Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 06:38 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Buzzing noise

I'm hearing a buzzing noise when connected to shore power. It is coming from the braker panel on the foot of the bed. Is there a transformer or something behind there?
My coach is 1992 American Eagle M38J
dan412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 07:23 AM   #2

A coach that old probably still has one of the old linear battery charger converters init. Those things are notorious for buzzing, and cooking your batteries.
They did tend to buzz when on shore power.

You need to upgrade that convertor to one of the drop-in replacements from a place like Progressive Dynamics.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #3

The original Magnetech 12 volt converter in my '93 Newmar buzzed fairly loudly. In a compartment under my head where I sleep. It was simple to upgrade to a newer "Progressive Dynamics" brand one that produces less heat. It also hums but is a LOT quieter than the old one. It also has a fan for when it gets hot and is supposed to regulate the charging of the batteries. (I've yet to see or hear the fan run.) Versus the old one which was just a big transformer in a plastic case with no circuit boards or any electronics inside at all.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
The original Magnetech 12 volt converter in my '93 Newmar buzzed fairly loudly. In a compartment under my head where I sleep. It was simple to upgrade to a newer "Progressive Dynamics" brand one that produces less heat. It also hums but is a LOT quieter than the old one. It also has a fan for when it gets hot and is supposed to regulate the charging of the batteries. (I've yet to see or hear the fan run.) Versus the old one which was just a big transformer in a plastic case with no circuit boards or any electronics inside at all.
Actually the old MagnaTek’s had a ferro-resonant transformer, rectifiers, and a load resistor (I don’t remember if it had a capacitor of any type, probably not). And a fan.

The fan came on when a heavy 12 volt load was being utilized or when when the batteries were low on charge - and shore power was applied.

The PD units have a fan as well, but because it is controlled by a microcontroller, the fan rarely comes on. Again, when it does - it’s when there is a heavy load on the unit.

The PD units are also far more efficient so as to be even less likely to run the fan.

But when the fan runs, be certain there is plenty of clearance around the unit!
Old 06-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #5

I found out what the noise is it's the automatic transfer switch. Now I just need to find a new one.
dan412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Actually the old MagnaTek’s had a ferro-resonant transformer, rectifiers, and a load resistor (I don’t remember if it had a capacitor of any type, probably not). And a fan.
OK. The Magnetek converter is on the floor of my garage as I was considering its worth as a power supply for something else. There is little to no circuitry in it as is very visible through the ventilation slots and certainly no fan. Not the first time someone has told me I have a fan in spite of the evidence before my eyes. Perhaps newer or other models had them.

My converter is in the rearmost pass through storage compartment. The old one it produced so much heat that when plugged in I would leave both compartment doors unlatched to allow a little air circulation. With the new one I have experimented with both doors shut and the heat doesn't strike me as excessive but I still leave one door ajar on shore power. Seems like they would have put louvers in the doors or something for ventilation. Hmmm...louvers....like I need another project. But leaving a door afar is so inelegant.

My transfer switch also hums, but to a lesser degree than the converter. I never thought if it being a problem. If it were loud I guess I would.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep... also have the Mangnetech 12 volt model 8345 (series 8300 A) converter w/battery charger. When making noise it's rhythmic in nature. Just keep them dusted out and they're very reliable.

Ratings are:

Input 7.8 Amps 120 VAC 60HZ
Output 45 Amps 12 VDC
12 VDC Feedback - Max fuse size 20 Amp
(Average charge rate .5 Amps)

Class CTL Panelboard-Type 1
Electrical rating: Max Main 30 Amps 120VAC
Old 06-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
A coach that old probably still has one of the old linear battery charger converters init. Those things are notorious for buzzing, and cooking your batteries.
They did tend to buzz when on shore power.

You need to upgrade that convertor to one of the drop-in replacements from a place like Progressive Dynamics.
How difficult of a job is it? Plug & play?
Old 06-19-2022, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
How difficult of a job is it? Plug & play?
Yes, Plug’n’Play.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
OK. The Magnetek converter is on the floor of my garage as I was considering its worth as a power supply for something else. There is little to no circuitry in it as is very visible through the ventilation slots and certainly no fan. Not the first time someone has told me I have a fan in spite of the evidence before my eyes. Perhaps newer or other models had them.

My converter is in the rearmost pass through storage compartment. The old one it produced so much heat that when plugged in I would leave both compartment doors unlatched to allow a little air circulation. With the new one I have experimented with both doors shut and the heat doesn't strike me as excessive but I still leave one door ajar on shore power. Seems like they would have put louvers in the doors or something for ventilation. Hmmm...louvers....like I need another project. But leaving a door afar is so inelegant.

My transfer switch also hums, but to a lesser degree than the converter. I never thought if it being a problem. If it were loud I guess I would.
Pretty much anything that uses electrical energy creates heat - newer technologies tend to loose less heat than older technologies.

The amount of heat generated in the bay where the convertor is located isn’t enough to be hazardous. The more you use battery power only and then use the converter to recharge, the more heat is generated.

But I wouldn’t give a second thought to upgrading. Period.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
The amount of heat generated in the bay where the convertor is located isn’t enough to be hazardous.
Didn't think it was "hazardous". It's just that in my experience electrical and electronic products tend to last longer and perform better when they are not overheating and decent ventilation certainly helps with that. As the new converter was not exactly pocket change cheap I'd kind of like it to last me a while. And of course it's a critical piece of equipment I'd like to be reliable.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes, Plug’n’Play.
You happen to know which model from Progressive?
Old 06-20-2022, 04:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
You happen to know which model from Progressive?
https://www.progressivedyn.com/conve...ference-guide/
Old 07-01-2022, 05:20 AM   #14

Well I got my new transfer switch took it out of the box and it's about three times bigger than the old one that's under the bed. I looked in where the shore power cord is and found another transfer switch that's like the big one. The one under the bed is for the power inverter it only powers one circuit where do I find one of those?

Tags
noise