Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #127

New pump and fan clutch installed

Got the water pump and fan clutch replaced today.

That was a JOB! I can't believe EVERYTHING is connected to the water pump, literally. The pump I pulled out was clearly not factory, it had been installed with silicone on both sides of the gasket.
The fan clutch has the same number on it.

After getting everything out of the way, I sanded the block well. I used permatex gasket adhesive on the pump side of the new gaskets.

I got all the brackets and components back in place and the belts are on but not yet tightened. I still need to add antifreeze and double check everything.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Got the water pump and fan clutch replaced today.

That was a JOB! I can't believe EVERYTHING is connected to the water pump, literally. The pump I pulled out was clearly not factory, it had been installed with silicone on both sides of the gasket.
The fan clutch has the same number on it.

After getting everything out of the way, I sanded the block well. I used permatex gasket adhesive on the pump side of the new gaskets.

I got all the brackets and components back in place and the belts are on but not yet tightened. I still need to add antifreeze and double check everything.
LMAO I knew that was going to happen, and now you might understand why I am going to just pull the radiator off and start working from there. I spent the first 18 yrs of my youth in my father's garage, I cannot tell you how many GM trucks I've had the pleasure to work on..40 yrs later opening up the dog house and looking around the first time just made cringe...It was then and there I decided that the radiator was coming out...my yrs of standing on my head and making every possible body contortion possible just to get at bolt are gone..done..nope not going to happen...I'm glad you completed your mission, are your knuckles still intact come to mind....

It also gives one a sense of not over-tightening the fan belts...just a thought.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #129

As tight as the space is, my knuckles have only a couple of small scrapes. I was pretty careful to not slam them too hard taking loose the bolts.

I definitely considered removing the radiator, but there's a lot of stuff attached to it as well. It looks pretty clean inside from what I can tell, so I opted to leave it in place. Had the cooling system looked dirty I definitely would have pulled the radiator.

I'm glad to have it done now. Definitely another level of peace of mind knowing I won't have to change it out on the side of the road somewhere.

The fan clutch I removed appears identical to the new one and has the 2797 number stamped on it. I can't really tell if the old one was working or not, but again that peace of mind thing was worth the $35.

This morning I have to finish welding a mobile chicken coop for my wife. She's got 12 chicks that hatched over the past 24 hours, and I promised I'd have the coop finished this weekend. The hope is that I get that done in plenty of time to tighten the belts, fill the cooling system, and give it a test run.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #130

Well I finally had the time today to take it out for a drive. I ended up going close to 50 miles. It ran well! The temperature gauge would get to the exact center and I would hear the fan clutch engage and it would fairly quickly drop back to about 3/8 of the gauge sweep. I stopped for gas and it started right back up. Idling at long lights the temperature never climbed above the center of the gauge.

My cruise control is not working; it was before the fire. I removed most of the vacuum lines, so I'm guessing that is the issue. I still have some investigating to do on the wiring and vacuum lines. I definitely need to get the doghouse glassed in and insulated; with the new addition to it, you can really hear the engine and especially the fan when the clutch engages. I also have the isolator system to trace through; I am NOT looking forward to that! ...but, it is something that needs attention...

All in all it was nice to be able to take it down the road with it running well!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #131

Brob I see you will be my go to guy for advise =)

I love they way you are upgrading pretty much everything that may need upgrading. This is exactly what I am in the process of doing on my 85 winny. This is a great thread.
Thanks a bunch
4x4 RV Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #132

Glassed the doghouse

Well I finally managed to squeeze in a couple hours to work on the motorhome again. I have driven it a bit since the engine work I did and I just had the modified doghouse sitting in place with a piece of foam under the new section. I wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any issues with the foam board in the hot engine compartment; I drove it for over 50 miles with the exposed foam with no signs of heat stress issues.

I first cut a piece of fiberglass cloth and epoxied it to the foam underneath and the existing doghouse. I let it cure overnight before flipping the doghouse over to glass the top side. I used fiberglass cloth and West System Epoxy. I used the 'dry method' to lay in the epoxy on the glass, and I didn't use any fillers in the epoxy so it would be nice and thin. It soaked into the plywood pretty well and I managed to get a good bond. I'll put another layer or two of epoxy just to be sure it's plenty strong, but everything bonded together well.

I rounded the edges of the plywood prior to laying on the glass. Since this will be covered in carpet, I don't think it needs to much more attention beyond another couple coats of epoxy resin. Though I installed foam board insulation underneath, I believe I'd like to see a layer of sound deadening insulation somewhere on the doghouse. I believe if I can come up with something I can put on the top side, then adhere the carpet to that, that is the way I would prefer to do it. Anyone have any product suggestions?

The white parts around the doghouse addition are an adhesive caulk I used to seal everything up. It came out nice and level; I believe once it's carpeted it will look like it came that way...hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse dry.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	285276   Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse wet.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	285277  

Tags