Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:08 AM   #1

Awning for 1976 Tioga?

my tioga has 4 triangular rings along the top where the awning belongs, i have no idea what type they had on it. I looked around and found slide in ones on the vintage trailers and rvs. Am I safe to guess they rigged their own type of awning? if so, what options might i have to use what is already in place? (inexpensive is a plus...lol)
artsyrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #2

You lost me at 'triangular ring'. In this case a picture would definitely help.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

edit: flicker is down - i think they may be classified as tiedowns? heavy duty, i would hazard a guess at galvanized.

i will see if i can figure out how to link a picture... i believe it may be called a triangular D ring, kind of like you see on picture frames, but a lot more heavy duty
Old 12-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #4

Now I got it, they could have been used to tie off a tarp for an awning. Kind of a pain as you'd have to work from a ladder, but if it was a seasonal camper it wouldn't be that big a deal. It would probably be harder to keep the other side stable, especially in any breeze. A better (easier if you move more than once a year) solution might be one of the free standing awnings. They're more work than an awning and would be less wind tolerant, but way cheaper. They also require a fair amount of space for storage, which could be a definite consideration with a Class C.

If you want an awning it will probably take a lot of searching. They are expensive and one of the higher maintenance items on an RV. You can get an old cheap one then end up searching for old parts and spending hundreds of dollars for new material. It pretty much needs to be a local sale, shipping an awning tube would be really expensive.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

I am guessing that having the aluminum siding will pose a bit of an issue too for placing any type of regular awning on it. the Slide in type that i saw on older rv's looked like a nightmare too (I am just over 5' tall, so just about anything to do with an awning will be a challenge anyhow...lol). I am thinking i may have to design my own, and i am sure i could sew something up... I will have to research different set ups and what issues to be aware of in designing one.

Tags
awning, tioga