Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

96 Holiday Rambler Problems

I just purchased a 1996 holiday rambler vacationer . It stared rocking real bad . Driving to Nashville I could smell rubber could not find source . Had a blow out on the inside passenger rear tire . Tires are new . Put on a spare and went four miles and checked it . It was distroyed looked like it may have contacted the camper underside . What should I do . I have bushings ordered along with shocks .this is a ford chassis.thanks for any help
redpepper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a travel trailer or motorhome?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #3

You have to get the body work fixed. Blowouts can really do some damage to a MH.

On Jane I was having some electrical issues involving the converter. It’s located behind a panel attached with screws in front of the rear tires passenger side. When I opened it up it looked like a converter and maybe something else had fried, big bundle of burnt wire. I finally figured out that it was part of a tire that had blown out like yours and had landed in the compartment. Previous owner had patched the wheel well without checking inside evidently.

One of the issues with duals is when one blows out the other one is carrying all of the weight and it blows out too. I’ve had that happen on a truck and it’s exciting to say the least.

If you’re lucky the damage is something you can fix yourself. Otherwise
Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Tires are new as in just purchased or look like new with little wear ?

If they just look like new they could easily be years out of date that could have caused your issue.

If they are just purchased new they could still be out of date. I bought a set of rear tires and they came in with 4 year old date codes. I refused them and made them get less than 6 month out tires. Also the tire shop could have left the valve stem or extension loose and the tire leaked down while you were on the road.

Sometimes a road hazard will cause the issue. Not every blowout can be avoided but a TPMS system can sometimes help especially if it is a slow leak that causes it.

I would recommend letting a shop inspect the damage ASAP. The tire could have damaged brake lines, propane lines, electrical system, not to mention the protection from water intrusion.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Tires are new as in just purchased or look like new with little wear ?

If they just look like new they could easily be years out of date that could have caused your issue.

If they are just purchased new they could still be out of date. I bought a set of rear tires and they came in with 4 year old date codes. I refused them and made them get less than 6 month out tires. Also the tire shop could have left the valve stem or extension loose and the tire leaked down while you were on the road.

Sometimes a road hazard will cause the issue. Not every blowout can be avoided but a TPMS system can sometimes help especially if it is a slow leak that causes it.

I would recommend letting a shop inspect the damage ASAP. The tire could have damaged brake lines, propane lines, electrical system, not to mention the protection from water intrusion.
thanks for the help . Looking at the tires in the day light we discovered really dry rotted tires replaced all of them. Thanks again for the help
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #6

Found out the tires were really bad but looked new . Also found the bushings were gone on the sway bar . Thanks for all the help . Now to fix sub floor.

Tags
problem, ems, holiday rambler, problems