Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #1

Unhappy 87 Georgie Boy will not start

Trying to turn 454 engine over and all I get is 1 click from sarter relay above the alternator? Any help would be great, this is going on 2 weeks with 2 new starters, new battery, wires burning, checking and cleaning connections etc, etc
stfrsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stfrsc View Post
Trying to turn 454 engine over and all I get is 1 click from sarter relay above the alternator? Any help would be great, this is going on 2 weeks with 2 new starters, new battery, wires burning, checking and cleaning connections etc, etc
Can you put a socket on the pulley of the engine crankshaft, and turn the engine over by hand to make sure its not froze? It's either that or the transmission is locked up.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Turn Over, Neutral, Chase & Replace

Howdy... I know this can drive ya nuts.

1. Since you have replaced the starter X2 you should get a socket on the crank and give it a twist to see if the motor is seized.

2. Crank in neutral...

3. If none of this helps you are down to Chase & Replace... EVERYTHING from the battery to the starter, alternator, and ground wires. I replaced all of my wiring with 2/0 and copper lugs and used a grinder to clean the grounding points.

Yes, I know it is overkill... but I do not like to revisit problems and you would be surprised at the garbage wiring jobs I have replaced.
murphylawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #4

It was running and driving fine, up until I started having issues with the starter and needed to use emergency start quite a bit, a seized engine sounds a bit extreme?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #5

Yeah the wiring in this rv is a nightmare, I'm thinking it's something with a connection
Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #6

Both starters worked fine when I installed them, then the 1st one the bendix was bad so I took it back and got another under warranty. The 2nd started up just fine 3 times, then sat for 2 days and I'm now in this position.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My recent wiring woes....

I recently had a similar issue... in the end it was bad grounding wire that actually got hot enough to melt.

I replaced everything... no more problems.
murphylawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Was the relay just above the alternator just clicking? I have been going over all the wiring I can get to, but I'm in michigan and can only get out in the cold for so long at a time. I'm going out in a few to recheck the starter wires and what grounds I can find, I'll see if that helps thanks.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

check for a bad ground strap between the engine and the frame.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #10

Use a set of jumper cables to ground the engine to the frame to check for a bad engine ground.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #11

That solenoid on top I believe is for emergency starting. If the main engine battery goes dead there is a push button on the dash to switch over to the coach battery for starting. The solenoid on top of the starter is what should be kicking in to turn the starter.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #12

I had an Air Conditioner Compressor lock up and prevent the engine from turning over. One way to check all accessories, if it is a serpentine belt, remove it and see if the engine will turn over.
Hope this helps.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm checking out all the wires and grounds and have found a few issues and am cleaning them up now. As of right now I'm cleaning up a lot of rusted connections on the battery isolator and what looks like another solenoid type thing with what looks like ignition and starter markings and wires going to the starter. This thing has really been cobbled over the years and I'm slowly getting it sorted out, I'll post my solutions when I get it started.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

What model Georgie Boy do you have?
I have a 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter Thirty-six, and I have gutted it down to the framing. I have been through most of the wiring, and I must say some of it seems haphazard. I have been unable to find much in the way of documentation so I have been metering, tracing, and labeling the wires as I move through the project.

I have the majority of chassis wiring in working order, but I do still have some work to do on the house/chassis relay area.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgie boy