Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

Converter / charger

Hey all..

I have an old class C that has an old converter charger that I had decided to upgrade. I removed the old one and discovered that it has a auto-transfer switch that will switch the load (converter/charger) to shore power or generator power. I know that this was installed as to prevent "out of phase" hazard should someone connect shore power when the gen is running or vise versa.

I have a progressive dynamics pd4590 with the charge control wizard. The issue is that the PD unit does not have a transfer switch like the old one did. I know I can get away with running both gen and shore power lines into to the mains on the panel. However, I would be afraid that a someone would start the gen when it's on shore power and basically blow the converter out of the wall and start a fire.

Any suggestions ??

Also, the charger is working perfectly and has output at the batt lugs. However, when i check the batt voltage with gen running, I'm only showing 12.0v.. The batt cables that connect to the charger don't match the cables at the batt itself.. Any suggestions?? Do they run to another location before going to the batt ?

Thanks

PS.. The old converter charger (can't remember the name) looks to be an original version of magatek/ parrallex with "push-matic" breakers
BadLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In generator equipped RVs that didn't have an auto transfer switch, a simple outlet was installed. The main power panel led to a male 30 amp outlet (or 50 amp if needed) The shore cord was modified to the RV end with a female plug. A cord from the generator also ends in a female 30 amp plug. Which ever plug is in the outlet, that's where the power comes from.

Since only one can be plugged in at a time, no phase issues. When leaving a campsite, always unplug the shore cord and plug in the generator in case you need it while driving or stopping for lunch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter