Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #15

I was reading the instructions on the Zep(what a concept...instructions?) and it says for floors, after the final coat is dry it can be "burnished" to a higher shine with a buffer. Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone here has tried that with a hand buffer on their "Dep'ed" coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been using the stuff for five years. Holds up well for a season and each spring I'll start over. No more work than hand waxing but I only have to do it once a year. Not recommended for painted rigs.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #17

I did our old 96 Winnebago. Every extra coat makes a difference. I had 4 coats and planned on 2 more until we traded it in. The 1st coat was "oh oh I screwed up" the 2nd coat "well it's better but still looks bad". The 3rd was good and 4 was nice and shiny.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
when i get back at it I will. Did some wet sanding with 2000 tonight on the front cap above the windshield. It is alot of work, maybe should have cleared it.
here's the back cap once waxed after using 3M fine compound. The 2nd picture will show the buffed section in the middle of the dulled/chalked fiberglass side. Sorry for the sideways pictures, someday I will have to learn how to actually fix that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_155511.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	121719   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_155519.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	121720  

Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
here's the back cap once waxed after using 3M fine compound. The 2nd picture will show the buffed section in the middle of the dulled/chalked fiberglass side. Sorry for the sideways pictures, someday I will have to learn how to actually fix that
Muey Bueno
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Been using the stuff for five years. Holds up well for a season and each spring I'll start over. No more work than hand waxing but I only have to do it once a year. Not recommended for painted rigs.

wait..."start over" ....do you strip it? If so, have you tried a good scrubbing followed by another coat of Zep?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:42 AM   #21

Well we didn't run into any Luvbugs(TN/FL/LA/TN). A quick wash of the front end had all the other bugs off in no time. The finish looks great, but out in the bright sun at times I can see a few spots that could use another coat or two. I plan on a wash/rinse and then a few more coats.

Now, when walking around in the rv parks I think...ohhh, that one over there could use the Zep treatment
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ive posted how the 82 PA was when we bought her. I used every product under the sun for removing the oxidation.
Last summer I bought some products from a car show and in the products was a pint of Metal cleaner. I read the directions and it said safe for fiberglass and gel coat so I though what the heck I'll try it in a spot where no one would see just in case.
Wow it worked magic it came out shinny beyond belief and I only got 3 sides done and in 1 coat. I'll have too keep my eyes open for it again. I haven't found it anywhere even there web site is down. I applied by hand and removed it with a professional buffer.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
wait..."start over" ....do you strip it? If so, have you tried a good scrubbing followed by another coat of Zep?
Light stripping might be a better description. I use a gallon sized garden sprayer mixed with LA Awesome (1 part Awesome, 3 parts water) to wet down first. bucket and sponge with dish soap then a green scrubby with a bit of Bar Keepers Friend on the stubborn areas. Front and rear caps get most of the attention. Zep doesn't seem to hold up over a year of weather on the caps as well as the sidewalls. Usually spend a Saturday washing and a bit of time Sunday waxing. Couple of passes with Zep restores the show room shine. Trying not to build up excessive layers over time. Labor of love.

You can go crazy and use actual stripper, TSP or even ammonia to get all of it off. It's a bit of work just like Mom did for the kitchen floors but your finger nails will never be cleaner. Apply the Zep without gloves and your nails will look better than the Miss's.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry for the sideways pictures, someday I will have to learn how to actually fix that
Umm.. Hold the phone/camera 90' over?

I was turned on to the RedMax Pro #3 / ZEP finish restorer several years ago. I tried it on the 88 Bounder we owned back then, and it was a miracle.

The key is PREP, of course, getting the fiberglass as close to bare as possible, all traces of old wax, dirt, polish, bugs, film, tar, etc etc removed.

And, as you've noted, it takes four or five coats to really POP. Each spring, I just washed her off really well and applied a coat or two to brighten the rig back up. It worked really well, and was a helluva lot easier than using a conventional auto/RV wax.

Thin coats are best - you don't want runs.

The UV protection is, of course, minimal. It's made for your kitchen floor, not something sitting out in the sun all day long.

Here's a couple from back then - 2011 and 2012, I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-LEFT Quarter - Copy.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	123509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2012-Bounder Corner 1 - Copy.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	123510  

Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #25

Looks good JJ. UV is not much of a problem here...I have a 18x60' carport that I park both the pontoon & RV under. You know, those metal ones that take about an hour to put up?....I have three of them attached together to form one long carport.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was checking our rig the other day where it is stored. Some dirt had dropped or blown onto the front cap area and I was able to blow it off. The rig still shines but when I get it out and wash it I will see about doing another coat. I think it will only make it look even better.

So glad I read about this product (Zep). Bought a 5 gallon container so it should last us the life of this rig.

When you buy an used rig and the PO has not taken good care of it, this will make a huge difference. Like another said, labor of love. You deoxidize and then wax.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote