Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

Dead batteries with almost nothing on

I came home 150 miles with only the refrigerator on, and arrived home with dead batteries (2 each deep cycle 12V marine flooded batteries). At least I THINK the batteries are dead. The RV is a 24 foot Holiday Rambler pull behind trailer with added on solar panels (2 190 watt panels), and Bogart Engineering battery monitor and charge controller The interior house lights are dim, and the battery monitor has no lights. I have done NO testing yet- it is wet, dark and cold. In thinking about it, I came up with the following possibilities:
1) Bad diode in solar charge controller
2) Bad diode in either of my 2 solar panels.
3) Broken battery case, causing electrolyte loss.
4) Loose connection of a main power wire either plus or minus.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what was the problem in your case?
Jack_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2021, 03:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would check the voltage at the batteries. If dead, install a charged battery and then use your battery monitor to troubleshoot the charging situation. Does it charge via alternator, inverter/charger, solar, etc.

Do you have a generator? Does your big boy solenoid work?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #3

Are you sure something else wasn't sapping juice , cycling water pump will drain some batts down. Did you unplug recently and expect them to be fully charged when you left? Is solar only charging while driving or are batts charged via trailer plug as well.? Depending on size of solar array , many good low cost MPPT charge controllers out there if it's dead. Price goes up quick after 30 amp size.
Most multimeters will series amp test to 10 amps through them.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
Is it ON?

Tow vehicle.....does it have 7 pin connector with 'charge line' that is actually HOT?

Refrigerator ON.....
What type of fridge ?
All electric---an Electric/LP or a Electric/LP &DC
IF DC was it operating in DC Mode?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries