Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Are you afraid?

After taking my motor home out this past fall I had a fuel issue. Ran out of gas but actually didn't. Anyway I have always said I wouldn't be afraid to take my MH anywhere. But now I'm starting to think maybe I'm kidding myself about the reliability of it. With it being 28 years old I have done my fair share of work on it and have had some issues on finding parts and or mechanics willing to work on an old unit. i have owned it for 18 of those years. It is the very last of the carbed engines. There is no more of a sinking feeling than being stranded on the side of a road. So I guess my question would be, how do you feel about the reliability of your vintage MH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

My fear too, I retired my 94 Georgieboy Cruisemaster to a seasonal campground. Went and bought a new one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ESURUNNER23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We were always a little more secure feeling with either the Ranger or a bike on a trailer behind our 1993 Airstream.
Never had a breakdown, but got down to the fumes in the gas tank a couple of times.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #4

Mechanic is not my trade but I have owned enough cars, boats and motorcycles to become a pretty fair driveway mechanic out of pure necessity. When I bought my current motorhome (1994 Winnebago Warrior 23) i bought it with the expectation that I would have to maintain it and repair any problems along the road. I bought that specific model because it is small,basic has a simple TBI injection system and most parts are readily available.
Up front I replaced every belt and hose, replaced the brake system, complete engine service, complete chassis service with new bearings and bushings I also made an access over the fuel tank so the fuel pump could be serviced without removing the tank. I carry a spare fuel pump along with other spares.
Having done all of that, The biggest gain is that I have the acquired the skill to handle most any repair or failure that comes along. So I worry little about what may happen while out in the middle of nowhere.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Me too, but I worry when I take my 99 caddie (226,000 miles) my 09 Genesis, 87,000 miles, and my 1982 Pace Arrow, 65,000 miles on a road trip. I have taken the PA on many 5-600 mile trips and once to Ky and 4 trips to Az, only broke down once. Keep your tow ins. I look at it like all my trips are a adventure. I had to hire a mechanic once on the road and he charged me 100 bucks to install a new fuel pump. Not Bad I felt
Don't worry so much life is a adventure, enjoy your MH and keep it well maintained and it will treat you the same. Don't forget to keep It clean & waxed. I've only had on shop not want to work on it so I found someone that would, and I never went back to that MH Dealer. There loss not mine.
Just saying,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

I'm nervous about the time I finally get to go out in mine but not really in ref to the mechanical aspect of it.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

The only breakdown that I ever worry about is if the engine blew. For the most part anything else I would be able to do or the cost to have a shop do it wouldn't be crazy. To R&R an engine on these things even being gas can get costly, not to mention the down time.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our motorhome is not vintage yet, but I do own two vintage British sports cars. I consider myself a fair mechanic but I know my limits. I trust my Triumphs because I fix and maintain them and so far....they haven't left me stranded yet. Despite all the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" hype bs I've never had an electrical issue with them.
With the motorhome, it is based on the Ford E450 chassis which I expect parts for same will be around for quite a while. It's the electronic stuff that worries me the most, I haven't the skill set or diagnostic tools ( other than a code reader) to work on that part of it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
^^^^ My brother had a 1964 TR4 convert dual carbs custom duel exhaust, pretty quick too.
Now I have a 64 caddie and that Triumph would fit in the trunk.
LOL,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Fear sucks....get out and drive. Any of us could have a breakdown at any time, it is just part of the game. Same with a boat, a snowmobile, or a bicycle for that matter. I drove a 93 Pace Arrow on several long trips with all four of my sons. I lost my generator once in Texas at 103 degrees, and me driving through Dallas with a wet towel wrapped around my bald head is what the kids remember. It was actually my new (er) high (er) end DP that left me stuck in Montana for two days. Those two days, in retrospect, were a blast as well. Kids and DW rented a UTV and hit the mountains, I stayed back at the shop and secretly smoked a good cigar and learned a bunch of new stuff from the mechanics. Worth the $400.00 or so in education alone. Sounds like you have covered the basics, just turn the key and push the go pedal, the rest will work itself out.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Our motorhome is not vintage yet, but I do own two vintage British sports cars. I consider myself a fair mechanic but I know my limits. I trust my Triumphs because I fix and maintain them and so far....they haven't left me stranded yet. Despite all the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" hype bs I've never had an electrical issue with them.

With the motorhome, it is based on the Ford E450 chassis which I expect parts for same will be around for quite a while. It's the electronic stuff that worries me the most, I haven't the skill set or diagnostic tools ( other than a code reader) to work on that part of it.

Why do the British drink warm beer?"................Because they have Lucas refrigerators.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I got home from Nam January 69, two tours Nam and still six months from legally drinking and voting. But I bought a brand new TR4a IRS. Original set of nylon 590 15s were onion skins at 3000 miles. It was a basket case two years and fifty thousand miles later, gawd, I loved that car, $3,300.00 out the door. I see them on BAT and have to shake my head at them going for ten times that price.

I'll be 70 this year and love to look at other's classics. But the other day I saw a Civic R on I 8 and my heart stopped, gawd awful blue and jeez help us performance.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #13

I did the same as RickNC, and more, with our 454 TBI powered '93/4 Flair when we bought it 3 years ago. Reluctant to cut a hole in the floor, I'm trying to figure out a way to install a backup pump in the system that can be activated by flipping a switch.

When we leave home for a long trip (coast to coast) I always have plenty of tools on board. Two years ago I replaced the alternator in AL at about 55k miles. Last year it was the distributor in MO at around 60k miles. Like most I'm a shade tree mech., but I've been at it a long time. I've never been afraid of a RV/trip, I've always looked forward to them.

We'll head out for the east coast with it again this summer, and hopefully many more.

We've had our Spit6 since the very early '90's and the only failure in all those years was a coil. IMHO, it's been a reliable and fun little car.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #14

Heres my rationalization.

You read posts about breaking down en route to somewhere. And then...you find out its brand new. And then you find out they spent weeks at the dealer getting it fixed...or months and then its not fixed and they have to go back and on and on and on. People that have owned their RV a year and used it once cause its getting fixed.

So...whats the worst that can happen? Pretty sure all the kinks are worked out. Your hardest challenge sounds like its going to be finding parts.

What if it breaks down and its major? Get towed to a repair place and sell to the most interested employee and take the bus home.

I worry about the same thing. I have a 2004 but really anything can break down regardless of age.
Maintain it and check the things that wear and keep driving it. Doesn't matter what it is its always a possibility. There is no comfort in newness it seems.