-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced my tag axle bags with Firestone WO1 358-9310 bags.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Re. Air compressor and tank. A friend with our same motorhome contacted JetCo. for a replacement compressor for our tag axle system. They sent him a PacBrake model 325 series compressor. They charged him almost double of what he could have bought directly from PacBrake. Their web site also shows they have tanks. Good luck.

Tags
itasca, suncruiser, winnebago