Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #1

Crankshaft bolt 460V8

Crankshaft bolt loosened, pulley wobbled..hoping retorque will fix it...
kenvohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It might. I'd take it off and inspect it carefully for uneven wear or bending around the hole. I might even replace it anyway. Any imbalance can wear out your front main bearing and set up vibrations that could damage the engine. It's a cheap part. Loosen the belt(s) to take it off and then replacing is easier.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #3

If the crankshaft bolt loosened enough to allow the harmonic balancer to wobble, you should remove the harmonic balancer and replace the crankshaft oil seal at the front of the engine. A wobbling harmonic balancer may have damaged that lip seal, and replacing it is cheap insurance against having an oil leak there. When you put everything back together again, use a drop or two of Loctite on the (clean and dry) bolt. Make sure you use the version that will allow removal of the bolt if needed in the future.
LPBolens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Crank pulley bolt

When I ordered crankshaft pulley bolt kit from summit racing it came minus a lock washer. I was too dumb to notice the big spacer wasn't against the front seal. Caught it before shrapnel flew, engine is fine now, whew!
Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 AM   #5

I had a harmonic damper come loose on our cummins this summer... 1800 miles from home. Not cool. Got it figured out though: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/urge...ml#post4832158

I can attest to the fact that bad dampers can cause bearing wear... we had oil analysis over the last year (during which time I think the damper was probably working itself loose) which showed what had to have been main bearing wear... elevated aluminum and iron. It was a few PPM though, so after the repair of the damper, I did not bother to pull the pan and check the bearings. I'll do some more oil samples as we continue to run the engine over the coming years.

Your balancer fits over the crankshaft and is keyed... there is a lot of surface area there, so even if it was loose for a short period of time it's likely that there's no real damage? On our cummins, the damper (not a balancer since the 5.9 is internally balanced) relies on a small 3/4" post in the center of the crankshaft to keep it all concentric, and the face of the crankshaft holds it true front to back. In our case, the worry was damage to the face of the crankshaft, but we got lucky.

I did not have to change the front seal on ours... but a wobbling damper/balancer can definitely take out that seal.

If it were me, and if I thought there was a chance there could be damage to the damper or crankshaft, I would look up the spec for radial run out of your damper and give it a quick check with an indicator. Yes, blue loctite is in order here for keeping it from coming off again.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Thanks to all for reply. I had the crank bolt tight but the space the thickness of a lock washer made the engine sound like an old Mercedes diesel car. And it's a 460 Ford gasser! That was a close one, shop mechanic saw what I did, put a lock washer on and it's good as new.