Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #1

Difference between p30 and g30 chassis?

Hi, I have a 1992 Fleetwood Bounder 34J with a Chevy P30 chassis. I am trying to find a new spindle for the left front and not having any luck (I知 in Woodland, WA right now, but searching further afield as well.)

It seems like there is a lot of G30 stuff out there and it looks so much like the P30. Is there any chance the two are compatible?

Also, any leads on a spindle?

Any info appreciated.
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #2

I知 not sure how to delete this, but I知 moving it to the Chevrolet Chassis forum section!
Old 08-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
Hi, I have a 1992 Fleetwood Bounder 34J with a Chevy P30 chassis. I am trying to find a new spindle for the left front and not having any luck (I知 in Woodland, WA right now, but searching further afield as well.)

It seems like there is a lot of G30 stuff out there and it looks so much like the P30. Is there any chance the two are compatible?

Also, any leads on a spindle?

Any info appreciated.
In 1992 the P-30 chassis was produced with either a straight front axle or independent suspension with A-frames & coil springs.

The G-30 only came with independent suspension. The G-30's were vans, step vans & cutaways to make class c motorhomes, ambulances etc.

Tried to verify compatibility, but too many variables without more info.

Which suspension do you have?
Engine size?
Do you have rear disc brakes? It makes a difference on the front.

Only sure bet is if a straight axle, spindle is very different from G-30
code2e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #4

I don't know about the compatibility of parts. My MH is also on a P30 (or P32) chassis. It's also called a forward control chassis. A G30 has a shorter wheelbase I think. More for delivery step vans or class C motorhomes. Weight is different to, 16,000+ vs 11 or 12,000 lbs.

I would think that they might be different. Maybe try adding "forward control chassis" to your search. If you had a factory part number you might be able to compare or cross reference.

I did try a quick search and came up with nothing helpful.

I think it may be called a steering knuckle as well.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
In 1992 the P-30 chassis was produced with either a straight front axle or independent suspension with A-frames & coil springs.

The G-30 only came with independent suspension. The G-30's were vans, step vans & cutaways to make class c motorhomes, ambulances etc.

Tried to verify compatibility, but too many variables without more info.

Which suspension do you have?
Engine size?
Do you have rear disc brakes? It makes a difference on the front.

Only sure bet is if a straight axle, spindle is very different from G-30
Rear disc brakes
Independent front suspension
454 engine
Old 08-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #6

www.autopartsprime.com lists a left steering knuckle assembly for a 1992 P30. They also state that the part is discontinued.

They did state that it was the same part for several GM vehicles, including the G30.

For what it's worth, the GM part no. they show is 363735.

You maybe will have to look in a boneyard. Good luck.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:21 PM   #7

Try here: https://www.millsupply.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
www.autopartsprime.com lists a left steering knuckle assembly for a 1992 P30. They also state that the part is discontinued.

They did state that it was the same part for several GM vehicles, including the G30.

For what it's worth, the GM part no. they show is 363735.

You maybe will have to look in a boneyard. Good luck.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Rear disc brakes
Independent front suspension
454 engine
I searched around all the sources I know of, for new parts. No luck.

I did find listings under GM part numbers and it does appear the spindle, which is actually part of the steering knuckle, is the same between G-30 and P-30.
It is also true that it was used on several model years.

MinntoMich had the correct GM part number #363735

I think you are shopping for a used part. Call a larger more modern wrecking yard in your area. They will have an interchange guide either online or in book form. Hollander Interchange is the big player. It will list all vehicles that use the same part. Hopefully the yard will do a search for you and arrange shipping the used part your way.

I don't know what is wrong with your spindle, but it might be repairable. They make Speedi-Sleeves in many sizes. An automotive machinist may be able to help.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #9

The hub needed to be machined and that is done now. The issue with the spindle seems to be the calipers are bent out of place. We may have a compatible front end through Craigslist and it also has some aftermarket springs on it that could be useful.

Once this mess is fixed, my problem still remains that apparently my wheels are not properly aligned. There is a lot of wear on the inside edge of both front tires. I took it in for a wheel alignment about a year and a half ago because the wheels were wearing on the inside then as well, and although they repacked some bearings and put some new parts on, they don’t seem to have done any actual alignment (you can see the bolts were never removed.) Very frustrating and now I need to find someplace else to align them.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The hub needed to be machined and that is done now. The issue with the spindle seems to be the calipers are bent out of place. We may have a compatible front end through Craigslist and it also has some aftermarket springs on it that could be useful.

Once this mess is fixed, my problem still remains that apparently my wheels are not properly aligned. There is a lot of wear on the inside edge of both front tires. I took it in for a wheel alignment about a year and a half ago because the wheels were wearing on the inside then as well, and although they repacked some bearings and put some new parts on, they don稚 seem to have done any actual alignment (you can see the bolts were never removed.) Very frustrating and now I need to find someplace else to align them.
On the type of knuckle you have, where the caliper mount is cast as part of it. I haven't seen one bend there. Could it be the caliper bolts bent? Seen that, they are softer and only supported at inboard end.

Good luck with your Craigslist find. If those springs are from a G-30 they may be weaker than a P-30. G-30's were generally lighter in the front.

Tags
chassis, p30