Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

1997 Pace Arrow schematic

I have inherited my parents Motorhome and now I want to start working on it. It has the Ford Chassis with the 460 engine. It would not start. I disconnected the fuel filter and there is no fuel being pumped. The pump is not humming so I assume it is bad. Today I started draining the fuel and so I can drop the tank. I drained 45 gallons and had to stop because I ran out of containers. The smell of stale fuel wow. The Tank needs to be dropped also because the Left rear leveling jack hose is leaking and needs to be repaired also. I am looking for wiring schematic for the truck and home portion. I want to see how the wiring runs on both systems. Thanks!
Doppler1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #2

FYI - had the same issue on the ‘91 coach that we acquired in ‘18 - no fuel to the throttle body injectors (Chevy chassis/engine) - couldn’t hear fuel pump run.
Got chassis manual to run fuel pump tests - fuel injected engines usually have a test plug at the fuel pump relay - still no joy.
Bought 5 gal gas cans to get about 40 of 45ish gallons out of the 60 gallon tank.

Once tank on the ground and fuel pump assembly pulled - the fuel pump was fine - but the little 2” long rubber hose that connected the actual pump outlet to the pickup tube within the assembly looked like an exploded cigar. Hose had fuel rotted.
Replaced fuel pump any way - and the replacement came with a new 2” long piece of hose.

YMMV! Good luck!
Old 11-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #3

Any line/s you replace use Gates Barricade FI hose. It won't need replacing anytime soon with that hose.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #4

I dropped the fuel tank today and it was clean and actually looked good in there. The pump still would not come on when I pulled it from the Tank and cycled the key. I then checked for voltage at the connector when cycling the key and I had 12 for a moment the dropped off to 7. That did not seem right to me but I asked a friend and he said he thinks that is normal. I think it cycles when the engine is not running but why would it drop to 7 volts and not zero? I then took the pump and connected it directly to my battery and it came on. Went back to the connector for the pump at the tank and connected it and ran there also. Was the pump just locked up or what happened. Put the pump in a bucket of good gas and started the engine. It ran great. I will try it again tomorrow. input is welcome?
Old 11-26-2022, 08:44 PM   #5

can the hose be spliced or do you have to replace the whole line?
Old 11-27-2022, 04:35 AM   #6

Assuming engine is fuel injected - they usually use a time delay relay that times out to kill the fuel pump if it doesn’t see the engine running. It prevents fuel being pumped freely onto the ground or engine compartment if the engine isn’t running and the fuel line is compromised in some way (as in a wreck).

In tank fuel pumps depend on a fuel source running thru them for cooling.

You can splice the line, just be sure you use barbed connectors.

Can’t explain the 7 volt situation without a chassis schematic. Are you sure you were reading the fuel pump power lead?
If the fuel pump was connected and you read 7 volts, you’ll need a chassis schematic to see where that power comes from.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #7

Fords run the pump for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the key to prime the system. Among other issues on mine I found one of the wire connectors in the back of the fuel pump relay plug in was corroded. I ended up clipping of the plug entirely and replacing it. Plus a new matching relay. The symptoms were inconsistent on and off and weak power. Worked, didn't work, had some power but didn't work, etc. The corrosion on mine was greenish and obvious when I looked. My relay was bundled up in plastic at the driver's front of the engine bay. I believe the plastic and tape kept most water out but not only let a little in, but trapped it there. Water resistant isn't waterproof. I left all that off and just laid on some dielectric silicone grease instead.

I didn't get as far as voltage drop testing my fuel pump ground but I suspected it if having an issue. I split the ground wire and grounded it to the chassis frame. And because I wasn't sure where the rest of the wire ended up, I went ahead and grounded it there too. Part of the reason I did so was also that I went complete overkill and installed a shunt in the ground line to hook an ammeter to. So now I know exactly what power the pump is drawing. Which was useful for testing. I didn't feel like undoing it and it was cheap so I left it and fastened the ammeter to the dash. But like I said, overkill.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:29 PM   #8

When checking the power at the pump I used a chassis ground also to see if I get the same readings and I did. I’m looking for a schematic so I can see why I get the 7 volts. Maybe feed back from the PCM. More to follow. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #9

Found your relay? There is no direct feed or "feedback" from the pcm to the pump.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #10

I did find the relay. I have system voltage from the fuse all the time and I have system voltage at another contact when the key is on. I say feed back or a signal from the PCM has to tell the relay hey power is on but the engine is not running so shut off. I figure from the tach or a crank sensor. I’m limited on time to work on it right now and I’m looking for a better schematic. More to follow.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:01 AM   #11

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36B

[Q=GypsyR;6367751]Found your relay? There is no direct feed or "feedback" from the pcm to the pump.[/QUOTE]
Do you know the capacity in gallons on the coach
Fresh
Black
Gray
Old 11-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #12

No sir I’m very new to this. I need to get it running so I can take it home. I’m lost right now because it is new tone and I’m not sure how things are suppose to work. I’ll get sooner or later
Old 11-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Do you know the capacity in gallons on the coach
No sir, I do not. I'm only in this thread because I have some familiarity with the Ford chassis under the coach. I do not have a Pace Arrow. You should start a thread to ask in the "Fleetwood" section. All the Pace Arrow folks hang out in there and surely someone will know.

Tags
ace, pace arrow