Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #1

I have read the repairs posted about ceiling damage.With mine I looked at the ceiling and found one one layer of the 1/4 coming down and the rest still attached and dry rotted.(that was in the worse part of it)I haven found any screws attaching it yet.I was wondering if anyone had a drawing of the joists and the design?.What are the joists made of?.Is it possible the ceiling was glued?.Was it made where there are wt bearing walls?.The thing I fear the most is creating more damage than I have now because I don't know what I am looking at.The RV I have is a 1981 Winniebago Brave(not a chief) that is 20' long on a Chevy chassis.Thanks all for your advise in advance-Gary.

P.S.:I created this post aside from the others so everyone would know it is a new question.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #2

I have read the repairs posted about ceiling damage.With mine I looked at the ceiling and found one one layer of the 1/4 coming down and the rest still attached and dry rotted.(that was in the worse part of it)I haven found any screws attaching it yet.I was wondering if anyone had a drawing of the joists and the design?.What are the joists made of?.Is it possible the ceiling was glued?.Was it made where there are wt bearing walls?.The thing I fear the most is creating more damage than I have now because I don't know what I am looking at.The RV I have is a 1981 Winniebago Brave(not a chief) that is 20' long on a Chevy chassis.Thanks all for your advise in advance-Gary.

P.S.:I created this post aside from the others so everyone would know it is a new question.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

My answers are based on our 1977 Class C... most of our RV's seem to be built the same, with a few minor variables...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fleamarketer:
I was wondering if anyone had a drawing of the joists and the design?.What are the joists made of? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I doubt that anyone has a drawing. We found NO joist except a few "nailers" that were used to attach the ceiling cabinets and the tall cabinet. The ceiling is just (from exterior) a sheet of aluminum; a sheet of 1 1/2" blue foam board (at a guess, manufactured by DOW); 1/8" luan paneling... sidewall and other framing is 2X2 and 4X2 (2x4 laid on side) with paneling attached.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it possible the ceiling was glued?.Was it made where there are wt bearing walls? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> The ceiling is glued with contact cement. Framing members are stapled together (ours was only stapled on one side... like they laid the walls out on the floor and then stapled it together... stood the walls up in the RV floor and screwed/stapled to the floor... the roof is supported by the side walls... The side wall are your load bearing walls. Other minor walls, like the bathroom walls and any partion walls, are usually holding up part (or each end, if you are lucky) of a "nailer board" to hang the upper cabinets off of and to provide a place to attach the partion & bathroom walls
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #4

This is a fiberglass body.Thought they would have glassed in hoists to attach the celing to.I'll try the winniebago section of this site and the posts that list old repair manuels or owners manuels.At one time I did call the winniebago dealer here and he said he could still get manuels for this,but for him to order them he needed the numbers off the drivers side door.Going to take a closer look at this on Tuesday.Will let you know what I found out.Thanks for your kind reply,Gary.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #5

I noticed you had called Winnebago to get a new manual for your Brave. I too have a 81 Brave and am desperatly looking for a manual. I called Winnebago and they told me to call customer service. I have been doing that for the last two weeks and CONNOT get anyone to answer the phone. Am I missing something? Did you end up getting your manual? How did you go about doing it?
langus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #6

I have a 1981 Warrior.But none the less,the last time I looked into a manuel for this RV,I called Winnebago and they ref'ed me to the local dealer.When I called them,the parts department told me they needed the numbers of the driver's side door to have winnebago do a search of their records.That's as far as I got.Now the project of restoring this RV is back on track,I will be taking the Rv to the dealer to see what I can find in service manuels and owners manuels.

Gary
Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

Well,I'm all fired up to scrape off more blue board to see how this Warrior was built and to see where the roof is leaking.Going to start where the worse of the damage is in the bathroom.I brought my RV from storeage and parked it in front of my place.It is right under my bedroom window.I looked down and saw a seal the goes right down the center of the roof.It is fiberglass.Each side if the roof overlaps the side and I am having a hard time seeing where that seam would leak or how I could seal it back up.I will remove side pannels inside the MH to see if I can figure that out.The center seam seems to have a gap,so that is one area I will seal back up before I do any ceiling repair.Just trying to figure how I'm going to get to the part of the roof.Don't want to walk on the roof and put ANY wt on it.Guess I got to rent a scafold that would span over the top of MH to be right over the center of it and reseal it laying on the scafold on my belly.Any input as to how to do this part of the job??????.

As a side note,part of my plans to remodle the inside of this Warrior is to take out the bunk beds and put in a small table to eating and my computer.The back side nearest to the bathroom I want to build a closet/dressor where this MH lacks room for that.The main table will be the master bed never to be changed back to the kitchen table again.New carpet thru out is also in the plan with all new pad also.

But before I go at it at all,need to know about any effects of mold would have on me.It is a 24 year old RV and for sure it must have mold invloved somewhere.I see some on the slider window channels.Want to know how to kill it and or get rid of it forever.

This will by winter become my home.Honestly the first one I have ever owned.I want to do it right and never look back.It may not be pretty now,but I am very proud to own my first home.

It's maid trip will from Roch NY to mid Ohio at the end of Aug.I will camp there for a wk at a place yet not figured out yet.The inside will be a work inprogress.Just hoping to have the roof reseal done by then and the luan and blue board done.I am hoping you folks will help me make this first trip one which I won't get sick from the mold problem.

Thanks all in advance,

Gary

BTW:does the slider windows come out be lifting them out(top to bottom) so I can really get after that with bleach and a brush????.With this MH being so old,I'm afraid of breaking something I can't replace.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #8

Well I was wrong about the roof being fiberglass.(LOL-I have been know to be wrong from time to time!!)The roof I found to be what likes like tin.As I scraped more blue board off I found the center seam to be wide open.Darn.And no roof hoists at all.What a bad design that is.So it is off to the RV dealer to see what they suggest for a roof sealer.Man,you would think Winnebago years ago would have atleast riveted the two sides together.Might be they didn't because they wanted a expandsion joint.Huh????.But I really want to get after it and fix the problem A.S.A.P.Thought I read about the product you guys use for roof sealer.Going to have to reread some of the posts.Any suggestion you have please post to this thread.

Thanks,

Gary

P.S.:by the time I have her done,I'll have her sealed up so tight he'll float.Hummmm,might want to consider perpellers and a rudder.LOL-J/K
Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #9

You might want to rethink the "carpet thru out" aspect. Campgrounds can and do generate lots of dirt... some more than others.

After you get the seam sealed up,you want to coat the entire roof with a rubberized roof coatin (comes in a can and you roll it on with a roller). Sure makes the metal roof quieter in a rainstorm.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey buddy, had to find your post and get it up with the rest of us workers!!
How is the roof doing on yours? And have you come up with any ideas about the floor? We decided to go with hardwood floors. I don't know how that will work with road noise but it will be easier to clean for sure! We are gong to keep carpet in the cab area. I need to get a big piece of carpet in the cab area, 8X12 or something like that in a green teal!! I am going to make a dash mat for the cab to out of some of that carpet! That will get rid of some of the brown and the dash will be cooler with the added insulation of the carpet!
Anyway let us know how it is going, Capt Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote