Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #29

Looks great! So where are you taking it for your first camping trip?
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
I bet someplace..Warm!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #31

Bill,Fleamarketer,and Harvey,

Thanks for the comments and I will keep them coming. I have been busy but mostly wiring this week. I am ready to do insulation after running 2 new wires. I will get back at it as soon as the friggin rain stops. I hope to have the ply wood on this weekend.

Capt. Dan and Lorna. the first trips are going to be near by camping trip shake downs then I am off to TN in Early June and to the Wisconsin Dells at the end of June for a week. I plan to have it running and looking good by then.

I will have more pics as soon as the rain lets up.

Thanks

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #32

I know in terms of computer time it's been awhile since we have heard from you.Don't get me wrong,where is I'm am in the cheap seats looking at a great rebuild cheering you on.

That said,keep the progress posts coming.

Might be some day I'll meet-up with you Ken bringing my MH "Baby".

Gary
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #33

Nothing new to report yet I have been waiting for it do dry up around here. Just when I hoped it would stop raining here Iam at work and it starts up AGAIN!!!! the "so-called" weather man says it's going to be nice on Sunday so I plan to make some hay whilst the sun is shining. I will get pics and keep you posted.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #34

OK kids...... Time for another update.....

(finally)

I got some good but chilly weather to work in and got some things accomplished. First things first. I got to take the cover completely off this time and proceeded to cut and pop in all my insulation. Got Keri(wifey) to help me out with it and made quick work.

***SIDE NOTE*** I tried this and it made things much easier on the insulation. I got all the measurements and jotted them down on some paper and gave them all numbers then using a sharpie I wrote the number and measurements on the space I was putting the insulation in. I then took all 86 measurements down to the work table and began cutting them all out, numbering them as i went. we then got back up on the roof and began dropping them in to place. other than minor trimming it went great. and only had to make a couple of up and down trips to get all stuff to the roof.
***now back to your regularly scheduled thread**

once the insulation was in place it was time for the ply wood. here is how that went. I laid them out perpendicular to the frames so I could lock them together when they were all screwed down. I started on the drivers side and worked my way to the back. I had to offset the front piece to get it to line up with the frame work.the second lines up behind it but I did need to make a 2 1/4" trim and a notch for the gray water tank vent.

you can also see my numbering scheme in the insulation.

Next I moved to the bath room piece on the very back. I originally was going to split this in half as with the rest of the roof but once I took the measurements and saw how small the piece was going to be, I just cut it from one piece of ply wood and put it up. I test fit it up there and took my pencil and traced out the roof vent then took measurements to locate the hole for the black water tank vent and put it back down on the table and cut the holes. once cut I popped it up on the roof and it fell right in to place first shot! ( I was so proud of my self.....)

The roof to this point.

Next up was to cut the plywood that covered all the vent holes. once that was done it was on with more plywood. I put up the passenger side starting with the piece closer to the bathroom since I had some extra cutting to do for the fridge vent. once that was cut I laid down the glue and screwed it down.

Now the final piece. I took the measurements and cut it down to fit the space I had left. I only had to trim 6 1/4" from the front to get it right. once trimmed I glued and screwed it down as well.

Here is the roof with all the plywood in place.

It got dark on me before I could get the first piece trimmed and the vent holes cut the rest of the way out but I will get on that this week in the mornings before work.(I work second shift BTW) I am also trying to track down a new piece of rubber for the roof. the original was in good shape but If I can buy a new one, I would rather. I will keep you posted. that's all for now but I will have more soon! Next is finishing up the interior work before paint!

WOO HOO!!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looks Good Buddy!!! Coming along nice. You can get rubber roof kits for a couple of hundred usually.Don't know of a source but try a google search and see what pops up!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #36

Camping World has them from Dicor =>

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=6744&src=SRQB\

Costs a bit more than what Cap was saying though.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #37

You might try commercial roofing companies for some EPDM membrane. For your size needs, they might even have a piece that would be scrap to them on a big commercial roof sort of scale. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hmmm, Wonder where they got mine from???? On the work order it says $226.00 for the membrane. ??
Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #39

Was it Dicor EPDM? Brand may have something to do with it. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
To tell you the truth, It doesn't say and I never thought to ask..
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #41

well Kids, no updates so far. I have located a place to get the roofing from but they won't have any in until monday. I haven't been able to work an anything until this roof comes in and that's keeping me from getting anything else done. the only thing that's happened lately is I got in an accident and wrecked my truck. sucks but no one got hurt. now I have to see what they do with my truck. when it rains it pours.........

I hope to have good news some tuesday.

till then. have fun..

Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Freebie, sorry about the truck but glad to hear no one hurt!!Good luck with the roof,