Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Radio shack carries an assortment of 110VAC muffin fans that I am sure you could adapt. They run about $25 or so. Is the thermostat bad? If so then try a appliance repair store or fan thermostat | eBay

Dave
Dave,
I took your advice went down to Radio Shack, they had a 115VAC 3 inch (muffin) fan for 23 bucks, I bought it, it fits in the case with about 3/16 inch to spare. It is very quiet running, gotta get some nuts and bolts and spacers tomorrow at HD, drill some holes and install it.
BTW the fan thermostat works, heated it up with a hair dryer and it completed the circuit, after it cooled a bit it opened back up and broke the circuit.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #16

You gotta love it when a plan comes together. So now you will know exactly what you will have to do when you upgrade to a modern 3 stage converter charger sometime in the future. I am just glad you found all this before it failed during a camping trip (worse case a fire from the bad connections). However it was the stress of running the AC that made it all pop up.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
You gotta love it when a plan comes together. So now you will know exactly what you will have to do when you upgrade to a modern 3 stage converter charger sometime in the future. I am just glad you found all this before it failed during a camping trip (worse case a fire from the bad connections). However it was the stress of running the AC that made it all pop up.

Dave
You may be right , but I think the failed cooling fan might have had something to do with it.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
You may be right , but I think the failed cooling fan might have had something to do with it.
Yea the job is done and everything works great now
I installed missing ground wire on the ATS
I install a radio shack 115VAC cooling fan in the 6300 lower section. it is bigger then the original and just a fraction of the cost, it works great, the fan comes on and off as needed and the whole box is much cooler then before and the hum from the transformer is less.
I installed the fan with 1/2 spacers behind it to get it away from the wall so it could draw in all the air it needed
Cleaned every contact I could find, I am letting the Air Conditioner run, with all the ceiling lights on to load up to converter to make sure everything is
A-OK before I button it up and lower the bed,.
Check out the pics
Thanks to all that helped me with your ideas and suggestions, especially Dave.
just found a new issue, will start a new thread in a few minutes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grounding wire 005.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	21029   Click image for larger version

Name:	new cooling fan 006.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	21030  

Name:	new cooling fan 010.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	21031   Click image for larger version

Name:	new cooling fan 009.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	21032  

Name:	new cooling fan 011.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	21033   Click image for larger version

Name:	new cooling fan 002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	21034  

Name:	new cooling fan 003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	21035  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Wow, you got lucky in more ways than one !! You see that heat damage on the floor directly under the transformer ?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. I have a Magnatek 6345 in my rig that I'm seriously considering doing the Progressive Dynamics upgrade on, and wire in a Trik-L Start.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a couple of other things you should keep in mind. Some campgrounds don't have the best electric in them. The wire going to the outside plug should be checked at least once a month when in the same park. Another issue i have had is the wiring for the A/C can be very hot in use and will cycle to the point that the wire will come loose but still try and work. That can cause another meltdown like the one you just fixed. I pull my front panel off and screw them down tight again. Do that at least twice a year and use the Vacuum to remove Spider nests and dust bunnies out of it. If you are in a real hot area like AZ in the summer do this more often. I have seen my wiring actually melt to where it was ready to quit or start a fire. I check my panel and my switchover box every month to keep things in good shape. I also use Dialectic grease to keep it as good as connection as possible. The plug outside should be checked every week. They are the main issues of meltdown. I have had electric brownout like symptoms and it was the plug that was causing the issue. Sometime i find that the pole plug has burned to where when i plugged into it the box started smoking right then. I must have replaced the plug on my cord about 7-8 times in the last few years because the parks don't check things like that. I had to replaced the one on the pole twice in two different parks. I took it out of there rent! Most places are good about maintaining there electric but there is no way to be sure about it till you start using it. I always check to see that they are wired right too. I have seen them wired with the hot (Black Wire) screwed to the ground lug!!!!! I have a 30 dollar tester to check this out before i even plug my home into it. I know that most of the, (eeexperts....), here have already found this out the hard way but you don't have to find out the hard way. Thats why we are here. Welcome to the joys of rving. Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
Wow, you got lucky in more ways than one !! You see that heat damage on the floor directly under the transformer ?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out. I have a Magnatek 6345 in my rig that I'm seriously considering doing the Progressive Dynamics upgrade on, and wire in a Trik-L Start.
Actually that was a thick plastic that was under the box and it was melted and stuck to the botom of the box, it was real bear to pull it out. I finally had to use a couple of big putty knives and slide them under the box on all the areas I could reach to break the plastic off the metal of the box, Guess they used it as a sort of water barrier back then, I found the same thing under the bench the furnace was housed in.

Tags
install