Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
After taking my motor home out this past fall I had a fuel issue. Ran out of gas but actually didn't. Anyway I have always said I wouldn't be afraid to take my MH anywhere. But now I'm starting to think maybe I'm kidding myself about the reliability of it. With it being 28 years old I have done my fair share of work on it and have had some issues on finding parts and or mechanics willing to work on an old unit. i have owned it for 18 of those years. It is the very last of the carbed engines. There is no more of a sinking feeling than being stranded on the side of a road. So I guess my question would be, how do you feel about the reliability of your vintage MH.
My 1972 is bullet proof, motor and driveline being uhm...46 years old. Pre smog so engine is absolutely as simple as an engine can be (wiring, smog lines, vacume lines). I trust it and drive back and forth from SF bay area to Tahoe about 12 times a year. I do all the work myself, except machining work and can do roadside repairs if needed. I replace fuel lines vacume lines and water hoses bi yearly and brakes when needed and of course bearings were done so good for another 30years...hahaha if I'm still around. Best part about vintage rv's is the simplicity of the mechanics. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180227_173254.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	194304
Undertheoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I did the same as RickNC, and more, with our 454 TBI powered '93/4 Flair when we bought it 3 years ago. Reluctant to cut a hole in the floor, I'm trying to figure out a way to install a backup pump in the system that can be activated by flipping a switch.
Steve
If you search around Classic Winnebago there was a post awhile back about someone doing that. He put a tee in the generator fuel line and a tee in the engine fuel line and a electric fuel pump between the tees. IIRC he also spliced in a one way valve on the engine supply line between the tank and the tee.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #17

I'm not afraid to take my 25 yr old coach anywhere. I have always driven old high mileage vehicles , and trust them for long trips.The way I look at it is , it has gone 200k miles so another few thousand should be no problem. I keep up on the maintenance and have rebuilt the alternators , starters before they fail. On my motorhome , the U joints , timing chain , radiator , belts & hoses were all replaced before a failure. It does cost a little more , but it's a lot cheaper than a new motorhome.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
Why do the British drink warm beer?"................Because they have Lucas refrigerators.
Any chance you have owned a British vehicle? ROFLMAO!!!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
If you search around Classic Winnebago there was a post awhile back about someone doing that. He put a tee in the generator fuel line and a tee in the engine fuel line and a electric fuel pump between the tees. IIRC he also spliced in a one way valve on the engine supply line between the tank and the tee.
Thanks for the information. I had considered that, but since the gen line was smaller than the engine fuel line I wasn't sure it would be adequate. I'll find the thread and read it. Something like that would be perfect.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #20

I don't necessarily "fear" taking our 24 year old rig out on the road... but I am prepared for catastrophic failures if we're more than a few thousand dollar towing bill from home... we travel with the title on board.

Seriously, the only way we can afford to do this is if I can do all the mechanic work. If I had to pay a Cummins shop $150/hr to swap an $8,000 crate motor into our RV... or an Allison shop... it's "good - night."

Just the reality of the world I live in.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I don't necessarily "fear" taking our 24 year old rig out on the road... but I am prepared for catastrophic failures if we're more than a few thousand dollar towing bill from home... we travel with the title on board.

Seriously, the only way we can afford to do this is if I can do all the mechanic work. If I had to pay a Cummins shop $150/hr to swap an $8,000 crate motor into our RV... or an Allison shop... it's "good - night."

Just the reality of the world I live in.

-cheers
Instead, you can be paying yourself $150.00/hour by doing the work. Well, maybe only $100.00/hour because you may need to purchase a few special tool and it may not go as fast the first time, but it isn't bad.

That's the way I've always figured it. And doing things that way sometimes serves you well in case of a breakdown on the road, it has me a few times.

IMHO, the more you understand about your RV the better off you are. It will also help with the "fear factor" if you have one.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #22

We both only have a couple months until we retire. We have a pretty old coach and have taken her on a few 100+ mile each way camp outs. Our plan is to plan a trip to a campground in GA and see if she makes it and back. One goal we have is to make it from FL to MN maybe this year (the DW's mom lives there). So I have a few things to fix before that trip. Functionally the coach seems almost ready but each trip longer than the last will be with apprehension. Maybe that is normal?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #23

A little apprehension is the spice that makes it an adventure. If you take all the proper maintenance and servicing precautions, you are mitigating the risk, but there's always Murph lurking around somewhere.

I will say that the more you initially worry, the more fully you prepare, which USUALLY translates into 'it was a piece of cake' when you get back.

Enjoy the thrills of being alive, get out there and see the country and enjoy your rolling slice of home! Seeya out there!
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #24

We go every where we want to and don't worry at all. We usually travel with my sister and BIL. We have the NEWER coach. The Cayo/Dodge has had a full engine/trans overhaul about 3 years ago and sis's GMC is getting an engine "refresh" this winter. If it were not for that and a granddaughter arriving, they would be headed for a rally Tucson. We were supposed to meet them there and then drive the entire PCH. So, they are still down for a while. But, but they will be back on the road for 2018 with a 45yo coach and not worried at all. I'm still afraid of California. I don't do drugs. I would have to leave the guns at home because they are not acceptable there. I don't speak Spanish.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-in-Mich View Post
After taking my motor home out this past fall I had a fuel issue. Ran out of gas but actually didn't. Anyway I have always said I wouldn't be afraid to take my MH anywhere. But now I'm starting to think maybe I'm kidding myself about the reliability of it. With it being 28 years old I have done my fair share of work on it and have had some issues on finding parts and or mechanics willing to work on an old unit. i have owned it for 18 of those years. It is the very last of the carbed engines. There is no more of a sinking feeling than being stranded on the side of a road. So I guess my question would be, how do you feel about the reliability of your vintage MH.
Give it a good going over. Hoses, belts, tune-up, service, lube the chassis, check all levels and look for leaks. As long as it has been well taken care of, it will give you years more service.
Case in point, my dad was off to the Yukon with my mom. They were taking his old 1966 Ford 1 ton (352/4 spd) with his home made pop-up camper. Another couple were going along with them in their 5th wheel pulled with a spanking new Ford diesel 3/4 ton. Guess who had 3 break downs? Not the trusty old '66!
Sort of says something about having a rig that's cared for and well broken in!
Not a lot to fail in that old truck. I counted the fuses the other day, it has SIX! And that's for the whole truck!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #26

We were broken-down for 13 days in Vicksburg, MS with a busted tranny in our '89 Vixen 21. It left me twice. Then I left it!

Here is my breakdown philosophy.
1) I am not going to climb under it! That is a slippery slope. I am on vacation.

2) I am going to investigate the best person to repair it in the area and talk to other owners of the same make/model for counsel.

3) If the estimated cost of repairs is over my head...it goes to storage until I can do something about it.

4) Rent a car and continue the trip or buy a plane ticket and go home.

5) Get on with Life while trusting Jesus!
PPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach isn't as old but.....

When we bought it we had good luck traveling without any significant problems. The first year we went to Alaska, ~15K miles without a hiccup. Pretty dependable until 2015, had road debris take out the radiator >>> $7K but covered under insurance. Got that fixed and then the exhaust manifold, did that myself but still another problem added to the list.

But I'm not going to let that stop me from traveling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #28

I have never worried about taken off in the 76. So far since getting it back on the road have only had to make one small journey on the back of a hook. Had a u-joint fail. Wasn't due to lack of grease nor did the cross show any thing that would have indicated a failure. It threw a snap ring and then over time the cap worked out was reason it failed. My best guess was the joint had been replaced in the past a snap ring had not been replaced correctly. Anyway same issue could have happened on brand new unit. Could have been repaired on the side of the road if I would have had a joint. This was in the Williams Lake area in Canada. Lost maybe 4 hours at the most on the trip so not a big deal. Most of the older equipment if it is maintained is just as reliable and safe to run as the new stuff. Sure parts can some times be an issue, age does not solve that issue and in some cases it may actually be harder finding parts for the new stuff. Especially if you need that important electronic black box to make it run. You know the one that was discontinued 5 years ago and every unit sitting in a bone yard is missing that box because it was a common failure item. Enjoy life, go live it, when thrown a sour grape deal with it and move on. That has always worked pretty well for me.