Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

88 Jayco Restoration Project

Hello all,

New guy here from Alaska and Im going to be restoring an 88 Jayco Class C. Little back story on the RV...

My dad bought this from the first owner back in the early 90s and we took it on multiple trips across the country from Alaska to as far east as Montreal. My dad ended up giving me the RV back in 2010 and due to life being the way it is, I ended up having to store it at a friends house where it sat neglected for 4 years. A year ago I finally got back on my feet and found a place with RV parking and I moved the Jayco to where I currently live. Anyway my old man died this past July and seeing how this camper was his baby, I've made it my mission bring this thing back from the sorry state its currently in.

The RV (or iRV that I call it) has around 80,000 miles on it.
Its on a Ford E350 chassis with a 460 and C6 transmission that both seem to be mechanically sound, other than a leaky transmission pan (I'll get to that later though).

The first thing I'm going to be doing is making this thing water tight. The roof developed some leaks which unfortunately made their way inside the coach. I'm about halfway through removing the old dicor from the roof seams, which hasn't been a fun process btw haha.

Anyway my plan for the aluminum roof is this...

Remove all the old sealant from the seams and around vents and such.
Apply new dicor.
Apply an elastomeric sealant over the whole shebang. I also have some eternabond tape that I was planning on laying over the seams after I lay down the dicor and roof sealant.

Well that's the plan anyway. What do you guys think? Advice or opinions would be appreciated, thanks guys and gals!
88jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sounds like you have a plan going, don't forget the pictures. The people here like lots of pictures. Look forward on viewing your progress.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Sounds like you have a plan going, don't forget the pictures. The people here like lots of pictures. Look forward on viewing your progress.
Yep, I'll see if I can get some pics up this evening...
Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

So I'm currently resealing the tail and clearance lights, but a couple screws on the clearance lights are rusted and the heads snapped off when I tried to remove them...good times!

Does anyone know a good method for removing broken off screws...?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88jayco View Post
So I'm currently resealing the tail and clearance lights, but a couple screws on the clearance lights are rusted and the heads snapped off when I tried to remove them...good times!

Does anyone know a good method for removing broken off screws...?
If these are wood or sheet metal screws you might try grabbing them from the other side with a vice grips and unscrew them that way. FWIW I'm envisioning the screws that hold my running lights onto my RV's fiberglass end caps, of course yours may differ.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
If these are wood or sheet metal screws you might try grabbing them from the other side with a vice grips and unscrew them that way. FWIW I'm envisioning the screws that hold my running lights onto my RV's fiberglass end caps, of course yours may differ.

Steve
Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. The clearance lights are aft of the rear storage bins, I'll open them up and feel around in there. Hopefully there's enough screw to get a pair of pliers on...

I'm really hoping the screws on every light arent as corroded as the aft ones. I have a feeling they're going to be though.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If that does not work spray WD 40 on them and dig into the wood a little grab with pliers. If all else fails, drill out and fill with epoxy putty and install new screws when dry.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with the OP'sters, and I will add I have been replacing all the exterior screws with stainless.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #9

I did this on an old trailer. I hope it helps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/seali...of-211295.html
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I agree with the OP'sters, and I will add I have been replacing all the exterior screws with stainless.
Tim
Yep, I came to the same conclusion. All exterior hardware will be replaced with stainless...I don't want to do this again haha.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I did this on an old trailer. I hope it helps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/seali...of-211295.html
That helps for sure! How well is that Kool Seal holding up? I've been looking at this stuff at Lowe's cuz I can buy it locally...

Shop BLACK JACK 5-Gallon Elastomeric Reflective Roof Coating (10-Year Limited Warranty) at Lowes.com
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #12

It's been rather rainy here the last week so I haven't been able to get much done on iRV. Today I was able to get the tail lights caulked and start on caulking the ladder connection points.

And unfortunately, the screws on the clearance lights don't penetrate, so backing them out with pliers from the back side is a no go. I've been thinking of just buying some larger clearance lights to replace the old ones with so I can just drill new holes and be done with it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I used a elastomeric roof coating I got from Menard's many years ago on a 1974 Shasta class A, and it worked very good! Can't remember if I used the Dicor self leveling sealant before or after putting the roof coating down? I think before, after I cleaned and removed all the old stuff, then covered the whole thing with the roof coating! Rail!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Try using a dermal tool to cut a notch in what is left of the screw and use a straight blade screwdriver to remove it, also some rust removal spray on them .

Tags
jayco, restoration