Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

454 water pump

while doing my checks found water pump bearings shot i am surprised it didnt go thru radiator. seems i read here you can get the wrong pump so i need to know how to tell i get the right one. also the fan shroud is a 2 piece held together with staples im going to try to get the bottom half off so i can see in there looks like i have to remove the engine oil cooler lines to do that. last seems like my friend jim talked about a thermostat to get. its 100 here in DFW so this is going to be a chore any advise would be helpfull. jim check e-mail
thanks dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
while doing my checks found water pump bearings shot i am surprised it didnt go thru radiator. seems i read here you can get the wrong pump so i need to know how to tell i get the right one. also the fan shroud is a 2 piece held together with staples im going to try to get the bottom half off so i can see in there looks like i have to remove the engine oil cooler lines to do that. last seems like my friend jim talked about a thermostat to get. its 100 here in DFW so this is going to be a chore any advise would be helpfull. jim check e-mail
thanks dave
Hi Dave....
Got your E-male and here I am, Before you remove the staples from your shroud please drill 4 holes (1/4 X 20 threads with nice flat washers) on each side of the shroud....
Those predrilled holes will aid you on the reassembly and will line up the shroud perfectly.....
Now for the pump, Since I'm not sure of your year and engine (REVERSE FLOW) or not here are the phone numbers directly into "Stewart pumps " WWW.Waterpumps.com " 1-906-789-2816 and the Tech line is 1-336-859-2555
We just finished out the new thermostat change out in 110* weather and it wasn't fun BUT both air conditioners were on full blast and the cab area wes cool...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wasn't aware of an issue with 454 water pumps. I have a 1999 chassis - what should I be checking for please?
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

jim thanks i know you said about something about the thermostat. give me a little time il buy you dinner i have never been west only about 40 miles
Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

ok 3 hours into got the oil cooler lines off to access the lower fan shroud,ac bolts loose
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #6

ok jim its a 1985 finally can get to it im down to 1 bolt you mentioned a stat to buy mine is standard rotation my boy can get me a discount but special order now to get a belt to remove smog pump my rig always passed in low 20's but there is no emissions here
thanks jim dave
Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #7

I just finished replacing the water pump on my 1985 Winnego with a 454 engine. The bearings also were also shot. It only took me about three hours to replace it. I had no problem finding the correct water pump. Just glad I found it before it went threw the radiator.
Jerry15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

When I replaced mine I didn't remove the shroud. When I removed the fan, I just let it lay in the shroud. There was room on mine to work around it. It took a lot less time then removing the shroud.
Jerry15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

i wish 10 hours plus i can get to the pump now
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #10

I too just replaced the water pump on my '93 Brave with 454. I didn't remove the radiator because I did all the work from the top of the motor inside the coach. Initially took over three hours to replace, then filled radiator with water, started the motor and noticed a leak. Gasket move . Started from square one, replaced gaskets, re-assembled components...done in 30 minutes. BTW while at it, I replaced all the belts and both radiator hoses.

One thing for anyone doing this yourself, bring your existing water pump with you to the parts house because the replacement year for mine was from a '73-'84 GMC that had an extra threaded "boss" that the '93 year model didn't.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #11

It is also good to get some glue to secure the gaskets in place on the water pump. I usually use weatherstrip adhesive, the yellow glue frequently called "gorilla snot". Make sure it is dry before you try to install it.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 AM   #12

i agree leadman plan is to glue gasket on block and let it dry for a day
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Glue gasket to the pump!! That way, if you have to ever replace it again, it'll come off with the pump (most of it). Glue it to the block, and you'll be scraping and cursing for hours.

Same for oil pan, tranny pan, head covers, intake, etc...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 AM   #14

a follow up i could finely could afford a pump so i got to thinking what am i doing wrong so i pulled the cross member that ties the frame together was able to get better access to pump. found the steering box bolts loose. pump is on and fan and pulleys installed. after church ill try to button up.
dave

Tags
water