Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

You must be kidding. When the air tempeture is 110, what good is it to cover the roof. Even the wind that blows will be 110.

My suggestion is to get out. Northern Arizona is higher, therefore cooler- like Flagstaff

The other solutions- Get full hookups if you have a built in AC in your rig.
Or see about purchasing an AC or evaporative cooler.

Even exterior repair guys start at the crack of dawn and quit at 2PM.

Have fun-wear shoes so you don't burn your feet and a hat so you don't burn your brain.

I live in Tucson and would not think about leaving the house without 2 containers of water even if I was just driving 5 blocks. It doesn't even have to be cold, warm water takes less energy to cool down,

They just found a body out in the national park dead empty water bottle, and it is only the end of May and the ground itself is still cool. Too bad he did not know enough to find shelter- even a tree and wait til the sun went down.

My warning
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could you get away with putting a small sprinkler or two on your roof? I've known of dog kennels in west Texas that used this form of cooling. The water evaporating will keep your roof cooler which should help keep the inside cooler. They sell those patio misters at Home Depot. Those might be enough. You don't want water dripping off the roof, just enough that will evaporate.

Pippi should have put that reflective on the inside of her roof. That's where radiant barriers are most effective.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #17

I'd try a porous sun sail like the coolaroo or australian sun sail.

A buddy in hawaii has two on his lanai on the beach and they have been holding up very well for about 15 years. 4 years ago I took them in to my parachute loft and the PRC ran a couple new lines of thread around the stainless steel support cabling.

Since an rv is much smaller than his lania in my opinion it would be relatively easy to come up with a portable supporting and if the sail is kept tight there is not much wind drag since its basically only showing a knife edge to the wind.

MIke
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #18

The roof is just about done. I have to pick up some more foil tape to cover up some overspray at the seams on the rear section. The overspray can be seen in the pictures of the rear section. The front section shows the seams taped up. So far it does seem to help keep things cooler. We have been able to turn the A/C unit down from where it was set at for comparable outside temps. (The A/C is a Haier 800 BTU window unit.) It's on the Energy Saving setting now vs the High setting before. Time will tell on the electric bill. AND I have enough leftover foil to make a really nice Hat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	164998   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	164999  

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	165000   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	165001  

Old 06-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Richard, the photos of the roof are nice, but I think we are all anxiously awaiting photos of you in your new hat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Put insulating pillows in your roof vents $8 from Amazon.

Camco 45192 Vent Insulator with Reflective Surface https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6QX0..._UnkqzbA52EKWQ

Consider window awnings to keep the large windows in shade.

Fans.

Use your patio awning when possible. Not good when windy.

Cover skylights somehow on the outside with reflective material. Don't use on the inside as heat buildup may cause damage.

Tags
roof