Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

20 Pound Bar B Que Tank to RV tank

I have an empty propane tank on my RV and I want to leak check and operational check everything before I get the tank filled, Can I connect my 20 pound Bar B Que tank to my RV fill port Tank to check the systems.?? if So what do I need and where do I get it??
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Yes you can. You naad the proper fittings and a hose to transfer the liquid propane. Why do you née dot test? Do you suspect a leak?
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

You can't "fill" your empty but you can put pressure to it.
Anyone who fills it should be competent enough to check it for proper operation before filling it full to 80% of the brim.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
You can't "fill" your empty but you can put pressure to it.
Anyone who fills it should be competent enough to check it for proper operation before filling it full to 80% of the brim.
Just want to have some pressure in the system to see what works, Stovetop, furnace, water heater, fridge. I have been working on this RV on and off for about a year.
Amy idea where I can get the hose I need??
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The safest and most useful way to connect an external tank would be to use one of these Stay A While Deluxe - Mr. Heater F273734 It allows you to run all the appliances from either the internal tank or an external bottle. Additionally, it has a port which can be hooked up to run a gas grill from the internal tank. We park for extended periods, and use a couple of 30 pound bottles which we take for refilling. The internal tank remains close to full as a backup.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #6

Can't really suggest anything cause I don't know what connections you have on the RV right now.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Can't really suggest anything cause I don't know what connections you have on the RV right now.
Are the fillers connectors on all RV propane tanks standardized like the connections on all home gas grills are????
Old 01-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Tanks is a technical term, for ASME tanks like this

Then you have DOT cylinders

So which one?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Tanks is a technical term, for ASME tanks like this

Then you have DOT cylinders

So which one?
My Tank looks exactly like the ASME Tank, so the fillers on those are all the same?

My portable grill tank looks just like the DOT tank except smaller

I guess I need a hose with an ASME fitting on one end and a DOT on the other
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The space under my Class C is a little tight for the extend-a-stay type products- I'd need to change the regulator. A propane dealer offered to make an "adapter" to go from a gas grill tank to the fill port on my built in tank for $50. The fill fitting (at least on those I've seen) on the permanent tank is the same as the horizontal forklift tanks. He was just going to take the fitting from a forklift and attach a gas grill fitting. I would have needed to supply a 4-6 foot hose from Wally World to go to the grill tank.

I supposed it would have worked OK but I decided against it. His adapter did not allow me to keep the built in tank in reserve while usung a gas grill tank for daily use. In my opinion there was a safety issue also. If his adapter was screwed on a full fixed tank without being hooked to the grill tank, the propane would rush out. It would however put pressure on your system if you can find a junked forklift. Since they're common the fittings might be cheap. You could just use air to pressure test you camper.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #11

If you get something like this, you can pressurize your system

Tags
tank