Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Carpet must go.....what wood look flooring?

New to RVing. The carpet must go. Have just bought a small class A. Want wood or wood look floor. Floating or glue down? What kind? Price a consideration but not a panic. I have a wealth of skills and tools. I just only put down one floating floor for a friend a year ago so kinda new to flooring. Floor under carpet is solid, no leaks. What works best in RV? Less than 100 square feet, Thanks in advance.
britcardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #2

Look up Luxury Vinyl Plank, or LVP. There's some amazing stuff out there that's waterproof, flexible enough for MH installation, and indistinguishable from wood. High end homebuilders and remodelers are using it now.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

Allure at Home Depot is popular with RV’rs. We used it and are happy with it. Easy install and it has a history of being durable. It’s vinyl and we’ve used it on our motorhome but our first experience with is was with a fifth wheel before the motorhome.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #4

is Allure a floating floor? Do you anchor it on one side? I have no slide outs.
britcardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently replaced all of my carpeting with hand scraped engineered hardwood flooring. With the hand scraped, you can easily repair any nicks, etc. and it blends in. We glued the flooring down. One thing I learned in doing this is that because of the confined space, it is much easier to back butter each piece rather than spread the glue across the floor. The expert on flooring is Ernie Ekberg and if you have any questions he is very helpful. You can contact him and look at some pictures at:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...andrepair/info
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Look up Luxury Vinyl Plank, or LVP. There's some amazing stuff out there that's waterproof, flexible enough for MH installation, and indistinguishable from wood.
Allow me to second that suggestion. LVP is cheap -- under $2 per sq ft. I did my whole 1200 foot basement. Glued it directly to the concrete -- no prep and no sub-floor. Lightweight, easy to clean. And, the glue never dries. If a piece is damaged, you just peel it up and lay a new one.

One small piece of advice: since LVP uses a picture of a piece of wood, there is a pattern repetition. Make sure your installer mixes them up well so you don't have the same knot-hole appearing three times in a row on adjacent planks.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=lvp
Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
New to RVing. The carpet must go. Have just bought a small class A. Want wood or wood look floor. Floating or glue down? What kind? Price a consideration but not a panic. I have a wealth of skills and tools. I just only put down one floating floor for a friend a year ago so kinda new to flooring. Floor under carpet is solid, no leaks. What works best in RV? Less than 100 square feet, Thanks in advance.
We used a "click-lock" vinyl plank flooring on our old Southwind. No gluing, each plank locks in all 4 sides, cut it with a razor knife. Easy to install yourself.

Loved it; completely waterproof and looked stunning. Just something off the shelf at Lowe's, if I recall correctly.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Look up Luxury Vinyl Plank, or LVP. There's some amazing stuff out there that's waterproof, flexible enough for MH installation, and indistinguishable from wood. High end homebuilders and remodelers are using it now.
absolutely right,used it on my last project and using it again on current project!
iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #9

We’re replacing the carpet in the coach with cork flooring later this year. We installed cork over a cement slab bonus rooom in the house that leads to an outdoor cooking and dining area 8 years ago, and it still looks new. The cork in the house is on a thin felt and plastic underlayment and the “tiles” snap together.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh great, youve just given me something to add to my loooong todo list. Wonderful idea!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just finishing installing 4mm vinyl 12" x 24" click lock floating floor. Did not go with a wood look but more of a light colored stone with no grout lines. Went down very easy with little waste. Easy to cut by either scoring and snapping or cutting with a hand saw. Was $1.68 a sq ft at Floors and Decor. The pics are before I added shoe molding along the edges. Cutting all the molding was almost as much work as installing the vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_120612.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	237274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_133555.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	237275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_133550.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	237276   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_133631.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	237277  

Old 03-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #12

Looks Great!!!
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #13

Floor

Vinyl Plank works well i put it down a few years ago and still looks very nice. You can get it from fairly cheap to high end but in a small rv i would go the more expensive stuff. I went in my fix up book and i paid 1.98 sq ft 4 years ago. Lowes
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Two cents here....I suggest LifeProof brand LVP at Home Depot. It's a bit more than the Allure but I go it the sense it's a better product than Allue line of LVP.

Honestly I don't know which is best. I just found the style I liked and bought the 6 boxes my RV needs. Hot it a whole 20˘ a sq. ft. Off at $2.79/sf.

It is thicker and I liked one if the variable length plank models. It's a click lock and all of them are floating.

I saw some really nice wood engineered pecan on clearance but, thankfully, there wasn't enough or I would have been so tempted at $2/sf for Pergo. Then all the other factors came to mind like expansion, warping, liner, underlayment...etc...and I totally better from that brief bout if it.

I'll probably be installing mine in a couple weeks after I get chassis stuff done and a wash, seal & polish....that I just don't want to do!

Tags
carpet, floor, flooring