Originally Posted by Ruediger
What I did over the weekend: Replacing the battery. Examining all connections from the battery for corrosion. Nothing. Checked the ignition switch visually. Looks juvenile. Removed the starter. Either the engine but also the solenoid working. The starter is almost brand-new. Interestingly, the first time I replaced the starter last June, that one also working. My electrical failure as far as it looks like not new. I also checked the voltage at the starter. 12.4 V at +. But for now no real progress. When I try to crank, I hear one click. All lights in the panel turn off. Also the light at the starter battery switch. I need to disconnect the battery to return to normal. My thoughts going to a corroded ground cable. But nothing visible.
I thought about connecting the starter to an external battery. And then trying to fire up the engine. Does anybody has experience with such a procedure?
If you have jumper cable attach it negative post on battery and case on starter. If it starts right up then the issue is ground system, chase it down.
If nothing changed then go to positive post to starter. If it starts right up then the issue is that circuit.
What can happen is the heat from the electrical current can distort the contact surfaces causing an open circuit, one click and nothing defines this.
The solenoid is energized by the ignition switch. Energized solenoid supplies high amp voltage to the starter spinning over the motor.
The old shorting across the solenoid eliminates the ignition switch and solenoid.
Now if your new battery has a bad cell it can read good voltage until a load is placed on it. Same one click and nothing. Many of us here can verify new isnít a guarantee of good