Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Blow our water lines or add RV antifreeze

i got a water tank cap with a air valve yesterday , then blew out all the water lines,bypassed the hotwater tank , should i leave it or add RV anitifreeze ,the water pump already has a bypass hose to stick in jug of antifreeze.up to now.i have added 3 jugs into the main water tank on our other RVs., never knew about a bypass on the pump ? duh.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I always did both air and pink when winterizing the 5er. Felt it was worth the bit of extra effort to be really comfortable the system would be working next summer.

Took less than a gallon of pink to fill the lines. Was easy to flush the system in the spring. Just hooked up to the water tap and ran a lot of water through the system. When flushing the system in the spring added some bleach to the water and sanitized the system. Win - win!

Supposed to be a very cold winter in your neck of the woods. My theory was any water that was not blown out would be diluted with the pink so any low spots would be protected.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Stuck on this issue myself. The last couple years I had a trailer on a permanent site so used the pink stuff to winterize when campground closed. This year traded it for a motor home and wanted to use the blowout system because we plan on going out a couple of times over the winter months. Much easier just to plug everything back up and head out. Do not want to run into issues either so debating the issue and looking for feedback as well.
RV Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the Dutch Stars I always used the tank bypass and filled the lines with antifreeze, when I bothered to winterize. Otherwise I just kept heat in the rig and wet bay.
With the present rig I'll just keep heat in it, a few fans to distribute it and one electric element of the AquaHot on plus the burner for really cold (25° or so) weather.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Before building myna garage I always used the blow out method for water lines to winterize.

Pour antifreeze in drains and tanks.

Never had an issue, also never had to flush antifreeze out of my water lines.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

I've owned campers, trailers, and motorhome for the last 35 years and have always drained them very well and blue out the lines with a compressor. I've never once had a problem but we also stop camping right after Labor Day so I think between blowing it out and the fact that it has a few months before it gets to be freezing, we haven't had a problem. Using the antifreeze is supposed to be better but blowing it out has worked for me. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
blow out water and add anitifreeze

thanks, will wait for few weeks. might go out for one more weekend,,then will drain, blow and add some Unclefreeze...
Old 10-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I know of folks who have blown their lines out and some
have had problems in the spring with freezing damage from
water that collected in a low area due to sloppy workmanship
by the manufacturer. I have never met anyone who used the
pink stuff and had a problem. Plus, you have to flush and
sanitize your water system every spring anyhow.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I like to blow out the lines, and I found even doing that the water pump filter still has water in it . I will unscrew the wp filter, and empty to complete the blow out. I then will use the pump to add enough anti freeze to protect the water pump. We head south late Nov so kind of a basic winterizing. When we were here for the full winter I would blow the lines , then add anti freeze through out the system. Better safe then sorry !! FYI be sure to open pressure relief valve while draining hot water tank, to be sure it is drained completely!! I missed that step tank still had water froze and broke $$$$$$.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #10

Blow out is all I ever did until we got a washer. Now, I do both.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
i got a water tank cap with a air valve yesterday , then blew out all the water lines,bypassed the hotwater tank , should i leave it or add RV anitifreeze ,the water pump already has a bypass hose to stick in jug of antifreeze.up to now.i have added 3 jugs into the main water tank on our other RVs., never knew about a bypass on the pump ? duh.
What is this bypass hose? Could this be the clear capped flexible plastic tube that tees off the main fresh water tank draw line with a valve at the tee?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Poppy View Post
Stuck on this issue myself. The last couple years I had a trailer on a permanent site so used the pink stuff to winterize when campground closed. This year traded it for a motor home and wanted to use the blowout system because we plan on going out a couple of times over the winter months. Much easier just to plug everything back up and head out. Do not want to run into issues either so debating the issue and looking for feedback as well.
We're in Michigan and our last camping is going to be at the end of October and then winterize and go into storage until the last weekend in November when we're heading out for a month or more before returning.

I'm considering winterizing and then adding antifreeze using the pump bypass and not putting any antifreeze in the tank.

Then right before we head out blowing out the antifreeze and filling the water tank but not using the water until we're sure were south enough to not care about freezing.

My theory is putting in the antifreeze will take care of any water not blown out and then blowing out the antifreeze will require less flushing when we get where we're going.

I'm not going to worry about sanitizing in November because we're putting it away clean and we probablly won't drink much of the water anyhow. Although the pink stuff is non toxic and by blowing it out and flushing out what little is left we should be fine.

Coming back I can blow out the system in the last campground or even a rest stop and then add the antifreeze when I'm back in my driveway.

That's my plan, it may change depending on the weather.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
What is this bypass hose? Could this be the clear capped flexible plastic tube that tees off the main fresh water tank draw line with a valve at the tee?
Sure sounds like one. In practice, that valve selects where the pump is drawing from - water tank vs. water jug.

I just wanted to add that with a water heater by-pass in place, the setup allowing the pump to suck antifreeze, and a drain valve installed outside on the water heater, after a couple of uses, you'll likely find that this procedure takes just minutes, and with care can often be done with just 1 gallon of antifreeze (assuming no washing machine or ice maker).

When heading from freezing weather into warm, we carry water in a couple of jugs for the lav, and drinking water in bottles. Making no attempt to use the water system until well into the warmer temps.

On the return, we dump the holding tanks and rinse well. Then when driving into freezing weather, we open the low point, fresh water tank, and water heater drains as we leave. The road motion will empty the system fairly well. From that point, closing the drains and winterizing can be done in 10 minutes or less with a gallon or 2 of anti freeze, and dumping the holding tanks is all that's required to store it.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #14

I've always blown out the lines with 25psi, then pour RV antifreeze into the drains to push any residual water towards the holding tank.

Tags
water