Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #1

'89 Southwind Sputtering

Today I just replaced a muffler and put new hardware on the exhaust flange at the manifolds. Nice & quiet now. Now I have a new problem...she's sputtering. It almost sounds like a backfire but from the intake. Anyone else have this problem before? The RV hesitates each time and it does more the faster I try to go. My first thought is the timing is off. I never set timing on a 454 before so I don't know where the adjustment is. Does anyone have any other ideas? Hopefully a quick fix? Thanks
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Today I just replaced a muffler and put new hardware on the exhaust flange at the manifolds. Nice & quiet now. Now I have a new problem...she's sputtering. It almost sounds like a backfire but from the intake. Anyone else have this problem before? The RV hesitates each time and it does more the faster I try to go. My first thought is the timing is off. I never set timing on a 454 before so I don't know where the adjustment is. Does anyone have any other ideas? Hopefully a quick fix? Thanks
You adjust your timing by twisting the distributor. You'll need a timing light and you'll need to find what it needs to be set to. The timing marks will be on the crankshaft pulley that coincide with some marks on the block. Check the timing first before you mess with the distributor because you might find it is set correctly and have a different problem. Good luck and I hope this helped.
Guy an a dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Plug wires open or the boots near the exhaust flange you replaced are shorting to ground. The more load you put on it the worse it will miss.
Did you remove the distributor to upset the timing?
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Chevy engine of that vintage was really rough on plug wires. If you want to see the wire "leaking" pull the engine cover and wait utill it is good and dark and start the engine.

Best thing to do is to buy a good set of high dollar ceramic boot plug wires for the engine. Install them one a ta time, following the original wire route and keep them clear of the exhaust manifold.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

Thank you. That was very helpful.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
I had the same problem in my 1990 454 and you probably need to replace the entire wiring harness. They are a bugger on wiring from engine heat.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #7

i also have a 1985 i would first check simple things wires plugs then dist. cap and rotor. to set timing use wire # 5 get under the rv look on harmonic balencer on the drivers side (under motor) you will see the timing mark. that said i will lay money on wires
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
i also have a 1985 i would first check simple things wires plugs then dist. cap and rotor. to set timing use wire # 5 get under the rv look on harmonic balencer on the drivers side (under motor) you will see the timing mark. that said i will lay money on wires
Right on Dave

Are the metal shields that surrounds the plugs still in place?

If not get them (salvage yard), Next the only wires I use are the cheap "Pep boys Borg Warner select" straight boots HEIs stuff.....Never had a plug wire failure in many miles of driving and thats without the plug boots covered up with anything.....

All this B.S. about "Bling bling wires" being the best IMHO is simply B.S., Metal plug wire shields and decent wire is good....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
napa sells a set of ceramic end wires. these are very good wires. a little pricey.(about $100.00, but worth it.) The other thread is right in that you must not check timing from #1 plug but from #5 plug. This is because you use the motorhome timing bracket, on the bottom of the motorhome engine. When installing the wires they MUST be clear of the manifolds.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If your distributor cap develops a carbon trail between two towers or has moisture inside, the High Voltage can leak to the wrong contact and fire that cylinder. If that cylinder's intake valve were open you would hear a popping or backfire through the carb.
Likewise if you have an open wire and the voltage is unable to reach it's load to be discharged it will bounce around the inside of the cap until it finds the available path with the least resistance and travel down that wire. Again it might fire on a cylinder with an open intake valve.
The wires can be ohmed out. 500 ohms to 1K should be OK for GMs 50K HEI. A bad wire might read 500K to 1 meg..... Not positive on those values, its been a long time since I ohmed wires.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #11

agree with jim i run cheap auto zone have close to 30,000 miles on them if the get bad get a new set free. hey jim daughter graduated last friday now waiting on attorney general
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
agree with jim i run cheap auto zone have close to 30,000 miles on them if the get bad get a new set free. hey jim daughter graduated last friday now waiting on attorney general
Ummm, Dave, What will the "A/G" do for you?

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #13

$780 a mt then feb truck paid off$460
Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #14

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I did a thorough inspection of the plug wires and found two that had worn against metal tubing down to the center wire thus shorting out against the metal tube. It makes me sick thinking about all the extra fuel I've paid for that wasn't getting burned properly. Thanks again!