Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Because my basement furnace likely does not work....

Could I reasonably fill the thing with yellow insulation via the registers on the floor inside? Or would putting an R4 block inside the register space snugly and placing a floor sticky tile over that work for blocking any or all of the extreme cold I have felt the past few days and nights here in OKC?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Fix the dang furnace

RV Furnace is real good at keeping the inside and enclosed underbelly area WARM so RV Plumbing lines do not freeze/burst.

Instead of reinventing the wheel....fix the heater (if broke)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

To answer the question posed: Yes, either way will work.

I would prefer using fiberglass insulation packed loosely into plastic bags. Loosely, because it works better that way, and bags to contain the insulation "dust". Plus, easier to pull out later if you want.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

I think that the furnace does more of a double duty to protect the pipes from freezing (as OB mentioned) than you realize. What is your alternative to the furnace? I think you should see if it works and if not what it would take to make it work.
Did you rule out or remove all propane capability before you found out if it worked?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

Furnice doesn't work

The only thing I can add is after you try all the good suggestions that have been given. Then you might be able to source a used furnice off a rig that is at a scrap yard. Also a new furnice will give you many good worry free days. Try pricing one at PPL Motor home in Texas.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I think that the furnace does more of a double duty to protect the pipes from freezing (as OB mentioned) than you realize. What is your alternative to the furnace? I think you should see if it works and if not what it would take to make it work.
Did you rule out or remove all propane capability before you found out if it worked?
No. I simply don't want to use propane at nearly all costs.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
No. I simply don't want to use propane at nearly all costs.
I don't understand why you don't want to use your propane furnace. Propane furnaces have been around a long time and are trouble-free. Is something wrong with it? Of course I'm not advocating using it in an unattended MH. I would recommend winterizing if storing.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Because of all the scary propane stories I guess.
I was cleaning it off awhile back and turned the knob and ended up with it apparently coming out and filling the air around the RV with it.
I could make it to a shop for service but....
I went in last night to go to sleep and turned and switched the stuff on the two different panels, one that says HydroFlame and the other that says Koolomatic to no avail (I presume because propane not on).
Might I ask if there is a process or steps to follow?
I'm not a stupid idiot or a sheltered woman, I've just always lived in homes where everything was already on and ready to go with zero issues, etc.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

Hydroflame (Atwood) is the Furnace....needs 12V DC for power and PROPANE for fuel in order to make heat

Kool-O-Matic is a fan in kitchen ceiling......obsolete/parts very hard to find
Also needs 12V DC for power
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

Here is a link to a search of the furnace https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...utf-8&oe=utf-8
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #11

I agree with the others... fix it if possible. It isn't all that hard to ascertain if the furnace is repairable. Many furnaces never received much use and if the guts are in good repair, and the burner assembly in decent shape, these furnaces can be repaired. I recently went through my 1991 Atwood Hydro Flame having never seen the insides of one before. It needed a thorough cleaning, a new motor, and that was about it. I changed out the old mechanical thermostat for a new digital Honeywell. I ran steel wire through my duct system and pulled damp terry towels through to clean the ducts, and I scrubbed out all the mouse poo. I added the insect/rodent screen to the exhaust to prevent critters from getting back in. You'll be happy with the heat you'll get out of one of these furnaces.

Good luck!
Steve
Dr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What are you doing for hot water? What are you doing for heat? What are you doing for a refrigerator? What are you doing for a stove/oven?

Afraid of propane? Stop believing all of the scary stories on the internet. I don't understand trying to find work-arounds rather than fix and use proven components that have been around and used safely for decades.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace