Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Bottom Line: If you can't afford to buy a new one every 5 or 6 years, and the cost of a maintenance mechanic is more than you are willing to shell out. AND, if fixing and improving stuff is not your hobby, then maybe you need to consider a cheaper venue to throw your money at.

I hear that Gardening can be done reasonably debt free.

I have a friend who loves to Fish. As in, he spends more per year in Fishing Stuff than I do in my RV, Motorcycles, Off Roading and general playing in my machine shop Hobbies. Imagine spending $100K for a small boat, plus another $25K in accutriments to get the fish out of the water and into the boat, that you park in your driveway and only take it out a dozen times a year, and have to have a $70K Truck just to put it in the water. Then there are the endless fees that go with being able to fish in the premier fishing locals.

It's all about how you spend your disposable cash and how committed you are in that activity.

I've had my Fleetwood Limited for 20 years now. (A brochure picture of it when it was new below.)
It's far from Original, and has never been touched by an RV Mechanic at a Dealership or anyone else. I repowered it and am currently remodeling it's interrior. It gets about 14 MPG now!

Sure, I could have bought a never upgraded version several times over for what I have in it. But, it's what I do for fun. I don't drink, smoke or gamble. Won't pay to watch a bunch of Professional Spoiled Atheletes play ball sports, or have season anything tickets. I have a nice 2 story S&B in the Country with a huge shop behind it to play in. NOt to mention the private Airstrip behind us.
Been retired over 10 years now and love life. (And JSYK, I was Blue Collar / Technical)

I have been blessed more than I deserve.

It's like a guy told me the first time I filled up my RV. He was fillling his Diesel Pusher next to me at the time.
And I mentioned the cost to fill up my 100 gallon tank. Was overwhelmed a little by it, because I was only getting 5.5 MPG at the time.
He wisely said to me, "If you have to worry about the cost of keeping a big Rv in gas, then maybe you need to find a cheaper toy to play with."

Like we used to tell kids trying to get into Racing Cars back in the 60's.

Speed Cost Money, let us see your bank account so we can tell you how fast you can go!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/s...coolsmiley.gif
My Youngest son races Drag Cars. My RV is cheap!

It all comes down to priorities!
Cool stock photo of your MH, Curtis! From the overhang in the rear, I'm assuming that this is a front-engine coach? With the tag axle, it probably handles well. I'm in the middle of a roof overhaul with my coach. It's going to be a very expensive bill! So, this thread has been very interesting for me--motorhomes are indeed moneypits! I'm still facing new radiator hoses, a flush, etc. I may throw in the towel and sell it.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
ems, problem, problems