Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

2000 Pace Arrow Vision chassis wiring

Went out today check motor home and chassis battery completely dead. Smelled like wiring burning, looked undert front tire saw wireing burnt at i belive is some type of solenoid two wire going to battey disconnects, one unknown. Two wires on other side going to alternator. Checked alternator it appears to have burned. Can anyone help me with this?
Garycherylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Sorry your first post is about problems .

Could you add some more info about your coach .

Chassis manufacturer and engine ?
If chassis is a Workhorse can you say what model , P or W .
Old 04-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #3

V10 i believe its a p53 chassis the vin nr is 3FCNF53S7YJA08797 MANUFACTURE NR is 711NY4767839. HOPE THIS HELPS I Contacted fleetwood and they said they no longer have the wiring diagram
Old 04-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #4

Ok ; V-10 Ford F-53 chassis .

Are you looking over the right front wheel ( passenger side )?

Is this the part that the burnt wires are attached to ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-53 Right side frame rail.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	363130   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-53 StartRelay_2_800.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	363131  

Old 04-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #5

2000 pace arrow v10

Yes, that is what I am looking at, the wires were burnt off on the right side which was battery power, once that was corrected I discovered the alternator had shorted out and burnt. the one on the left is the one I have
Old 04-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #6

The parts are starter relays ( some call them solenoids ; I call them relays )
anyhow the wiring your dealing with is probably all Ford , so contacting Ford for a schematic would be the next step . If you have yours in hand , any auto parts store will fix you up with a new one. The relay in the photo showing the arrow, to a second small terminal, is for a different year Ford chassis .

That being said , where Fleetwood tied into the chassis wiring for disconnects, is anybody's guess at this point .

The second large relay terminal will be wiring to the starter , and with the burn hopefully contained to the alternator and it's power supply , should have been isolated from damage.

Any chance you can post pictures of the damage , and other parts that were probably Fleetwood installed ?
Old 04-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #7

Thumbs up fleetwood pace arrow wiring

Thank-You so much for the information. I was at a complete loss of what was, happing. I moved the motor home a month ago, with no issues, then went to due to my monthly checks and found this burned up wiring, What heck could have happened to cause this? any Idea? by The way Thank You for all you have done to get me going in the right direction.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycherylw View Post
What heck could have happened to cause this? any Idea?
Sometimes , it's a " What came first , the chicken or the egg ?" question .

Internal fault in the alternator ?
Wiring insulation worn through on the engine ?
Rodent damage ?

Hands on , I might be able to narrow the cause down , but even with pictures over the internet , It'd be like trying to do dentistry work over the phone.

Other pictures I have taken from other posts here in the forums , show the relay in a slightly different position and a diagram showing fuse wire links in the harness .
If the wiring burnt is a fuse wire , special care to replace with the exact fuse wire is required .
The town I live in has no Ford dealer so I'm limited to pulling info off the internet, I can't get my hands on a printed manual .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford F-53 starter relay 2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	363322  
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2022, 01:05 PM   #9

Without actual pictures of YOUR coach my best guess right off would be that at some point the batteries were disconnected from the cable. For replacement or keeping them from going dead while being stored, or whatever. Then upon reconnection one or more was hooked up backwards.
If you are absolutely sure they worked fine before and no one has disconnected or reconnected the cable then disregard.

Second thought would be there has been an excessive current draw on the starter cables. This can happen when the batteries are very low and you are trying to crank the engine anyway. Cranking the engine when it is turning over painfully slowly will often smoke cables, connections, and starter solenoids.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pace arrow, vision, wiring