Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

89 Bounder

I am looking for someone who has experience of owing a 89 bounder. Were thanking abount purchasing one, we have had very bad experiencing in the past with older motor homes. Please help.
squeeter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

I don't have a Bounder but I do own an 86 winnie which I've had no problems with yet. I seen it at a used car dealer in another town and stopped every time I passed though and checked something different out. The best way to buy them is really check them over and even take them for a ride and try everything.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an '89 Southwind that wer're happy with, but we'll be trading in pretty soon. Jimbo is correct: you really need to do a thorough inspection before you buy an older motorhome.

Maintenance over the years will make far more difference than anything else; year, mileage, model, chassis are far less important.

If the seller will go over every system with you and explain every repair and update he's done, and (hopefully) present you with maintenance records, you have a good chance of picking up a bargain motorhome that will last you many miles.

The sellers that tell you "the air conditioners just need a little freon" or "sorry, can't light the stove for you cuz the propane tank is empty" or "we never used the furnace but I know it works" are the ones that you run far and fast from, unless you're looking for a project and have plenty of money you don't need

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

When you are looking at a MH that old you don't get overly concerned with the nmake as much as the condition of everything you see. If yoiu can get a complete record of maintenance done you are in much better shape. In general for that old, if you see any sign of a water leak just run away. My daughter & SIL just bought a 30 year old Bluebird today so I may get some experience on older myself.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 90 Bounder but I haven't owned it very long. I enherited it last year and I've been fixing it up. In 1990 my father's house burned down in a fire and it was purchased for him to live in while his house was being rebuilt. He kept it in case of another fire and took it on a few trips but it only has 6700 miles on it. It had been sitting for a long time. I had a slight tear in the rubber roof which I fixed myself. I had to replace the fridge cooling unit (the most expensive repair). I need new tires. I purchased a camera system. The only thing it needs is some kind of paint job. It required lots of cleaning but I'm ready to roll. Just in time for summer!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an 88 34' Bounder that we bought from my brother-in-law when he moved back north here from Florida. It has the Chevy chassis with the 454. He bought it from a friend of his who basically lived it in for 20 years. The biggest thing, as others have noted, is maintenance. If all the basic systems work, and the exterior has reasonable integrity, then you can get a pretty good deal for under 7 grand or so. The 454 is certainly a workhorse, it's relatively easy to work on, and the chassis is very strong. I think a great deal simply depends on WHERE the MH was most of the time, and how it was used. A lawn ornament that's 25 years old with less than 25K miles is probably hiding more potential problem than one with 100K miles that's been driven and maintained well.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first coach was a 90 Bounder 34S and it served me well until we traded up for our current one.
Even thought this was one ownered and very well kept, it had its problems.
One major expense I had from it sitting was having to replace the radiator.
But for the most part it served me well.
When i purchased it I and my FIL gave it a good going over and I drove it, I did buy it from a reputable dealer who had sold it new and knew the owners.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Seems a lot of Bounders sellers are asking too much.. Be careful.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote