Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

'89 Southwind Fuel

As you guys know I had a plug wire issue that caused a great deal of sputtering. I replaced them and it runs much better now. No doubt I will get much better fuel economy. My next question is, would running a higher grade of fuel give me better fuel mileage? Would the mileage be worth the higher cost of the fuel? I'm just trying to get a bigger bang for my buck (no pun intended). Thanks again.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

We run non-ethanol Premium in our '88 Winnie with the 454 - I figure the older engine fuel system, as well as the Onan 4KW genset will run better and longer with the slightly higher octane and lack of damaging ethanol.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

Wow, where did you find non-ethanol fuel? I hate that stuff! It's ironic that the fuel is 10% ethanol. 10% is exactly the amount that my mileage is reduced when I use it - car or Motorhome.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Run the fuel that meets the octane rating requirement for the engine. You will not see any appreciable increase in fuel mileage with the premium fuel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

That's the answer I was expecting. Thank you
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
While I agree with TXieman to a degree, I've noticed I get about 3 to 6 mpg more if I use Shell and Getty gas. Not sure why. The Getty gas I use I'm not sure if it's even Getty since they aren't around anymore but the sign said so is the most expensive around. I only use it when the engine is running a bit rough. Seems to clean them out a bit...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
During the mid 90's, we were running a trio of 3/4 ton delivery vans, all 80's vintage Chevy V8s. When we switched to using only Texaco gasoline, the vans started running much better, cooler and better mpg. Not sure why Texaco was so much better than any other brand, but the difference was like night and day.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
During the mid 90's, we were running a trio of 3/4 ton delivery vans, all 80's vintage Chevy V8s. When we switched to using only Texaco gasoline, the vans started running much better, cooler and better mpg. Not sure why Texaco was so much better than any other brand, but the difference was like night and day.

Yes I agree, best gas around. Like everything that was the best, they stopped making it...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #9

As far as being brand specific, here is what I do know about how gas is delivered. Let's use Texaco for example. The oil that Texaco uses to refine into gasoline is not necessarily the same gas that goes to a Texaco station. It is all dispersed nationally to any gas station. The only thing federal law requires is that the gas that is advertised at a station (I.e. detergents and other additives) must be the gas that is being sold at that particular station. What probably is the main difference is how well a station keeps water from building up in the underground tanks.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked for a company that provided the vapor recovery units for the gasoline storage tanks. in the Houston area, Kinder Morgan received gasoline from a number of refineries in the area and stores the fuel...not in separate tanks. When the tankers come for fuel, they pull up to a rack and fill the tankers from the common tanks...Texaco, Shell, Gulf, Valero, and independents. Shell may add a test tube of additive to a whole tanker. But if you notice the deliveries, you may see a Shell or other tanker off-loading at an independent. So you never know what gasoline you are getting in the larger metropolitan areas. You will also see independent off-loading at major stations. If the staion is not a company station, the owner will but gasoline on the spot market and get what he can fro the best cost.

In the smaller markets, they may be served by a smaller local refinery.

When we had our last gasoline motorhome with the V-10, it ran the same on all of the fuels, no difference in any of them. It was happy with the least expensive as long as there was LOTS of it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #11

you are right in the early 1980 ezzon had many oils in the truck diferent brands so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Run the fuel that meets the octane rating requirement for the engine. You will not see any appreciable increase in fuel mileage with the premium fuel.

Ken
Sorry Ken, With everything else well in tune you will find a decent fuel increase along with easy hill climbs....
Get into that poorly setup ignition first then on to the fuel delivery system (carb or TBI), I feel it takes a deep understanding of all of the contributing systems to wake up those lazy engines.....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim and they sell a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket that straightens out the electrons that go to the computer and increases the power and fuel economy.

Ken
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Jim and they sell a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket that straightens out the electrons that go to the computer and increases the power and fuel economy.

Ken
Ken, How many have you purchased?

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, southwind