Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Dometic RM7030

Any idea how many solar panels of wattage I would need to run this off of solar? I'm a carpenter new to RV living and I'm not an electrician. Any help would be appreciated yes.
Pettibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You don't give any info about other loads that will be running on the solar panels. The specs I found on the fridge look like it will take about 50 watts. You will need to run the fridge and charge the batteries during the day so the fridge will last through the night. You will need to determine what the draw is on the batteries as a whole not just what the fridge pulls. Add light that you will be using plus any fans or your heater and inverter if you use one. In other words all the 12v pull that the battery bank my incur. Double that and you may break even. Double that and you can probably get buy on sunny days. If your batteries are sized accordingly. Double it again and you can have a cloudy day or two. Remember the solar panels are rated for output in full sun. You shouldn't pull your batteries down to less than 50% or it will shorten their life a lot. If you can give some more details on your plans (i.e. dry camping only, sometimes full hookups, using the generator etc.) I'll bet someone on here can get you some more help. Welcome Aboard!
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

I have a 150 watt solar panel on the roof right now, I have two inverters, one Black & Decker Power Station/inverter and 2500w/5000w. I have 2 Interstate RV marine batteries now. Next week I will be switching those batteries to my house battery and purchasing 3 brand new Interstate Batteries. In a month from now I will be adding another 100w to my roof. After owning my own business, I'm a carpenter, for over 15 years I was hurt on the job and after 3 years of not being able to work I am now living in my summer home, my RV for which I call the Brick. I purchased it from a friend of mine who bought it out of a insurance auctioneer and it truly was an amazing find with only 30,000 miles on it no rips in the fabric, no significant body damage no holes in the seats no cigarette burns, it's just really amazing. I drove it around for a month no problems so I purchased it and moved in a month later. Here in Southern California the weather is not a problem but parking is an issue of course. I was not even aware of what boondocking meant a year ago. So when I started having issues with it and me being a carpenter with minimal mechanical skills but being mechanically inclined I went about trying to find the issue. And as I went along the less and less I could drive the vehicle without having to stop let it rest for 12 hours before I can drive it again without losing power now it's down to about five or six miles. Lucky I'm parked in an area where my needs are within walkin distance. I guess that's me, other than I'm single and my dog just died. If anybody out there could help me out with my if you I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #4

Dang it that was for my other issue with a broken screw head on my overflow sensor that I'm trying to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_142935-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	239563  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

My carpentry skills are better than my mechanical skills.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

If your running the fridge on propane, the 150 watts and 2 good batteries will probably be enough. The fridge uses very little power for the controls.

If you thinking of running it on 120 volts, without propane, thru the inverter, your on the wrong track.

It will use about 300 watts for 16 to 20 hours a day. You only get solar when the sun is shining, so you will need 1000s of watts of solar and enough battery capacity to keep it running in the dark.

The fix is to get a home type fridge. They use 1/3 or less power then RV fridges on 120 volts.
Your inverters are power hogs, that waste power white the fridge is off, so you would help yourself getting a PSW inverter with a very low idle amp draw.

Do some homework, or find an expert, to lay out a functional system.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

A bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pixlr_20190326141102373.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	239564  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #8

That is the route that I'm trying to go. During the day run the refrigerator off of solar then at night off of propane so I can save propane and not have to run it during the day. I am posting a picture of my one inverter that I use during the day to get maximum power. I am unaware of a PSW inverter. If you could elaborate I would appreciate that as I've just been and reduce to solar in the last year. I am doing my homework right now by asking a community of RV people. That way they can give me directions to go one way or another good sir.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #9

Inverter picture

Inverter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190326_141457-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	239566  

Tags
dometic