RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

73 Dodge Sportsman fuel issues

Bought my 73 dodge sportsman for $300.....thought I was getting the BEST DEAL EVER! Put about $1500 worth of parts on the chassis. The box is is fairly good shape except for some water line repair and a new water heater. Set off on our first family cross country road trip, and immediately started having fuel issues. Replaced fuel pump, electric boost pump, and almost all the fuel lines, and new filters. Darn thing left us stuck for at least a day in a dozen towns along the way. Running out of ideas on what else to change.... It's still having trouble getting fuel to the motor..... Any ideas?
Jc2drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #2

1973 Dodge? IIRC both the 318 and 360cu engines had a mechanical fuel pump on the engine and any booster pump was in-line.

My last guess is the pickup sock in the fuel tank is clogged or you've got a really interesting case of vapor lock.

Good luck, and let us know how this sorts out.
Solo_RV_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Sorry I can't help with that.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you getting fuel coming out of the fuel pump?

I would disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel pump, get another piece of fuel line connect it to the fuel pump put the other end into a 5 gallon gas can.

If you MH runs then you know you have a problem with the tank and/or fuel lines.

If it does not run, problem is with fuel pump or carb.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #5

Had the same issue with an avion motivator. Gas tanks kept having bits fall off the sides. Clogged the jets. Sometimes cloged the port connected to the float.

Pain in the but to pull the carborator, clean the jets. Had to do it every to often if you know what I mean.

Resolved the issue by geting the gas tanks relined. For the life of me I still dont know why the 3 fuel filters I had in line as well as the magnetic fuel filter to catch metal particles did not work.
Rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #6

I would suspect either a plugged fuel pick up in the tank, or the gas cap is not venting and causing an issue.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

I'm with the plugged fuel sock on the pick up tube in the tank crowd.

I owned a 73 Maxi van from new and worked at Chrysler/Dodge dealer from 75 till 07. saw the plugged sock often , more often on the steel tank.. I've even seen the metal pick-up tube in the tank with rust holes and sucking air.
Do you have the steel tank or the optional 36 gal plastic tank?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #8

Steel tank..... The pickup/sending unit, and the gas cap are the only two things I haven't replaced.
Jc2drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc2drm View Post
Steel tank..... The pickup/sending unit, and the gas cap are the only two things I haven't replaced.
Hate to say it, but in the tank , is more than likely where the problem is.
If rust and a plugged fuel sock are the issue, the tank it's self may be in trouble too.
By the late 70s all the new Dodge vans were switched to plastic tanks , if you require a tank then swapping for a plastic tank from a newer van ( provided the tank is a Dodge item) might be the way to go.
If you can post a photo of the tank , I can say if it's a Dodge item.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

Real easy to tell if fuel is being delivered to the carb or the problem is in the carb. Unhook the gas line right before the carb and crank the starter. If fuel flows, then the problem is in the carb. If not the fuel sock or somewhere in front of the carb.

Like I said in my previous text post for me it was in the carb, not the fuel sock but it was caused by the rusty steel tank.

Dropping the tank and replacing with a plastic tank would be awesome. I took it to a shop to reline it. I never heard of a plastic gas tank before.
Rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, fuel