Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #1

Class C Restoration

We will be getting a 1995 Fleetwood Searcher in the near future. We know there is water damage in the over the cab bunk as well as in the rear bed area. Given the amount of visible damage, it is quite surprising that there is no delamination on the exterior walls - which I find quite encouraging. We plan to tear out as much wall/ceiling as necessary to locate and repair the leaks in the roof and window surrounds and also expose the damage. I have read recommendations from other RV folks who say that the unit should sit with the damp areas exposed for several months in order to dry completely. We are in the Deep South so we will be able to do most of this work during the winter months. My big question is can we use a dehumidifier and fans/heaters to expedite the drying - I believe we can monitor the moisture level with a handheld moisture meter. Does anyone have any experience with this issue and/or advice? And please do not tell us to run away from this rv as fast as we can! We know this will be a challenge, but our initial investment is minimal and we are looking forward to this restoration!
drinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

If you are replacing the visibly water damaged wood then , controlling the rest of the interior humidity, should not take too long , week to ten days ; with the de-humidifier ; would be my best guess, removing any mattress and cushions that could retain excess moisture, while drying the interior and controlling air infiltration through the chassis HVAC, to speed the process up will help.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #3

Yep, done two of them. If there is no delam on exterior, piece of cake. Dries out quickly, with humidifier a couple of days. Common problem on C's
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Thank you so much - that's why I love this forum! So much great information shared from experience!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
drinms
In case you don't already know, eternabond tape is a great product for sealing seams and roof leaks.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
I would just like to add, don't be afraid of your project.
All you need are basic carpentry skills, tools and a good bit of free time.

I did a repair on ours a couple of years back, it wasn't all that bad. While working on it in the evenings after getting home from work, I had it mostly done in about a week, including a full day on Saturday.

Good luck!
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Just replaced the roof on the 5er. New sheeting and EPDM. Daunting when I first thought about it but took each step and it soon was done. Really happy with the outcome.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Thanks for the great comments! We will begin tearing out rotten/wet areas tomorrow. It's going to be a long process, but we are actually looking forward to tackling this new project! I'm sure we will be asking for advice and I will attempt to share some pictures.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #9

Putting a fan directed at the wet area will dry it out best. Moving air draws out the moisture.
I used Flex Seal on my roof due to the massive amounts of caulking from over the years. I think the tape might need a flatter surface.
Chris James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c