Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #1

'97 class C Itasca AC power died during use. DC works fine. Charging unknown.

Hi everyone. I've lurked these forums for a long time. Found lots of good info, but I'm stumped on this one.

We were plugged into a friend's house via an extension cord. Running the air conditioner and rice cooker getting ready for dinner when the power goes out. I thought maybe the power controller had over heated, but it's cooled down and still won't work.

DC works. Battery hasn't been used enough to know if it will charge. Any idea what it could be? Am I going to need a whole new power controller?
97itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like the inverter is turned off, disconnected from the battery bank, the inverter circuit breaker is open, or the inverter failed.

Presuming no one was fussing with the controls or the disconnect switch, I would look at the inverter to see if it’s breaker needs to be reset.

If you have a power line monitor, you might check that as well, running an air conditioner and the rice cooker may have together may have drawn too much current and activated a low voltage protection feature. It may have to be reset.

Mike
Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #3

Did you check if the house outlet still has power ?

Seems like you simply overloaded his circuit with two high amp appliances
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #4

Good news! Total false alarm, but it made me learn a bunch more that I didn't know before.

I assumed that the breaker we plugged the extension cord into didn't fail since my friend said everything in the house was on and they checked the breaker box.

Turns out there was a second breaker box for their garage that they didn't even know about. We flipped the breaker and I assume it will work.

I'm not testing it because the 30amp to 15amp adapter is also showing signs of damage. I'll pick up a new one today.

I'd like to leave some useful information for future Google searches, so I found the wiring diagram for the magnetek 6332 which is exactly what I have, so it's great to have that information as well. Here: Magnetek 6332 wiring diagram

Thank you for your suggestions, folks. Big thanks.

Mark
97itasca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, class c, itasca, power