Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #1

454 exhaust manifolds

My 1999 gas Trek had both exhaust manifolds crack. The choice was to replace with new cast manifolds or headers. I researched Banks and was told they only had materials for 4 more 454 header sets then the product would be discontinued. Jegs & Summit still had Banks headers in their inventory, so I bought a set of the "Long Tube" headers. Cost was $1400 and installation was $1600. This included drilling out 4 broken studs, cutting & tapping the length on some remaining studs that wouldn't come out so they fit the header flange, 2 new Oxygen sensors, and cutting off a large unused frame bracket that interfered with the passenger side header. That's a big expense, but the mechanic spent 2 days on the job, and I'm glad I didn't try to install the headers myself.

A post on another forum says Banks claims that their headers alone give 28 HP and 36 Ft Lb torque. Hmmm. I just drove back from the shop, and my Butt Dyno didn't feel much difference, so I need to get on the road for a better experience. I did notice my Scangauge showed around 5 degrees less coolant temp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We put the Banks headers on a Ford V-10 and could not really feel any real difference off the line. But the motorhome performed better in the midrange RPMs. We could pull a slight grade better before the transmission would drop out of overdrive.

According to the Banks info, they tune the headers for more midrange torque which is where you need it for towing or hauling a big box.

Ken
Old 06-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #3

Agree the primary benefit is some additional torque. I will be towing our car trailer this Sunday, and anticipate feeling a small increase. Maybe being able to stay in overdrive a little longer on slight grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We put the Banks headers on a Ford V-10 and could not really feel any real difference off the line. But the motorhome performed better in the midrange RPMs. We could pull a slight grade better before the transmission would drop out of overdrive.

According to the Banks info, they tune the headers for more midrange torque which is where you need it for towing or hauling a big box.

Ken

Tags
454, exhaust