Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #15

To answer the OP, our Fleetwood RV is 23 years old this year. We (meaning I) performed a number of repairs and maintenance to bring her out of the mothballs, my parents had it in.

If we would have had to pay a RV tech to do the work, we most likely would not choosen to keep this older coach, in the family. We have only had one failure in the last 2 1/2 years, being the generator coil and ignition module.

We have performed a number of preventive service and maintenance work to keep the older systems running correctly.

We have done some (unnecessary) upgrades , but they make us happy. Thinks like a better 12V power supply, TV, headlights, led lights, faucets and shower head.

So, for us, an older vintage coach works well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #16

Our rig is a 93 Holiday Rambler. We've owned it for several years but the end of last summer and this year is the first we got the chances to use it. Great deal when purchased but the motor took a big poop after around 1K miles. The interior is in unusually excellent condition. She sat for around 8 months as we debated weather to part the coach out or fix it. Well, we chose the latter and are very happy! I have a formal engineering background but there is no way Id attempt to replace the motor. Yeah, it was very expensive. Brakes were a mess too. New chassis air conditioner. Etc. The basic stuff Ive repaired / replaced myself. At this point we are painfully aware we have more $$$ in it than its worth, but we own it outright so no monthly expense. With a re-maunfactored ford power plant and all the other stuff it rides like a new coach. Freekin thing is unreal. Not our first unit but the best riding MH we've ever had. Doing the "glamping" thing you have to accept repairs and some aggravation as part of the overall deal. Fix it! How can you put a price on all the fun your having?
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #17

If you are only going to use it locally, you might get away from some of the big maintenance items. If you want to travel the country, you best keep things well cared for. I just put $7000 cdn in parts into mine. I replaced both fuel pumps, the rad, rad lines, water pump, air, oil, and fuel filters, belts, oils etc. If I had to pay for the labour, it would be double that. On the other hand, I just returned from two months, and 10,000 miles of east coast touring with no hassles on the road. People who think they are going to buy a 20 year old coach, then travel all over the continent without having to pay squat are dreaming. If these big items are not kept up, they will soon need repaired. Diesels have many other big ticket items like turbos, air compressors, air bags, etc etc etc. Then you have all the house items like fridges, water heaters, furnaces, water pumps etc, etc, etc. They are big money pits. If you cant fix them, get ready to pay someone who can. Like my friend says, "If your not working on your rv, you are planning on what your working on next". You can pay up front and have less hassle, or pay later and have more hassle. A big monthly payment doesn't guarantee no hassles, but your odds go up.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #18

Rick, you said Subaru onan? I thought Cummins owned them. Mine has a Cummins sitcker on it. Its a '82 thou.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #19

Exactly correct 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you are only going to use it locally, you might get away from some of the big maintenance items. If you want to travel the country, you best keep things well cared for. I just put $7000 cdn in parts into mine. I replaced both fuel pumps, the rad, rad lines, water pump, air, oil, and fuel filters, belts, oils etc. If I had to pay for the labour, it would be double that. On the other hand, I just returned from two months, and 10,000 miles of east coast touring with no hassles on the road. People who think they are going to buy a 20 year old coach, then travel all over the continent without having to pay squat are dreaming. If these big items are not kept up, they will soon need repaired. Diesels have many other big ticket items like turbos, air compressors, air bags, etc etc etc. Then you have all the house items like fridges, water heaters, furnaces, water pumps etc, etc, etc. They are big money pits. If you cant fix them, get ready to pay someone who can. Like my friend says, "If your not working on your rv, you are planning on what your working on next". You can pay up front and have less hassle, or pay later and have more hassle. A big monthly payment doesn't guarantee no hassles, but your odds go up.
And, you don't even have to have a 20 year old model to have these problems. My 2012 ( 2011 chassis) has had issues requiring a lot of cash.

You are so right about taking a 20 year old model across the USA.... I don't know if I would do that, unless, I knew everything is almost perfect. You never know for sure.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Rick, you said Subaru onan? I thought Cummins owned them. Mine has a Cummins sitcker on it. Its a '82 thou.
The past few years Onan's 2800 and 4000 series generators have come with single cylinder engines produced by a company named Robin. First Robin was part of Wisconsin and then bought out by Subaru and from what I just learned they were sold to Yamaha in 2017. Older generators like yours I have no idea who manufactured the engine.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
These post got me thinking.. worth it or not....

I agree on being handy and to what extent.. I personally will tackle 99%, with that said..

Many RV's are just used as they got bought new and some people trade them or sell early.. but these are no different than an oldy but goody, Stuff wears and goes bad..
The market at times are full of units with low miles and / or low use..

Each has its own can of worms..
My experience is fu;; pf fixer uppers, everyone I bought COULD have been used asis for a while, but I got them reasonable and wanted to keep and use..
My Last Class C convert was a shuttle bus made into apersonal motorhome for 2..
Nice unit, ebay special, flew to daytona and drove her to PA.. Had 136K on it but perfect maintenance by an old nascar driver.... It has 200K 8 years later, I would take it anywhere.
We need a bit bigger but our budget was low.. I looked for months,, Settled on a 96 minnie 29RQ, 32k on it,, Genny had 1180 hrs si it was used but SUPER Clean inside, had some minor delam, genny no spark, but came from old guy with every item he had, cover jacks, levelers, brq grille, rubs, etc etc,, all new in boxes, he got from kid brother, then his wife passed,,
Had 6 new michelins, 2 new batteries, belt etc new NY inspection..
Typical story of one giving up a nice RV.
I drove it from upstate NY to Eastern PA,, 170 miles, like a top other than a speedo erratic.. knew that fix..

WOW one might say, you got a great unit.. YES and NO..

My travels are 300-500 mile weekend trips 11-16 times a year..depends may be a long haul too..

It ran great, all worked but Genny..

I posted my story prior but I can say I did alot to it NO Regrets some of it is just me....being anal and I want to hop in and go like it was a 2019/2020 2 weeks old...

So my 6000 dollar rig....got my treatment. and NO labor cost but I have to say 80 to 100 hours...

Reseal Roof and all side seams, repaired about 36 sq foot delam, shored up the overhang bunk.. no leaks since 2011ish when it was fixed by dealer for an AC gaket and cracked skylight..
Repaired VSS/Speedo Wiring. $50 and 2 days troubeshoot
Got used Genny $500, swapped parts made a good one.. Installed, Sound proofed etc..
Spent a weeked and another $180 in stuff..
Took out old analog Tv;s replaced with a 27 up front and a22 in bedroom.. $350
Added an auto transfer switch and 120 inverter. $450
Complete tune up, ALL FLUIDS
New Cooling system - 850 in parts
Trans Cooler add on.
Refit Hitch to heavier and reinforce frame..
New headlamps to see, added new leds on body.
Change all inteior lamps to LED.
NEW Hi Flow Exhaust. Cat was bad anyway once we started to use..

So you can see it is a pay me now, pay me layer or just pay as you go......
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #22

I've had a lot of stuff replaced brand new

I'm old school, in that , I've had major systems replaced this year... new generator, new refrigerator, and new macerator pump and gate valves.

It's all pretty expensive......
Old 08-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
I'm old school, in that , I've had major systems replaced this year... new generator, new refrigerator, and new macerator pump and gate valves.

It's all pretty expensive......
RVS are like boats big money pits, you have to either be good at diy, or have very deep pockets [emoji14]
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #24

It's all about maintenance..... that's the name of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
RVS are like boats big money pits, you have to either be good at diy, or have very deep pockets [emoji14]
I understand.... and thankfully, all this is in the rear view mirror.... last year.... It is not likely to be every year.... fixing really big things like that is a capital investment in infrastructure......

I haven't had any major failures in the last 12 months since that event.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:07 PM   #25

I have a newly minted "vintage" coach which I picked up in 2017. So nearly 4 years ago. So far, no major mechanical issues. The 8.3 Cummins seems to be pretty near bulletproof. It only turns over a half revolution and then the engine fires up. Once, due to health issues, I didn't start it for several months. Still instantly fired up. Lots of house issues; lots of refurbishing and improvements. This year, just to name a few, I removed the overhead TV and replaced it with a 49" smart TV for which I had to sacrifice a window for; bought a new EEZ TPMS for the tires; bought a Scanguage unit partly because the original stock transmission guage doesn't work; fridge ice maker has never worked so bought a countertop ice maker... the list is endless! At one time I was handy; now I'm not due to health issues and advancing age so I'm stuck with going to an RV repair shop. Right now, it's in because the high-speed kitchen fan's hatch on the roof broke and I can't get up on the roof. Then the DW reported that brake lights and turn signals stopped working, so they are fixing that too. But I really love this rig and have fun driving it. With Covid, I absolutely do NOT want to fly or stay in hotels or eat in restaurants. I feel much safer and separated with the MH. We've taken a lot of small trips this year and had to postpone/cancel the big trips being planned.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #26

Broken tail lights and turn signals????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I have a newly minted "vintage" coach which I picked up in 2017. So nearly 4 years ago. So far, no major mechanical issues. The 8.3 Cummins seems to be pretty near bulletproof. It only turns over a half revolution and then the engine fires up. Once, due to health issues, I didn't start it for several months. Still instantly fired up. Lots of house issues; lots of refurbishing and improvements. This year, just to name a few, I removed the overhead TV and replaced it with a 49" smart TV for which I had to sacrifice a window for; bought a new EEZ TPMS for the tires; bought a Scanguage unit partly because the original stock transmission guage doesn't work; fridge ice maker has never worked so bought a countertop ice maker... the list is endless! At one time I was handy; now I'm not due to health issues and advancing age so I'm stuck with going to an RV repair shop. Right now, it's in because the high-speed kitchen fan's hatch on the roof broke and I can't get up on the roof. Then the DW reported that brake lights and turn signals stopped working, so they are fixing that too. But I really love this rig and have fun driving it. With Covid, I absolutely do NOT want to fly or stay in hotels or eat in restaurants. I feel much safer and separated with the MH. We've taken a lot of small trips this year and had to postpone/cancel the big trips being planned.
Hmm, this would concern local law enforcement people in my area and frankly it would concern many people driving behind you..... it's dangerous to have something as basic as this fail and puts a lot of people at risk..... it's an easy fix....
I hope you do it.

A lot of rear end accidents occur from people with no brake lights....I'm not kidding.....

I have no idea how "vintage" your RV is, but, if you have "fixed" the other things you mentioned, I hope you'll take my advice seriously.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Read again. Tommar said it is in getting fixed.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #28

Cool

We have an 89 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Knew on the way home from purchase that this was going to be different. I've had the awnings, front brakes and hoses,refrigerator, and dome over the shower replaced.Nine new tires because the others could engulf dimes in the cracks.New high amp alternator. Heater repaired(quit again in Pa. one fall!) I've replaced the two small windows in the roof over the cockpit. I call them skylights. Last year ripped out all the carpet and went back with a snap lock style of flooring. Rebuilt and braced the bottoms of the two large front storage bays, covering the bottoms with undercoating. because one of them decided to drop out on the interstate at 55 mph. The radio/cassette player doesn't work, the power windows need help going up and the inverter trips the generator when engaged. Last year while on vacation going to Pa, the clutch fan decided to go loose. Blew a hose. Fixed it, pulled in to a truck stop and had a steak dinner waiting on the sun to go down. Finished getting to my friend's house by driving at night when it was a lot colder. Had the repairs done, including replacing a leaky radiator. Which had to be custom ordered. 2,500 dollars and a week past our intended departure, it was ready. My buddy was kind enough to let us, a dog and a cat stay in one of his bedrooms. The joys of the rv life! But we are well aware of the issues we have with our rig. It tows my enclosed trailer with the wife's scooter, a small trailer to haul it, spare generator, ladder and a smart car with hitch. Expensive? Can be at times. Fun? You bet! All any of us can do is try to make the best decision for ourselves as we can.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems