Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Can I Plug Into Running Generator?

My 1993 Minnie Winnie does not have an automatic switchover for running on generator power. Rather, you plug the RV's shore power cord into a 30 amp outlet located within the storage compartment for the power cord itself. The generator runs that outlet.

The generator starts and runs fine without the RV plugged in; but when I first plug in the RV to the generator's outlet, the generator starts but stops when I release the start button.

Is it safe to start the generator and then plug the RV into the generator's outlet while the generator is running?
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Yes it is safe but not ideal. When you plug any cord into a live receptacle you may (will) cause arcing to the plug, eventually resulting in a burnt plug. I think your gen is shutting off because you are plugging in with an electrical load. Turn off as many appliances as possible and then the gen will start and run. After the gen warms up turn on the loads one at a time. Then you may need to manage your loads so as not to overload the gens wattage rating.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

I thought I had everything off. No lights, turned off refrigerator and AC. Anything that may be running "in the background" and would not notice it?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only big loads will affect the gen on start up. Have you never been able to start the gen with the cord plugged in. Does everything run when plugged in to shore power? Does the gen ever idle up? Can you manually idle up the gen? Are the blades on the cord plug clean ( not brown or arc burnt ) Do have an electric heater you can plug into the running gen. If the gen runs under the heater load I would suspect the cord. These are just what ifs. We need to narrow down the possibilities.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe drop main breaker in the RV before plugging in the shore power cable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bobski...did you fix it. Follow thru is important when you ask for help. We will stay with you , if you stay with us...
Old 07-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

Have not tried yet but will let you know. MH not kept at home.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Yes it is safe but not ideal. When you plug any cord into a live receptacle you may (will) cause arcing to the plug, eventually resulting in a burnt plug.
I think your gen is shutting off because you are plugging in with an electrical load.
Turn off as many appliances as possible and then the gen will start and run. After the gen warms up turn on the loads one at a time. Then you may need to manage your loads so as not to overload the gens wattage rating.
adamfolger
If that where true nobody could plug any electric cord into any electrical receptacle without damaging the plug.

However I do agree that if there is no ATS, (automatic transfer switch), as many appliances as possible should be turned OFF ...and that the generator should be allowed to warm up, (stabilize), BEFORE the RV power cord is plugged into the generator output receptacle.....and that all electrical loads need to be managed, (whether using generator power, or shore power, or inverter power).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

I also plug my shore cord into either an outside source or my generator. I have a main breaker in my generator compartment that I flip off until the genset is up and running.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski12 View Post
The generator starts and runs fine without the RV plugged in; but when I first plug in the RV to the generator's outlet, the generator starts but stops when I release the start button.

I'm a little concerned that the unit runs if you hold the start button in. This typically could mean that there's something wrong on the generator side. Hopefully not the case. I just know that I've accidentally turned the generator on with loads and it didn't shut down. (Onan 4ky model)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

First locate and read the service manual.

Most newer devices have safety devices and one example is oil pressure interlock.

What this does is protect from low oil level be requiring oil pressure for ignition to function.

If oil pressure drops then engine shuts off.

Problem is when starting engine no oil pressure so no ignition so no start which is the old " catch 22"

So the system is wired such that when start button is pushed the interlocks are bypassed to allow the "unsafe condition" to be ignored to allow the engine to start.

When it starts the conditions usually are met before start button released and everyone is happy.

So get a copy of your manual and review the troubleshooting and operating sections to see if that is a possibility then determine why it is acting up.

Low oil or loose wire could be issue.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

An Update

OK, finally got a chance to check out the generator again.

The generator still will not stay started, now even with no load at all. Holding the start button, the gen runs, the carb revs a bit, but when I take my finger off of the button, the carb tries to give it full gas and it stalls.

Fuel pump appears to be pumping like crazy. The spark plug looks good. The engine oil was changed in January and is still at full.

The carb and the fuel filter were changed by the previous owner in January due to the same symptoms - I have the receipt. But I'm still leaning toward the carb.

Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

You need one of them spark detectors or a timing light on one of the plug wires. They blink when spark is happening.

Get it running and let go of the start button and see if it continues to spark as it dies.

If no spark, check shutdown system.
If spark, check fuel system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Possibly your carb is gunked up. Did you use any fuel conditioner for the generator before storing it away?

Generators need to be run monthly and run hard with LOTS of loads. The more the better.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator