Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Changing out carpet for vinyl flooring

Our Revcon class A has some super plush carpeting throughout. With two dogs and two young kids, the prospect of traveling and trying to maintain the carpet is...a lost cause. The carpet covers the floors, about 36" up the walls, up into the cockpit and over the doghouse cover.

We would like to change at least the floor covering to some sort of vinyl product. I'm leaning toward a glue-down VCT for ease of installation, wife wants sheet vinyl/linoleum because she thinks tiles will eventually separate at the seams from driving. My biggest concern though, is the loss of sound insulation when the carpet comes out. The doghouse, I can apply some sort of insulation and then cover with a leatherette type stuff, but I'm not sure if there's a reasonable option for the floor and walls. Something that's firm enough to walk on, that will accept vinyl floor adhesive, and provide good sound deadening. Anyone have any creative suggestions or been through this before?
sploke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2022, 10:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I put in vinyl planks that clip in. Not glued. That way it can move a bit with the expansion and contraction, twisting or flexing, so far it's holding up well after 8 months of full time use so far. I have a black lab and cats

I think it was Smartcore from Lowes, the instructions said not to use an underlayment. So I just pulled all the staples and sanded plywood floor to remove any lumps or bumps and installed it. Took maybe a day and a half or two days I don't remember. I was still working my full time job at the time so I could only work on the floor a few hours a day.

Original as I bought it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	986d84d51cc4b28a4439a369e5cf4889.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	358696

After lots of work making it the way I wanted it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210130_135916.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	358697
Old 03-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #3

Viking257 -- I really like the look of what you did.
I have an 03 Dutch Star and need to change out the carpet as well (was done once by previous owners as well). I don't want to put carpet back down and really like how the vinyl planks look against the tile --- that transition is what the significant other is battling with -- and why she just wants carpet again.

She is not a visual person but showing her what you did and how well it looks against that tile, i may have a chance to swing the update.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking257 View Post
I put in vinyl planks that clip in. Not glued. That way it can move a bit with the expansion and contraction, twisting or flexing, so far it's holding up well after 8 months of full time use so far. I have a black lab and cats

I think it was Smartcore from Lowes, the instructions said not to use an underlayment. So I just pulled all the staples and sanded plywood floor to remove any lumps or bumps and installed it. Took maybe a day and a half or two days I don't remember. I was still working my full time job at the time so I could only work on the floor a few hours a day.

Original as I bought it.
Attachment 358696

After lots of work making it the way I wanted it.
Attachment 358697
Interesting, thanks...I wasn't sure how a floating floor would hold up in an environment like an RV. I think my biggest concern would be, I'd be taking away a lot of the "float" after screwing down chairs, couches, etc and I wasn't sure how that would end up. On the upside I don't have any slides so that's one big hassle I don't have to work around.
sploke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #5

Floating floors expand and contract , the greater the floor size the more the movement. Floors in RV's are not very large and the amount of movement will be very little. I have vinyl planking and in some areas it's tight against walls etc. no issues have happened in a few years. Go for it.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #6

I have put vinyl plank down in several RV's, and have it in my own. It is wonderful. Easy to clean, looks nice. Don't glue - let it float. Put a thick bead of silicone down around the outside edge between it and the wall to keep liquids from getting under it if you spill. Pay attention to the instructions regarding gaps. Throw some small rugs around.

I haven't noticed any noise issues.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, floor, flooring, vinyl