Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Curious

I have a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree, on a Ford chassis. Last week took a short trip, on the way back from my short trip, it became the trip from HELL. I experience four breakdowns. Each time lost of engine power, no loss of any fluid, no overheating. Actually engine was running great. Each time I had a break down, it was like I lost engine fuel pressure. Each time I tried to call for roadside assistance, lucky for me never got a connection. I found out after 10 minutes wait, the engine would crank and run normal for several more miles then shut down again. This happen over and over. I was able to nurse the RV back home. Never did received any form of any kind of roadside assistance. Because the vehicle would shut down, and then start back up and run normal for several miles Leeds me to believe that I am experiencing a fuel pump problem. Has anyone encountered this problem?
jaydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What's the coach and chassis info???

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1988 Fleetwood Jamboree, on a Ford chassis. 460cid, 7.5L
Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
That definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel Filters?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

I'm thinking fuel pump. I don't understand why it re-starts after a rest, but that's what mine was doing.
Bobski12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Carb or EFI, 1988 it could be either or.
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #8

My 1994 Holiday Rambler with a FI 460 Ford V8 has shut down twice just as you describe. The first time was at the end of a long grade, the second time I was rolling along ay 60mph through central California on an 80 degree day.

After the first shut down I replaced the fuel filter.

After the second shut down I posted the event on iRV2 and was advised to never let the fuel tank run below half full. I’ve since followed that advice for the last 6,000 miles and lord knows how many steep grades and it hasn’t laid down on me since (knock on wood).

From what I understand the fuel pump tends to overheat when it’s not fully submerged and a safety relay turns it off. After it cools the relay closes and the pump works again.

It’s a PITA because I really hate having to buy gas every 250 miles instead of at 400 mile intervals.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the exact same model ('88 Jamboree S-26). If yours is on the '87 chassis like mine (4BBL Carb, not EFI), first thing to try is the fuel filters; they're cheap and easy. One is in the carb where the fuel line connects (small scintered-brass type). Second (and the one that caused my issues) is mounted on the frame midway from the front to the back. It's a cartridge type in a twist-on metal housing about 4 inches long and 2.5 inches in diameter. Easily changed out; I've had to replace mine twice. First time, it would cut out and lose power if I was into the throttle, but would run at lower rpm OK. 15 miles later, nursed it to an auto parts store and replaced the filters, back on the road! Second time, it did just that a couple times, but then quit on me completely before I could get to an auto parts store. Wouldn't even start. Replaced the frame filter and all was good again.

If that's not it, then fuel pump could be giving up the ghost. I've replaced mine as well; not easy to access...you gotta drop the tank. Best price I found was rockauto.com. They've got a bunch of different models; you'll want the one to match your tank size (40 gal?) and with the extra pickup for the genset. I believe this is the one I got: "AIRTEX E2060S Includes Pump, Sending Unit, Float & Strainer
Cutaway Van; E-350 Econoline Base Model; CARB; w/ 36 or 40 Gal. Rear Tank"
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our first RV View Post
Carb or EFI, 1988 it could be either or.
My 1988 happens to be EFI, after thinking about my problem, it was on my return trip and the problems began when I was below half tank of fuel. I purchase a fuel filter, plan to put on this week, then I will go from their. Hopefully the fuel filter solves the problem?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
In the "old days" your description of the problem would have been met with the reply of "vapor lock". There may be components of your fuel system which have gotten too close to the exhaust or other hot items in your engine room and the fuel has boiled so that the fuel pump could not move it. (can't pump a vapor, only liquid.) After cooling the fuel becomes liquid again and can be pumped.

I don't really know. I'm just an old fart.

ed
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydar View Post
My 1988 happens to be EFI, after thinking about my problem, it was on my return trip and the problems began when I was below half tank of fuel. I purchase a fuel filter, plan to put on this week, then I will go from their. Hopefully the fuel filter solves the problem?
Changing the fuel filter certainly won't hurt anything, but the EFI 460 is notorious for fuel pump failures until the in-tank pumps were redesigned in 1996? (Not certain on exact year). You may try not letting the tank get below 1\2 full as Geocritter suggested, and there are a couple of diagnostic tricks you can try. Use the search window and type in EFI 460 cutting out and you'll find pages related to the exact symptoms your rig is showing! Hopefully Nick-B or Subford will chime in on this thread, they are the resident 460 experts here lol! Good Luck
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a bad PIP sensor, TFI module or the frame mounted fuel pump.
In some rare incidents it could be the EEC computer doing this also.
The tank pump will not kill the engine if it stops working.

If you have not disconnected the battery after this has happened then you need to pull the codes and see what the stored codes are in the CM area of the self-test.
The KOEO and the KOER parts of the test will not tell you what the problem is.

The CM area of the self-test comes after the KOEO codes have flashed out and then a space flash and the then the CM stored codes will be flashed out.

The CM stored codes will also tell you if it is a fuel pump problem or PIP sensor also. So check the codes before throwing money at it.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydar View Post
I have a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree, on a Ford chassis. Last week took a short trip, on the way back from my short trip, it became the trip from HELL. I experience four breakdowns. Each time lost of engine power, no loss of any fluid, no overheating. Actually engine was running great. Each time I had a break down, it was like I lost engine fuel pressure. Each time I tried to call for roadside assistance, lucky for me never got a connection. I found out after 10 minutes wait, the engine would crank and run normal for several more miles then shut down again. This happen over and over. I was able to nurse the RV back home. Never did received any form of any kind of roadside assistance. Because the vehicle would shut down, and then start back up and run normal for several miles Leeds me to believe that I am experiencing a fuel pump problem. Has anyone encountered this problem?
jaydar
Sounds like you are either experiencing "vapor lock"...(aka: "fuel percolation")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock
...or as you said "a fuel pump problem"
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote