Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #1

Air conditioning power switches?

The photo below shows a pair of switches that are located inside a cabinet in my 1985 Fleetwood Southwind.

Does anybody know how they are wired?

And I'm looking for any 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC wiring diagrams for my Fleetwood. I have the Chevy P30 wiring diagrams, I'm looking for anything that Fleetwood would have added or changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV air conditioning switches.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	233918  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #2

I see two problems here. The diagram pictures show both off or both on. To have only front or only rear you would need the switches in oppset positions. Also in the photo the switches are installed upside down.

Seems to me they are just on and off switches. one for each unit.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I see two problems here. The diagram pictures show both off or both on. To have only front or only rear you would need the switches in oppset positions. Also in the photo the switches are installed upside down.

Seems to me they are just on and off switches. one for each unit.

Enlarging the picture . switch on left labeled "NO" and switch on right labeled "ON". Assume they are wired so that when both are up, one is off and the other is on .... and vice-versa when down. Not sure what the wiring may look like to discriminate shore power from generator.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Enlarging the picture . switch on left labeled "NO" and switch on right labeled "ON". Assume they are wired so that when both are up, one is off and the other is on .... and vice-versa when down. Not sure what the wiring may look like to discriminate shore power from generator.
AnotherMike has opened up a can off worms here.

You are correct but that just makes things worse. A switch that is marked must say on or off per the NEC. On shall be in the up position of the handle. Off in down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	toggle sw.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	233927

The diagram says both handles up you can run both units. Both switch must say the same. How does the both handles in the up position do two different functions depending on the power source

Does the Generator supply more power then the shore power?

I would love to open that up and study it.

Of course I'm easily confused being just a dumb electrician trying to figure out the RV world.! LOL
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #5

Could they both be double throw switches ?
A cheap way if building a double pole double throw switch ?

A 30 amp couch has 1 incoming line that can only run 1 air conditioner, but the generator will have 2 lines. One for the house loads and the second dedicated to 1 air conditioner.
My 30 amp MH with a 5500 watt generator had a 30 and 15 amp breaker on it. I didn't have a second AC so the 15 amp line did nothing.

It could be that there is one SPST and one SPDT.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

The RV has a 30 amp shore power system, the generator is an Onan 6.5kw, spec'd at 120vAC 37 amps.

I'm not going to be able to pull the cover plate and the switches and draw a diagram until the weekend - but now that is on the top of my list.

Anything else I should be doing or looking for while I am there?

Mike
Old 02-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Why take it apart, if it works, follow the instructions and use it.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why take it apart, if it works, follow the instructions and use it.
It looks like I left out a critical bit of info...

The coach can't tell if its genny or shore power... The way this coach is built/wired there is a manual transfer switch: to run the coach on the generator you plug the shore power cable into a TT30 female connector that is hooked to the generator.

This fact made me wonder as to the wiring... as the label under the switches says you can run both air conditioner units on the generator, or one on shore power.

There have to be a number of Fleetwoods still in use... Maybe another owner could share what these switches actually do... how they are wired...

Maybe someone has a Fleetwood AC wiring diagram in their collection, or maybe has been down this road and already reverse engineered the AC wiring.

Mike
Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

Air conditioning power switches?

The generator will have 2 circuits . One is wired to the 30 amp female outlet.The other is wired by an automatic transfer switch straight to the second air conditioner.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #10

The one on the left would scare me, doesn’t no mean no?
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

With that double switch arrangement, there will be no automatic transfer switch to the second air. It will go to one of the switchs.

Make sure both breakers on the generator are on. The air that runs on the generator should run without the shore cord plugged in and the switchs are up.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDTN View Post
The one on the left would scare me, doesn’t no mean no?
The switch is installed upside down. NO = ON.

Tags
air, air conditioning, power, switch